300-400 HT budget please help!

Makaveli

Hey guys,

Long story short, my mom is looking to upgrade her Music setup in her bedroom. The current setup is so crappy right now it is actually broken. My dad gave her a setup that was conected to a decent Yamaha receiver with a compact BOSE (yuck) subwoofer along with some decent JBL satts.

After my mom went into my room and listened to my Altec's she knew it was time to upgrade :) .

She's leaving the upgrade mostly up to me to choose what to buy since I know the most about audio in the whole family. Though I know alot about MM, home audio is a little different.

So my question is, what should I buy with around a 400 dollar budget? I was thinking a fairly decent receiver and then a pair of nice bookselves? It's only for music so a subwoofer would not neccessary for her. I would need some decent bookselves that can extend quite well in the 60-50Hz range though.

Any suggestions? I was thinking 200 on a reciever and the other 200 for a pair of bookselves? I really like Polk bookselves for there neutralness quality. How about These ?

I really want to get some Klipsch speakers but the reference line is way to expensive right now for my mom's budget and the Synergy isn't very good and musical ethier.

What about the receiver? Will a ~200 dollar one be any good?

Sorry for the long post but please help! Remember, quality over quanity :)

My uncle recently bought the Quinted thing. He likes them a lot, and I think they sound good too. I wasnt really expecting much out them, but they can play. Anyways, I'd recommend that, one of those Dayton subs, and maybe a Harman Kardon receiver. You can find the AVR 125 pretty cheap, like under $200 cheap. I hope this helps.

--David

Hey, do you mean Quintets? I personally would try to stay away from satts as much as possible because they just can't produce music like a bookshelf can. (Maybe the RSX-4 but that's all I know). My mom mostly listening to vietnamese music so a subwoofer will not be needed. I think that money would be better spent on quality shelves. Plus She will not be watching movies at all what so ever so I dont really need more than two speakers.

if the yamaha receiver still works I'd just keep that and spend $400 on speakers alone. If the receiver is broken as well, spend as little as possible on it, and if an option try to find an old used receiver (good ones can be found at thrift stores for under $50) and then spend the rest on speakers. in this price range, an equal amount of money should not be spent on the two.

Yeah I'm hoping its not the receiver but it's that crappy midrange/high producing BOSE bass module thats really mest up.

How about these Athenas?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806301597&skuId=5335853&productCategoryId=cat03043&type=product

PS - Can anyone find the price on these? Bestbuy can't display the price

EDIT - err nm they are 400 per pair ><

correction on the price- its $188 for the pair. not 400ish. and i think that the synergy stuff is better. my recommendation for speakers in the 400 range is the rb25s hands down(i own some). for 300ish, synergy sb2 or sb3. for 150ish or so the sb1. but thats only if you want to stay with klipsch.

----------------

On 10/7/2004 9:22:22 PM prodj101 wrote:

if the yamaha receiver still works I'd just keep that and spend $400 on speakers alone.

----------------

I agreee. One way to check is try hooking up your Altecs to the Yamaha and see if it works with those. If the Yamaha does work, then as was mentioned, a pair of RB-25s would be awesome for the type of music your mother listens to.

OK invest the $400 in a high risk no load mutual for a year or so cash it when it doubles and buy her a set of Heresies and a receiver...NO Ok well the I agree buy a set of used HI's or HII's and use the current receiver if it is in working order.16.gif

I'll try a different approach on this. Let's talk KG series. Great speakers. If the amps ok, use it. If you need bookshelves get her a pair of KG 1.5's off ebay. These are sweet. A friend of mine whose a musician loves mine even more than my mains. If you can do floorstanding try KG 3.5's. They are not that large but boy do produce clarity, dynamics and a decent soundstage with great bass. You can usually pick them up for a bout $200. Try Criagslist.org. and do a search for Klipsch under sales and you will probably find them in your area, so you won't have to deal with shipping. Dollar for dollar the Kg series is the best value in the Klipsch line. Period. (allright, reluctantly, IMO on the last sentence)

A pair of RB-25s can be had for under $300 with some good bargaining skills. They are probably not as good as Heresies, but I've never heard the two side by side. If you're determined to buy new speakers, they are the best value in the current lineup. They'll be good up to about 50-55Hz, so forget the deep bass, but then again, from what I hear Heresies aren't that good at deep bass either.

P.S. I've never heard the KG series... for these prices I might pick up a pair to try them out.

Heresys and bass dont really go hand in hand, but if you have the right receiver, or a decent one, you can really let them loose. I had one receiver that made the Heresys solid to 40 hz, still not deep, but then again most Vietnamese music doesnt have that low of bass.

If cosmetics are not an issue, forum member Chaletclub has a pair of KG2's he'll let go for $50. Chaletclub@yahoo.com is his e-mail. These are good sounding speakers. Other than that I can recommend kg3.2. they have plenty of bass and are usually under $200 used.