Which is better? Fisher 500B or C

JjR

----------------

On 9/24/2004 3:37:45 PM JjR wrote:

Which is the better between the two receivers and why? Also do both have the amp and pre amp sections that the X-202-B?

----------------

Greetings:

From a search on Google, it seems as if the 500 C would get the nod. As for the second question, I would leave that for you to search.

The 500 C fetches a higher price.

dodger

----------------

On 9/24/2004 11:07:31 PM mdeneen wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the "B" is FM only, and the "C" is FM and AM.

I think otherwise the same. I had a nice 500C and it was a delight in all respects.

mdeneen

----------------

Mark,

You describe the difference between the 500c and the 800c. Not sure about the B vs. C deal. I think you can't get into the UC with the C now, I think I heard.

Whichever Fisher you decide on, Fisherdoc is worth checking out. Though he doesn't have a lot of specific information about various Fisher models on his page, Al Pugliese knows Fisher. Bought one of his Resto-Paks for my 400 and they are exactly as he represents them, top quality!

He includes a photocopied service manual with each Resto-Pak. The Resto-Pak instructions are very thorough and well thought out, and the restoration tips are absolutely worth having.

http://fisherdoctor.com/index.html

Only wish I could finish up the resto on the 400 I blew up. Know it will sound sweet with my Chorus! Maybe after I come off of working 84 hour weeks....5.gif

----------------

On 9/25/2004 7:59:45 AM mdeneen wrote:

ahhhh, see what happens when you get to be an old fart. I'm still waiting for the pill that gives my BRAIN a 4-hour erection.

Must be a Fisher site out there somewhere with this kind of info.

mdeneen

----------------

HMMMM, maybe there is something in that post for a new product. Couple hundred dollars a dose, even if it's a placebo effect.

Good thought Mark!

dodger

----------------

On 9/25/2004 8:25:08 AM krustyoldsarge wrote:

Whichever Fisher you decide on, Fisherdoc is worth checking out. Though he doesn't have a lot of specific information about various Fisher models on his page, Al Pugliese
knows
Fisher. Bought one of his Resto-Paks for my 400 and they are exactly as he represents them, top quality!

He includes a photocopied service manual with each Resto-Pak. The Resto-Pak instructions are very thorough and well thought out, and the restoration tips are absolutely worth having.

Only wish I could finish up the resto on the 400 I blew up. Know it will sound sweet with my Chorus! Maybe after I come off of working 84 hour weeks....
5.gif

----------------

I know of the Fisher Doc and have delt with him before. The problem is that I might get the kit tomorrow or a year from now. I would never think of sending a unit to him as that could be a year ordeal ;-)

He and his wife are GREAT people but have other priorities in there lives and I do wish them the best.

I have used a local shop here in Chicago for years that knows what there doing with old tube stuff and I have never had a problem with there work.

Its a shame that there is not a WEB PAge on the old Fisher Equiptment showing old literature and information like the HH SCott site.

I know AL has one but they are just photos of the units.

Well one of the most obvious differences is that the 500B does not have a headphone jack and the 500C does. Here is a link to some pictures of the 500C on the Fisher Doc's web site:

http://www.fisherdoctor.com/Restoration.html

and the tube layout of the 500B from my web site:

http://home.comcast.net/~stangbanger/HomeTheater/fisher_500b_specs.htm

There are some other obvious differences from looking at the photos of the 500C. The metal cover over the tuner section is larger, there are more options and a metal cover over the "MPX Filter" section. There is one less capacitor by the main transformer. The tube layout is different and there appear to be tube differences. Also all the 500B's had a Golden Cascode front end and I think most of the 500C's had a Nuvistor front end (don't quote me on this). Looking at the back of the 500C it looks like it does not have the wired "remote control" port or the center channel output either. Also the speaker terminals are different but the picture is not clear enough for me to see what the differences are.

I can try to take a picture of the "inside" of my 500B if you are interested.

Laters,

Jeff

Gotta put in my 2 cents' on this one:

I've heard the Fisher 500B, did not care for the sound, and they are nowhere near as collectible/desirable/valued as highly as the 500C.

BUT, you mentioned the Fisher 400, which, in my opinion, is a much better sounding unit, although not as popular as either of the 500s.

My Fisher 400 is one of the last tube units I have I'd give up

Whatever you end up with, ENJOY!