Turntable Newbie Has Questions

thebes

Hit an estate sale today to look over a Mac pre and amp for sale. They wanted $1500 for the pair so I ended up taking home a 1983 Sony PS-LX5 turntable instead. Cost $145 new and had only one owner. Speed control is through a quartz lock and its a linear torques direct drive system, with a fancy tone arm with adjustments for balance, tracking and anti-skating and drop. I do have the manual and as far as I can tell all adjustments are in order.

Hooked it up and except for some light hiss and pops only noticeable between tracks it sounds ok.

Havent used one of these in decades so I have lots of questions.

Lets start with hookups Ill be using this with both SS and tubes amps/receivers at various times and am confused over the hookups.

First up Scott 299A. Has nothing on the back that says phono but does have Mag1 and Mag2-Low and Mag2-High. Do I hook it to one of these and if so which one? On the front of the amp the selector only indicates a mono phono. Where do I set the selector? Also on the front their various switches called Channel A pickup switchable between 1 and 2; same for channel B; Rumble In and Out; Scratch On and Off and Rumble On and Off. I know what Loudness if for but whats the rest of this stuff for?

Fisher 500C has a phono high and a phono low on back. Which one should I use?

On the front it has a high and low switch and something called a MPX filter. Whats the High and MPX filter for?

On a couple of my SS receivers theres a switch on the back that allow me to set it Phono sensitivity to high or low. I think you get the picture.

Next question is grounding the player. Some of these receivers have two grounds one a standalone and one in the antenna hookup section. Any advice on which one to use?

At the same time I picked up two test lps one called: Stereo Imaging Demonstration Record by Ohm Acoustics and the Micro Acoustics Transient Tracking Ability Test demo record. Should I be using these things or were they just glorified advertising?

Grab all question. What else do I need to know?

Also would a fancy cartridge be of benefit to this low budget player?

Thebes,

First off on the Scott use either Mag 2 Low or High. Switch the pickup switch on the front to pickup 2. Now to determine the what best to use High/Low you want the turn table to play as close to the same volume as possible to what a CD produces at the same position on the volume control. It's not always possible to get all the volume you do out of a CD but the closer the better. This is the best way to set it up not knowing the particulars of the cartridge.

The Fisher is basically the same situation. The High switch serves the same purpose as your scratch filter on the Scott basically useless leave it off. The MPX filter is for FM only filter out noise on weak stations.

Ground the turn table to any available chassis screw on either the Scott or the Fisher.

I wouldn't sink to much into a cartridge the better it gets the more noise you will pickup from the cheap table. A budget shure might do wonders for it. What type of mounting setup does the table have for the cartridge P-mount or Standard 1/2" ?

Craig

Thanks for responding so fast Craig.

Not sure of the cartridge type. Pulled it off and guess what: it's a Shure serial number vn35he. It also says V15TypeIII. I've attached a page from the manual that shows the specifics of the cartridge and it must weigh more than 5.6 grams because the extra counterweight for cartridges weighing more than that is attached to the tone arm. Of course I have no idea how many hours the needle has on it.

What's the rumble switch for?

post-14801-1381925794833_thumb.jpg

It's a good cartridge assuming it hasn't been abused. Eye it to see if it's aligned properly. If the cantelever looks out of alignment you'll want to adjust it. You don't want to mess up your lps.

Use Mag 2 low on your scott and the setting on your selector knob should be the one that points straight up, 2 over from the aux setting which is all the way on the right. Ground it to one of the screws above the connections in the back. I use the one dirctly in the middle but any will do.

Mark the Scott Mag Hi isn't for ceramic type cartridges they just supplied 2 levels inputs for the wider range of MM cartridges. Its right in there manuals.

Thebes

Mag low will be your ticket for the Shure though. If its a V15 your have a descent cartridge if it isn't shot to hell. I;m not sure if a replacement stylus is available for the type III though.

Craig

----------------

On 9/18/2004 5:36:40 PM NOSValves wrote:

Gary,

His amp is a 299A and isn't exactly the same as your 299B. The RIAA setting is the proper Phono setting on the input switch but I think it one to the left of straight up on the 299A.

Craig

----------------

Sorry. Thought they had the same selector knob but you're the expert! Just make sure it's set on RIAA.

It's very nice to have the experts checking in. I appreciate it.

The selector know runs like this from lower left to right

EUR 78

RIAA NARTB Ortho

NARTB Tape(top of selector)

Tuner

Tape

I would guess that the consensus on the Scott would be to hook up the plug phono into Mag 2 Low in the back, set front Channel A switch to 2 and set the selector knob to RIAA NARTB Ortho?

For the Fisher and any SS with a hi/low switch in back set it to low?

I'm sure once I get this down I'll be able to do it without thinking.

By the way, I'm listening to some Willie Nelson on the TT right now and it sounds pretty sweet, with only a rare "pop". This guy treated his equipment and his records with respect.

It's good to know, also, that I might be able to track down a needle for this.

Which leads to another question. The manual says a cartridge is good for about 400 hours. Are they really talking about the needel?

I'll tell you how long it's been. Did you know these things have motors? Boy my finger was getting very tired trying to keep that turntable spinning at a constant speed, that is until I found the friggin start/stop switch! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Do you realize there is music on both sides of an lp? That must be why they call it Long Playing!

Never knew this stuff. I mean, hey, it was the 60's man! I mean when the music stopped I'd just exhale and say "Wow, that's really cool, man". Invariably someone would wander over in the direction of the speakers and more music would suddenly appear. "I'm tellin ya, it's, like, it's magic man".

----------------

On 9/18/2004 6:25:58 PM thebes wrote:

It's very nice to have the experts checking in. I appreciate it.

The selector know runs like this from lower left to right

EUR 78

RIAA NARTB Ortho

NARTB Tape(top of selector)

Tuner

Tape

I would guess that the consensus on the Scott would be to hook up the plug phono into Mag 2 Low in the back, set front Channel A switch to 2 and set the selector knob to RIAA NARTB Ortho?

For the Fisher and any SS with a hi/low switch in back set it to low?

I'm sure once I get this down I'll be able to do it without thinking.

By the way, I'm listening to some Willie Nelson on the TT right now and it sounds pretty sweet, with only a rare "pop". This guy treated his equipment and his records with respect.

It's good to know, also, that I might be able to track down a needle for this.

Which leads to another question. The manual says a cartridge is good for about 400 hours. Are they really talking about the needel?

I'll tell you how long it's been. Did you know these things have motors? Boy my finger was getting very tired trying to keep that turntable spinning at a constant speed, that is until I found the friggin start/stop switch! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Do you realize there is music on both sides of an lp? That must be why they call it Long Playing!

Never knew this stuff. I mean, hey, it was the 60's man! I mean when the music stopped I'd just exhale and say "Wow, that's really cool, man". Invariably someone would wander over in the direction of the speakers and more music would suddenly appear. "I'm tellin ya, it's, like, it's magic man".
----------------

Everything looks good except you need to have the Channel B switch to 2 also !

I knew you were a pot head LOL !!!!!!

----------------

On 9/18/2004 6:25:58 PM thebes wrote:

By the way, I'm listening to some Willie Nelson on the TT right now and it sounds pretty sweet, with only a rare "pop".

----------------

Yeah, he's mostly country.

Hey Gary, don't worry about it. You, like me, are not the technically inclined on this Board. Just last week I tried to help a fellow out to change a single light bulb on his amp. Don't tell me how but I got it wrong!

Just how many thebes does it take to change a light bulb anyway? (sounds like a future thread)

Besides Gary you compensate in other ways. It's my understanding you make a real mean NRBQ.

More then likely Scotto, but I don't have the numbers. I overheard someone say 3700 or something like that. Sorry that's all the info I ahve. Didn't really look them over because they were so out of my price range.