SACD title suggestions needed

Daddy Dee

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the slower side, James Taylor's Hourglass is awesome.

I'm not real big on all the Audio Fidelity titles but Cal Tjader, Sonny Clark Trio, Donovan, and Zombies discs are great. The Sonny disc is out of print though so grab it while you can.

All of the Mobile Fidelity titles that I have are home runs. Take your pick there. I heard a little bit of the Holst disc the other day and it's now on my want list.

They say the Yo-Yo Ma Solo is great. I only have the CD though.

There's also a bunch of Living Stereo releases that just came out. Again, don't have any but they are on my want list.

Also on my want list are the Oscar Peterson discs. I only have volume one and it's great so I have my eyes pealed for the rest.

I didn't do to bad from memory. Now that I'm home I will add three more to the must have list.

I never tire of Beethoven's 9th on Deutsch Grammophon. Play it over and over.

Telarc's 1812 Overture. Done with real cannons that shake the house.

The Stones Let It Bleed. Abkco did 20-some(?) Stones titles on SACD. Of the seven that I have, LIB is the best and I would consider it a definate must have for any collection. After that the UK Aftermath over the US because of the song selection.

----------------

On 9/24/2004 8:18:27 PM Strabo wrote:

There's also a bunch of Living Stereo releases that just came out. Again, don't have any but they are on my want list.

----------------

I bought 9 of the 10 (passed on the opera arias). They are uniformly excellent; you won't be disappointed.

Daddy, what kind of music are you looking for? Classical remains the major genre for SACD. There's enough classical already available to satisfy most fans for a lifetime. The other categories have a lot less pickins.

Paul,

I have the CD version of Ravel's Daphnis conducted by Charles Munch which strikes me as rather dull. Is the SACD really an improvement? And what about the Saint Saens 'Organ Symphony'? I have read a lot of positive comments, but again I am not a great fan of the CD.

Wolfram

Wolfram,

I wouldn't buy either one of them if you don't like the CD counterpart. I've never found any improvement in quality to be enough to overcome dislike of the performance. The complete "Daphnis et Chloe" is pretty hard to grasp; it's kind of a vague piece. But I haven't given up. I think the Suite version of it on the Skrowaczewski disc is probably sufficient most of the time, though. This latter disc has my favorite performance of "Bolero" on it.

I love the Munch performance of Saint-Saens Sym 3, though, so it's just a matter of difference in personal taste.

ravel.jpg

Daddy,

Here's a few I like, with emphasis on female vocals. All very different from each other, YMMV, etc.

Alison Krauss "Forget About It" - pop country

Laura Nyro "Angel in the Dark" - mostly piano and vocal

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong "Ella and Louis"

Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" - not normally my kind of thing, but every once in a while

Richard & Linda Thompson "Shoot Out the Lights" - fab guitar leads

others.jpg

Paul,

thanks for the response. I was indeed only thinking of the quality of the recording. I like the complete Daphnis in the old Monteux Decca recording (highly recommended). The Munch Saint-Saens is quite fine as a performance, but too dull when it comes to instrumental timbres (as far as I can recall), so improvement (let's call it less boxiness) due to the new format would be welcomed.

Wolfram

Wolfram,

It's been too long since I heard the CD version of Sym 3 to make a comparison. I don't think any SACD version is going to radically alter a recording--I look at them as audiophile type improvements, better on the subtleties of music. But the overall thrust will be the same.

Paul,

I did some more internet reading on the Munch 'Daphnis' and it was said that this has been recorded/transferred out of phase. Okay, using the MX110 at the moment makes that an easy one as it has a phase switch. Indeed, if run with phase at 180 degrees the recording becomes more palatable (though I still doubt brass/string balance 2.gif ), so it might be worth checking other Living Stereos as well.

Strabo,

thanks for the link, makes for an interesting read.

Wolfram