Disappointed with my KHorns!

fgarib

Man, oh man! Thanks for the advice, guys! Changed the speakers to a new room. Stunning difference. All your comments regarding perhaps the K-horns not being for this fella... Well, the flat bass and sharp highs coming from the previous placement were not for anyone. What a sound stage I have in my new room now with the Horns placed about 14ft apart and the sitting area about 23 ft from the speakers. Also sealed the speakers using a rubber lining. Boom! It's a new speaker.

Right now I'm running the Quad 606 with my Marantz HT amp acting as a pre amp.

The bass is still slightly lacking, but this can be worked on with messing around / adding / subtracting the electronics. Investigating new universal players etc. Also, located a Luxman tube pre, which I'm going to hook up in a day or so. Crossovers, maybe later.

Can these speakers be the mains of an HT system with a small center, like my KEF Reference Model 90?! So far, I have to turn the Horns' level down to -9 and the Center to +10!

Thanks for all your guidance... but I still need more!!

----------------

On 9/27/2004 12:01:38 AM fgarib wrote:

Man, oh man! Thanks for the advice, guys! Changed the speakers to a new room. Stunning difference.... Can these speakers be the mains of an HT system with a small center, like my KEF Reference Model 90?! So far, I have to turn the Horns' level down to -9 and the Center to +10!

----------------

Good work, fgarib! I use my Klipschorns as my home theatre system, but in 2 channel only. Using the Kef's as a centre for the Khorn's wouldn't be ideal due to tonal and sensitivity disparities, but yeah, it would work okay for a while until you can get a Heresy or something for a centre.

Now you can start appreciating what the fabulous Klipchorns can do. The more you use them, the more you will be in awe of the sheer dynamics and musicality of these loud speakers. Enjoy...

----------------

On 9/27/2004 12:01:38 AM fgarib wrote:

Man, oh man! Thanks for the advice, guys! Changed the speakers to a new room. Stunning difference.... Can these speakers be the mains of an HT system with a small center, like my KEF Reference Model 90?! So far, I have to turn the Horns' level down to -9 and the Center to +10!

----------------

i think you should lower a little bit more the Khorns in order to have the kef center set to +0db. with the center set to +10db your amp may not be able to feed correctly the center(you may have these probleme:clipping, distortion)

----------------

On 9/26/2004 9:01:07 PM InventiveAudio.com wrote:

If you're still married after all these upgrades you'll have a killer system. I suggest the Sherbourn line of amps of McCormak.

----------------

OK, so I've been to your site, you're not a rep for Sherbourn (Phew!)

Nice to hear someone else on the forum commenting positively about these amps.

Hey there! LOVING my Klipschorns! One question though. A nice Luxman pre is available to pair with my Quad 606 powering the Khorns. I was wondering if it's at all possible to connect it in such a way so that for music sources I could use the the Luxman and Quad combo, and for HT, use the Quad and my existing Marantz 7300. In other words, use the Marantz just for decoding HT signals. I know the Marantz has a pre-out.

Really want to audition the pre, but am scared that I may like it and want to keep it, however impractical it may be.

Help!!

Thanks,

My God.........one million answers for one problem...now it's one million and one. I have owned Klipschorns since 1969. I have swapped out from metal klipschorn midrange drivers to wooden klipschorn midrange drivers to composite Klipschorn midrange drivers. Each switch made the Khorns sound different. In 1969 I found that I had so much bass I was praying for less..The McIntosh tube and Marantz Solid State...........drove bass beyond good taste. Years later I tried a Hafler 200 and an Aragon and there was much,much less bass. Once I switched from records to CD's, things began to sound more 'brittle', but they were clean and without pops and cracks and all that junk now put in most records. I have used every driver that Klipsch made from 1954 to the present..Things change with each driver...more or less. I have tried almost all of their crossovers also..same story.I have tried cheap CD players and tried $2000 CD players...........and things sounded different again. I have tried the Klipschorns in about 5 different houses that I have owned. I have tried them on the narrow walls and the wide walls. I have tried them with center channels and without center channels. I personally hate wide walls.........but them I am after 'sound staging' truth as I see it. I have tried cheap wire and expensive wire and thing sounded different again................Good wire is where I would suggest you start and I don't mean super expensive wire.............just good thick OFC wire.

Remember that sound(even loud sound) oozes out of the Klipschorns......it is not pushed out in your face as with most over speakers...

But before you spent one dime on these 1,000,001 suggestions.........listen for a few months without swapping anything around...........After all Klipschorns are only speakers..................They will never be the real thing................I suppose COKE is the real thing.

----------------

On 9/28/2004 3:55:07 PM TBrennan wrote:

Writing like this........is difficult to read.....and sounds like the thoughts of a disorganized........or disturbed mind.........there's a reason we're taught......to use punctuation.......and paragraphs

In Catholic school anyway.

----------------

They will never be the real thing................I suppose COKE is the real thing.

----------------

Well, judging by your post I am inclined to trust the above conclusion.

: )

This just proves what happens after 35 years of non-stop Klipschorn listening....First you lose you mind and them you lose your punctuation..or is it the other way around...Does a Jesuit University count as Catholic Education?