Lee Morgan - The Rumproller

garymd

I have a couple Clifford Brown lps and he's outstanding. Don't forget Freddie Hubbard! I still like Lee. He was a great songwriter also. From what I've read, he learned a lot from Clifford Brown. I'm sure Allan could add some insight and history.

PLEASE IGNORE THE TROLL BELOW.

I tend to like the roots of just about all forms of music wether it's bluegrass, country, blues, rock, techno etc.

I really haven't listened to alot of Jazz just some Juan Esquivel and St.Germain then the sporadic tune at a friends house. If you were going to suggest a couple must have jazz albums what would they be and what are the earliest Jazz recordings? I must admit my knowledge of Jazz is limited but I have yet to find it boring.

----------------

On 9/23/2004 6:47:33 AM Flason wrote:

Another great jazz trumpeter to consider is Clifford Brown. While not a heroine or alcohol addict, he still put out some fine music. Unfortunately, I don't have any of his "records"
2.gif
on vinyl, only CD.
----------------

Clifford Brown is my hands down favorite on the trumpet. I also like these guys on the LP below.

Donald Byrd - Sonny's Crib (Sonny Clark) + numerous other as headliner and sideman.

Kenny Dorham - UNA MAS, Afro-Cuban and Page One (Joe Henderson)

Art Farmer - Cool Struttin' (Sonny Clark) and Hank Mobley Quintet

Bill Hardman - Hank Mobley (Hank Mobley and Jackie's Pal . Less than famous, but an extremely good trumpet player.

Blue Mitchell - Blowin' In The Blues Away (Horace Silver) amd The Thing To Do

Tommy Turrentine - Leapin' and Lopin' (Sonny Clark) and A Fickle Sonance (Jackie McLean). Another less than famous and very underrated trumpeter.

These are worth a listen for those who haven't heard them.

Edit: Almost forgot 2 Feet In The Gutter (The Dave Bailey Quintet) Bill Hardman plays trumpet. Very nice LP.

"Cornbread" is my latest favorite Lee Morgan song.9.gif Strange thing about the album (cd). It's the only bluenote I've seen that doesn't give a date of the recording. It only mentions the BN# in the text on the back cover. Doesn't have a BN# on the front either. What's up with that, Allan?