For Marie!

Erik Mandaville

Hi, you all:

Marie asked me to ask for your opinions on something. She is going to be having scheduled surgery next Tuesday, and wants to be able to have some music to listen to during the initial recovery in the Hospital. We want to try to get an Apple 'Ipod Mini' or a Rio 'Carbon.' I have absolutely no idea about these things! I do know that the Rio has much longer battery life, but what the performance differences might be between the two is a complete mystery.

I'm going to be taking a week off from school to help at home, but she loves to have music, and so we thought this might be a good investment for the hospital stay (but of course for something to have later, as well). I think the Apple has a better warranty, too, but what about things like overall construction, provision for connecting to belt or pants during exercise, and sound quality?

We would really appreciate any thoughts or ideas! They're kind of expensive little things, so we thought some of you guys might have some helpful suggestions.

Thanks very much in advance!

Erik

Erik,

I have been studing the I Pods for my Kids. They are good, and you can purchase a seperate power cord to run off of AC in the Hospital. There are reported issues with the batteries in these units, so - purchase the extended warranty. You can purchase a open box unit from Circuit city for about 250.00 (15GB unit). This is just the info I have been able to glean from searches and talking with sales people.... Hope this helps.

Rick:

Well, we've got the entire weekend. If it were just me, that's about how long it would take to learn how to download a single song. She's pretty quick with stuff like this. We no longer have a working personal CD player. I have the very first Sony Walkman that ever came out (someplace), but that's about it in terms of personal music players. You make a great point, though!

I need to send you a PM on the PAS preamp. I think we can get that thing up and running very soon.

Erik

Hi Erik: You and I had a long discussion about biamping Khorns some time ago. I know nothing about Ipods, but it sounds like a great idea. Really just wanted to wish the best to Marie and offer thoughts and prayer. She must be a real winner to have hooked up with such a gentleman. The Beatles "One" would be on my list if stuck in the hospital----you know, all you need is love. John

Eric, I wish you guys the best of luck. I like the Apple I-Pod. I recently spent time in hopsital and really enjoyed listening to some Baroque from the likes of Pachelbel, Albinoni, Handel and Bach. There are stacks of compilation discs out in the market to choose from. Also a little bit of Ella Fitzgerald from 'The Best of the Song Books' is highly recommended.

"I recently spent time in hopsital and really enjoyed listening to some Baroque from the likes of Pachelbel, Albinoni, Handel and Bach"

I never heard of that rock group. Must be an Aussie thing.

2.gif Seriously though, no wonder you were in the hospital, that baroque stuff does the same thing to me.15.gif If you can't afford to eat, tell them you are on a hunger strike and they'll force feed you.6.gif

Rick

Erik,

Sorry your wife is going in to hospital - I do hope all works out fine and that she is up and around in no time.

MP3 players are great - but you will be a bit pushed to get one - connect it to your PC and download / rip sufficient music to the unit to make it worth your while.

Under the circumstances how about a radio with headphones? Kinda old hat - but some sound very good. Tivoli iPal for example (dont you have a Tivoli anyway - if you have a power socket near the bed wouldnt that solve the problem for you?) If not the iPal has a battery and quite a long battery life to boot.

Its also an ideal partner to the iPod if you decide to go that route later.

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=161&cat=&page=2

Thanks all. You all have good points, and I'm leaning toward maybe just a simple personal CD player (the kind my students always pretend they're not listening to while I'm trying to teach!)for right now. the ipod can maybe wait for a bit and be a neat thing to have when there is more time to work with it, download music, etc.

Dean: I like Cambridge Soundworks stuff. I've watched the company develop for years, and have always thought they made what look to be like very good systems. Something like that would make for a perfect office system! I'll keep that in mind!

Max: We do have a couple of Model 1s, and that is a thought, as well. She is going to probably be pretty tired anyway. But Bach, Albinoni, Handel, Purcell, at Baroque Inc. are our favorites! Great idea, as are the other music options. Knowing Marie, she'll also ask if I brought any Tool, Audio Slave, and Sound Garden!

Thanks for the get well wishes most of all, I know she will appreciate that.

----------------

On 10/14/2004 10:21:43 PM DeanG wrote:

I would buy one of these for $400 and have something that actually sounds like music.

""
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/images/gold/full/c1md12ee.jpg" width=380 border=0 name=productImage>

----------------

I used to have one of those. A definite winner in BFTB.3.gif

I think that if you have CDs you are willing to "lend" during her stay in the hospital it would be much easier to use a portable CD player (I like the units from Panasonic and Sony for the sound) than to RIP to MP3 on your computer and pass it to a player....however if you think you might like to have an MP3 player for use faterwards this might just be the excuse you need to get into it...I like the Ipod, it has good sound and big storage depending on your budget (the number one guide) you may want to go for a smaller/lower cost unit, I like the creative labs Muvo units...they can be bought with 512mb, 1 or 2gb storage, can be found for less than $200 new and work and play very well. How much do you want to spend and if you plan to put the unit to good use later are the two determining factors.

Please give your wife my best wishes for a quick recovery! best regards, tony