POLL: Should Klipsch Subwoofer forum be dedicated to Klipsch subs?

jj1234567

A question for the Klipsch enthusiasts at this board:

Q: Should the Klipsch Subwoofer forum be dedicated to Klipsch subs?

The answer seems obvious to me: YES

The current disastrous situation: NO

As you can see if you take a quick peek in there, the "Powered Subwoofers" forum is anything BUT related to Klipsch subwoofer products on the whole. This seems ridulous to me.

What would people think if 33% of the posts at this 2-channel audio forum were about Athena Technology speakers? I know I'd be pissed as hell.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 10/15/2004 2:13:31 PM jj1234567 wrote:

A question for the Klipsch enthusiasts at this board:

The answer seems obvious to me: YES

The current disastrous situation: NO

As you can see if you take a quick peek in there, the "Powered Subwoofers" forum is anything BUT related to Klipsch subwoofer products on the whole. This seems ridulous to me.

What would people think if 33% of the posts at this 2-channel audio forum were about Athena Technology speakers? I know I'd be pissed as hell.

----------------

Greetings:

I have to agree with you. There are other sites that are not a Company related and paid for gift, benefit - call it what you may.

If anyone does not like the way the Forum is, try the eBay Music chat. It is anything but. But one cannot ask for items, advertise items, offer to trade, etc. without someone noting that conduct as that is off limits. 2x and most likely someone will report you and you lose those privileges.

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

It is not asking too much to try to stay focused on the Company products. If there is a large need to go into other brands on a consistent basis, there is always email, PM or the telephone.

I do not understand what the fuss is.

dodger

I think this is the point of the forum, though. If we limited conversation to Klipsch products, it would be fairly meaningless because Klipsch products don't exist in a vacuum.

I myself own a Klipsch subwoofer and like it very much. I also like reading about competitive products, and I would bet that Klipsch marketers do a lot of reading of posts to this forum. It gives them an idea of what the minds of those who attempt to be informed find important.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it's one more source of market information for Klipsch, and it's a great source of information for Klipsch customers. We're a very loyal bunch, but when we occasionally stray away from the Klipsch brand, it's for a good reason. Klipsch would want to know why they're losing business, I would think.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Hospitality is one thing, but when you start to lose sales and lose consumer confidence in your subwoofers because of all the non-Klipsch discussion in the powered subwoofers section, then it should be blatantly obvious that something needs to drastically change. Also, if there was much discussion on all types of subwoofer brands, then that would be one thing, but when 33% of the discussion centers around one particular non-Klipsch brand, that should raise alarm bells immediately to Klipsch upper management.

And it's not as if there is a shortage in general audio websites where people are free to openly discuss various brands.

Of course it should be open to discussion of other brands of products. Klipsch has prohibited employees of other companies from using the forum as a free promotional site (no banner ads in sigs, for example) and I think that oughtta do it.

In the 2 channel forum there are lots of discussions comparing Klipsch to JBL, Edgarhorns and others, and even some discussions of modding La Scalas and such by using Altec or JBL drivers for the midrange / high end. That's what this forum is all about - a bunch of friends with similar interests sharing their experiences and ideas.

Don't forget the free market-related input that Klipsch receives from the forum. Free consumer-level comments and "buzz" which would otherwise have to be PURCHASED from outside...

I think that Klipsch knows what they are getting for their money as far as this forum goes. It more than pays for itself.

DM

----------------

On 10/15/2004 2:13:31 PM jj1234567 wrote:

----------------

NO, it shouldn't, as Chris said it...

----------------

On 10/15/2004 2:25:42 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

If we limited conversation to Klipsch products, it would be fairly meaningless because Klipsch products don't exist in a vacuum.

----------------

BTW... I'm looking foward to the Aragon threads in the 2 Channel Audio forum 9.gif

Rob

----------------

On 10/15/2004 2:31:57 PM CECAA850 wrote:

Should the 2 Channel Audio forum only refer to Aragon electronics? Seems like a slippery slope there. Carl

----------------

Hello:

This is extending Trey's comments and going into speculation.

I have criticized Klipsch. I have not been warned, suspended, banned.

The slippery slope is akin to starting a rumour at the head of the class and seeing what the information turns out to be at the last person.

If there is enough irritation to Klipsch, who is to say that the Forum may be discontinued. Then we lose all the dues we pay to be members. We also lose the per post charge.

No-one likes to have the reins pulled in after freedom. But the point still goes back to it is THE KLIPSCH FORUM.

Workers are not allowed at Companies to use the Internet, use their Cell Phones, talk on phones and now some are banning camera phones. As employees we give to our employer in return for pay. Klipsch gives us the Forum, no charge, no requirement to own Klipsch Products. I don't see SVS providing a Forum, Velodyne, I don't know of any others. But isn't it a little off to keep seeing recommendations or requests for recommendations to buy new other Manufacturers Products?

I've asked for information on other electronics - I've had the possibility of trading.

But it still boils down to Klipsch pays the bills, we use The Forum for free. Put yourself in their place. Or we may lose the Forum or have to pay dues.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right.

dodger

The situation in this subforum is NOWHERE NEAR the disastrous situation that has occurred in the Powered Subwoofers section. Do you see 33% of the posts in this subforum about one particular non-Klpsch brand? People in this forum generally stick to talk related to Klipsch. In the Powered Subwoofers section, nothing could be further from the truth.

Having a disclaimer that bars unauthorized manufacturers from posting here is not an effective control. Anyone can sign up at this forum and post whatever they want to as long as they don't post as a manufacturer. On top of that, it is all too easy for fanatics of a non-Klipsch brand to abuse the system because no one does anything about it. This is the situation in the Powered Subwoofers section. It is so obvious that no one can miss it.

Why would a company want to potentially sacrifice sales, potentially decrease customer confidence, and potentially decrease talk about their products on their own website? Just seems ridiculous to me.

I've also heard that SVS asks users where they first heard of their company from, and one of the options is "Klipsch forum". That is absolutely insane and mind-boggling to think that their sales are jumping up based on discussion at a competitor's website! It is out of hand really. I do not see how anyone in their right mind in management could think of this situation as acceptable.

----------------

On 10/15/2004 3:11:35 PM dodger wrote:

But it still boils down to Klipsch pays the bills, we use The Forum for free. Put yourself in their place. Or we may lose the Forum or have to pay dues.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right.

dodger

----------------

Win, I understand your operational logic here. However, as stated above, this may not be the cost center for Klipsch that you seem to imply. They do receive benefits from this forum, even, and perhaps especially, while we discuss competitive products.

They put the board here for our daily discourse; they also have the benefits and challenges derived from it.

----------------

On 10/15/2004 3:21:08 PM jj1234567 wrote:

I've also heard that SVS asks users where they first heard of their company from, and one of the options is "Klipsch forum". That is absolutely insane and mind-boggling to think that their sales are jumping up based on discussion at a competitor's website! It is out of hand really. I do not see how anyone in their right mind in management could think of this situation as acceptable.

----------------

JJ, consider this angle (and I do understand your passion here) ...

Would you want to do the market research through third parties to find out why SVS is eating your lunch in the subwoofer competition, or would you like to read posts of actual consumers debate the values of your direct competitors' offerings?

Even though they lose a sale, they may know why they're losing it and can set about making their product more competitive. Think about the THX Ultra II ... competitive response?

I'm a salesman and I would LOVE to have a Forum where my customers could debate the merits of my products versus my competition. It would improve the turnaround time on product development ten-fold.

Chris

That's a good one. Klipsch corporate benefits by having 33% of the posts in their Powered Subwoofers section specifically talking about a non-Klipsch/competing subwoofer manufacturer? Hilarious.

Drastic situations call for drastic actions. Perhaps Klipsch needs to focus it's attention on the Powered Subwoofer section, as the other sections on the forum seem to run along just fine without being extremely heavily influenced by talk of a non-Klipsch/competing brand.

Frankly, aside from lagging subwoofer sales, it also tells Klipsch exactly what product(s) they are competing against and what performance standards and price points need to be met by their respective product in order to be competitive.

That normally falls to the marketing research/sales team and costs lots-o-money. Here it is done for FREE...

DM

There are many, many audio forums that are dedicated to providing information on audio products in general. In fact, if one is trying to read up and research on the competition, there are several other better places to do it. And this is a manufacturer's forum, and not intended to be used in the same fashion as an Audioreview.com style general audio forum.

The ultimate irony is that there is less variety of discussion on subwoofer manufacturer's here than on Audioreview.com's general audio forums, by far! You can chalk that up to the fact that 33% of posts at the Powered Subwoofers forum are about a single non-Klipsch brand.

JJ, I think we just see the same thing from opposing views. I respect your view, even though I disagree with it. It would be nice if you afforded me similar tolerance.

You asked for my opinion and I'm offering it. I wasn't trying to be funny, I was just trying to give you a different view of the world. If you want to reject it, fine, but there's no need to pee on it.

When you start a poll, be prepared for both sides!