Lee Morgan - The Rumproller

garymd

One of those albums that I play every once in a while and wonder why I don't play it more often. I listened to it on the way to work this morning. Really a great album. The title track, written by Andrew Hill, is remenisent of that great early sixties sound and reminds me a lot of early Herbie Hancock (Watermelon Man or Cantaloupe Island).

I think it's right up there with Sidewinder. Tomcat is another worth getting if you don't already have it.

Any other Morgan recommendations would be welcomed.

I'm sure Paul Parrot could give you a few if we could only wake him up!

Anyway, I think I have everything ever released with Lee Morgan playing on it. If you really want to hear what "technique" is all about, then I think the solo on "The Way You Look Tonight" on Tina Brooks' "Minor Move" pretty much sums it up--jaw dropping prowess. This one was released only in Japan on LP back in the 1980's (never made it out of the Blue Note vaults and nobody seems to be able to figuue out WHY!) and on the Mosaic set, but it is currently available on CD. And there's always the solo on "Moanin'" on Blue Note 4003 (Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers), which is probably THE quintessential hard-bop trumpet solo--I think ANYONE who plays jazz trumpet pretty much has this solo burned into their soul.

The Lee Morgan records that I keep returning to are

B00006C77E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0000BV210.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0000076HH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00004W5M6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm pretty sure these are all in print on CD.

After the "Forum Wars" last night, I went down and put Tina Brooks, Lee Morgan, Sonny Clark, Doug Watkins and Art Blakey on the system. Yep, "Minor Move" was my selection and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's really one of my favorites and Lee Morgan is well, Lee Morgan.

I happened to stop by Border's at lunch today and they had a buy 3 get 1 free cd sale.

Picked up:

Lee Morgan, "Cornbread" and "Search For The New Land"

Hank Mobley, "Roll Call" and "Soul Station"

I listened to part of Cornbread on the way back. Classic Morgan/Hancock. Great stuff. They'll keep me awake for the long commute home tonight.2.gif

There's a level of confidence about Mobley's playing on "Soul Station" and "Roll Call" that really makes these two records stand out in a SEA of great Hank Mobley records. I've always thought that this might be due to Mobley having been asked by Miles Davis to replace JOHN COLTRANE in his sextet. This MUST have given Mobely quite a boost. I'm probably wrong, but it makes for a nice story.

Mobley never really fit in with Davis and was replaced by Sonny Stitt for a while and for and even shorter while by Sam Rivers until Davis formed the now classic Hancock/Shorter/Carter/Williams quintet. But if you listen to Mobley on the Miles Davis "Blackhawk" recordings he really, really holds his own and solos beautifully. Sure, he's no John Coltrane, but Coltrane wasn't Hank Mobley either.

Md-220.jpg

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionId=1042

----------------

On 9/22/2004 10:10:06 AM Allan Songer wrote:

An "album" is an "album" no matter the format. CD, LP, tape, 8-track, whatever.----------------

I agree Alan. I still refer to all recording as albums. Well, OK, except MP3's. It's what I got used to calling records in the 60's. Old habits are hard to break. The only ones that question my nomenclature seem to be Generation Xers.