Turntable Newbie Has Questions

thebes

Thansk again Craig. I did exactly as you said on the Scott and it works perfectly. On my SS it needs the high setting but know that I know what I'm doing I can adjust as the situation and gear warrants.

fini, thanks for the heads up on the replacment needle. However, I went to the the Shure website and couldn't find any info on this exchange program. Would have also liked a cartridge fact sheet so I could check alignment etc. Where'd you find the info?

Im not sure why so people even consider using a phono stylus that is decades old. Even if the stylus itself shows little or no wear the cantilever grommet suspension stiffens up over time, changing the compliance, due to temperature and humidity changes, airborne pollution, etc. In fact, over the years Ive found that the grommet suspension typically degrades the sound quality before the diamond stylus shows any significant wear. Shure has a great deal. You send them the stylus assembly and depending on the model, theyll send you a new one for $20-$50. I just replace mine once a year. The resulting and inevitable suspension stiffening/change in compliance can ruin the vinyl just as fast as a worn stylus.

BTW, stay away from direct drive turntables. They were a big fade at one time. Theyre great for certain professional applications where they need fast start and stop response but virtually all of them have substantial amounts of low frequency rumble. The performance specs manufacturers published for direct drive tables were usually weighted in favor of not showing the TTs worst area of performance. Even an old belt drive AR table performed better than some of the most expensive direct drives.

Here you go:

http://www.shure.com/sales-service/service_policies_us.html

Give 'em a call tomorrow.

Here's some cartridge set-up info:

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

I am surprised you have not commented on my Willie Nelson response. I thought it was one of the funniest things I ever said3.gif .

Arto, I'm sure your right about direct drive, but I'm not even sure if I will build up a record collection and not just go back exclusively to cds, so for $40 bucks I get to try out lp's again with a decent el-cheapo TT with a decent cartridge. If I stick with it I can always get something better after I buy all th other junk (cleaners, brushes etc.) that go with this apsect of the hobby. The Shure deal really sounds like a good thing.

fini. You are the maestro! I almost "poped" my britches when I first read it. No wonder Henry Watkins had to take himself off to Australia for a month. Poor man reads your stuff and just despairs.

On a much sadder note, I managed to blow out the phono stage on my just Craig rebuilt Scott 299. I was shifting the TT and forgot (and I never do this) to turn off all tha amp before moving it. The RCA cables for the phono and the CD touched momentarily and a horribly loud humming sound erupted from the amp. Tried switching tubes around but no joy. At least the Tape circuit didn't blow so I can still use it for cd's until it makes another trip to Craig.

MDenen, the TT RCA cable was running form the TT to the low mag on the amp and the rca cable for the cd player was hooked into the tape input on the same amp. I was moving the TT to a new spot, forgot to turn off the amp. The TT RCA cable dragged over the top of the CD RCA cable and instantly there was a loud humming sound. It doesn't show up on Mag 1 or the Tape inputs, only on Mag2, worse on low, less on high. The right speaker sounds much worse then the left. I think the 4 12AX7a's (not sure of tube numbers, amp is upstairs) run the phono section so I tried moving them around with no joy (don't have any spares).

Struck me as strange too because the cd RCA cable is a good shielded cable but the TT cable is the thin cheap stuff. There's a lot of wires back there so maybe something else screwed it up but I happened to be looking at the back of the amp and sawy the calbes cross just as the hum started. OH, and the grounding wire was attched at the time. I mean this is a very loud serious hum, not you're normal background hum.

----------------

On 9/18/2004 6:25:58 PM thebes wrote:

I'll tell you how long it's been. Did you know these things have motors? Boy my finger was getting very tired trying to keep that turntable spinning at a constant speed, that is until I found the friggin start/stop switch! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Do you realize there is music on both sides of an lp? That must be why they call it Long Playing!

----------------

Reminds me of the guy who went in to town to buy a saw for cutting firewood. The salesman shows him the best chainsaw he has and says, With this here chainsaw you can easily cut 2 cords of firewood a day.

So the guy buys the chainsaw and goes back to the hills. A couple of weeks later he comes back with the saw and says to the salesman You said I could easily cut 2 cords of firewood a day with this here saw, but I saw and I saw and I can barely cut ¼ cord a day.

The salesman says Well let me check it out he pulls the rope and the engine starts to roar.

The guy says, Whats that?

2.gif

Thebes,

Have you tried running the Scott without anything attached to the phono inputs with the selector switch in phono just like you would be playing a record on Mag 2 ? Try it and see if you still get this hum. I'm sure you didn't blow anything up in the Scott. You may have tweaked the RCA connections from the TT to the Scott and lost your ground to the TT through the RCA cables. You probably just need to twist them and the connection will be regained and the hum will disapear. If this doesn't work shoot me a email I'll give you a Call.

Craig

----------------

On 9/19/2004 11:37:20 AM artto wrote:

BTW, stay away from direct drive turntables. They were a big fade at one time. Theyre great for certain professional applications where they need fast start and stop response but virtually all of them have substantial amounts of low frequency rumble. The performance specs manufacturers published for direct drive tables were usually weighted in favor of not showing the TTs worst area of performance. Even an old belt drive AR table performed better than some of the most expensive direct drives.

----------------

Anyone who wants to read more about direct drives can do it in the following link:

Craig, once again you are my hero! Yup there was no hum when the TT ws not hooked up, so I grabbed some RCA connectors from Rat Shack on the way home from work, cut off the old ones and hooked up the new ones and wallah. no hum, great sound. Thanks again.

Guy, nice interesting site!

While I'm at this tt newbie thing answer me this. I have about 20 lps and some sound great but others while detailed come out at a much lower volumne. Is this normal, indicative of wear, compability with cartridge, type of vinyl, whatever?

----------------

On 9/21/2004 5:05:18 PM 3dzapper wrote:

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/Craig1.jpg" border="0">

----------------

Craig,

Is that a NOS 7591A in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?