For Sale: Auricap Type AAs

Deang

I know it ruffles some feathers when I do this, so I haven't done it in a long time -- but it's an unusual situation. I had a buyer order these, and since things were piling up I decided to build them up with my own money while I waited on payment. The buyer backed out, so here they are. I'll wait a couple of days then post them on Audiogon. Price is $330.00

----------------

On 10/2/2004 10:05:23 PM DeanG wrote:

Well, this is what they asked for, so it was how I built them.

Did you ever decide what you liked the best?----------------

No I haven't really ! I just can't get past the awesome look of the Jenson outfitted Type A's . I'm tending to start to think now that the Auricap type A's are back on my speakers that the top end was smoother with less hash with the Jenson's. I may have to get some of those beer can caps from you ! One thing is a absolute IMHO either are a upgrade in smoothness and detail from the original motor runs.

Craig

Hello.

Dont come this way too much anymore but when I drop in, I've seen more than a few threads like this. Over the months it's been amusing. I get the hankering and look in from time to time. Members are making inquiries about $5000 amps. Three years ago, this would have been absolute heresy.

"Parts is parts" guys are investing in "incognicoto" upgrade wire and "audiophile magic" caps - the same are selling amps for $$$$$ when a few years ago, they were bashing "Fools" that parted with their money for high dollar nonsense. SET AMPS were distortion machines.... They come ..they go.... words are meaningless.

Jensen oils, which were ALL HYPE, rolled off, poor measuring, and leaky junk, or now sought after in many applications. Suddenly, these inferior parts are "smooth" and "clear" Let's see how long it takes for the WKZ realization to take hold...

Anything more than 716P Orange Drops is "Audio Mysticism" parting of money for suckers. If it measures worse, it IS worse. MAgic is the "taboo" word, meanwhile, the same need to take a look in the usage of this same word. IE, it was never meant as "wow, this is magic how this works." Still, in these days, usage and meaning are secondary.

Bitter? I guess it sounds that way. Not so much bitter as just a bit in the mood for a big sigh. Who cares about an "I told you so" after all this time? I took such pure crap from so many on most of these fronts, only to watch as the tide switched.... although it took a loooooong time. Experience is slow to build.

Watts is watts. Caps are caps. Wire is wire. Monoblocks are a waste, integrated gear is the future. Integrateds are inferior, monoblocks are the future. Separates.... Vintage integrateds are bad. Good. The Best. Ok for beginners.... etc etc etc etc. PWK recommend 20w minimum (no, the manufacture does and we all know how much weight these recs hold).

Whatever.

It's all the same these days.

But Good to see the ole place alive and kicking as par for the course. Say hello to the gang. Dean, nice looking crossovers, btw.

kh

Hi Kelly,

You say it's "all the same these days" , but that's really not what's at the heart and meaning of your post.

On one level things are so straight-forward and simple, on another level -- so infinitely complex. It can be frustrating. All agree on some things, and disagree on others -- that's just the way it is.

I think we all agree that vintage tube integrated units are a great way to break into this thing, but not the end all -- and Craig has openly admitted this many times.

-- that parts do make a difference, but the kind of part, or brand of part that works best is circuit dependant, or up to the individual as far as what is preferred. What is often disagreed upon is the degree of difference, and whether the perceived difference or improvement warrants some of the costs involved.

-- that SET amps can sound very good, but are not for everyone, and that taken beyond their operating parameters -- sound like complete ca-ca.

As far as the PIOs go, I think they behave differently in amplifiers than they do in crossovers, or AC applications. Clearly, they work very good for the latter. Since I do not know anything worth mentioning as far as amplifiers and preamps go -- I just can't render any kind of relevent or valid opinion here.

You might enjoy watching me stumbling over myself in the thread over in Technical. That one's going to get rich.1.gif

Nice to see your post Kelly.

----------------

On 10/3/2004 1:19:48 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Dont come this way too much anymore...

----------------

It's a shame that you don't. You have been generous helping with both equipment and music. I know that there are several member that disagree with you and are glad that you are no longer around. However, I would bet that there are as many if not more that feel just the opposite. I for one have missed your absence and think you have a lot to offer the forum. Hope to see you around more often.

This forum has not change after Dean's nearly 7000 posts. At least while Paul is still here. Though it only takes one Kelly's post in nearly a blue moon and things start to stir again. Maybe it's why Mt. St Helens erupted.

ta