If I traded Up?

Bill H.

I have seen it posted here about Magnetic Interference of Non Shielded speakers. I saw this yesterday when I rearranged my set up, how much interference effects your TV ! Wow!

Question- if I was to trade up from Forte I's to RF 5's What sound difference would I Gain or Loose doing this......... Looking for a Speaker that will go next to each side of my TV Cabinet-cause I don't have the room to strech out the speakers farther away from the TV......Thanks

Bill, I'm not sure Fortes to RF5's would be a trade up. Maybe(?) the 7's but not the 5's. Either case, Forte's or RF5's, you would need bucking magnets to stop the interference. Keep the Forte's and glue some bucking magnets to the woofer. I'm really not sure where to get the magnets but I'm sure someone will chime in on this.

Dude you will surely be disappointed going from the Forte to the RF-5.

The Fortes were near the end of an era of the last of the the golden Klipsch speaker lines the tied back to the Klipsch classic line.

Just prepare yourself. I've still got my Fortes but have had KLFs, and various RFs since then and have RFs now. The latter can't touch the former.

But since you're bringing yourself into the modern age with shielding 5.1 and all that you might as well bite the bullet.

Just don't expect too too much and you'll probably be able to handle it. Allow a transition period.

regards,

-David

Reference series are shielded- no bucking magnet needed. Synergy series are also shielded. I have my RF-3's about 2 feet or less from my TV screen with no issues.

FWIW, I have my older KG-2.5's about 2.5 feet from the screen, and they are NOT shielded. No problems whatsoever.

----------------

On 10/21/2004 8:10:44 PM tpg wrote:

Reference series are shielded- no bucking magnet needed. Synergy series are also shielded. I have my RF-3's about 2 feet or less from my TV screen with no issues.

--------------------------

I didn't know the RF's were shielded. Still the 5's wouldn't be an upgrade, IMO. The 7's with Dean's mods may do the trick though.

I considered using bucking magnets.

I ultimately decided against it.

Do you really want to glue or attach a magnet to the back of your driver magnet and, as I remember, you put it on there so that it's opposite the force of the driver magnet.

Think putting two north poles together.

Man, RF-5 gets no respect on this forum. I just want to say it's no where close to the rf-3 -- which is what everyone seems to think. They sound near the same in the demo room, but when I got mine home and set up (I had both), they were easily the price difference better than the RF-3, no contest. I can't say much for the forte's b/c I'm a new age klipsch'er (would love to hear some oldschool klipsch(Chapel Hill, NC, anyone?), but I would set a pair of 5's up in your room, and see what you thought. If you didn't like them, return them. I own 7's now, but still consider outsanding klipsch sound to start at the rf-5's. I would not hesitate to own another pair.

Also, to confirm, both the rf-5 and rf-7 are shielded, very well in fact.

----------------

On 10/28/2004 11:54:23 PM tunemanjjw wrote:

Man, RF-5 gets no respect on this forum. I just want to say it's no where close to the rf-3 -- which is what everyone seems to think. They sound near the same in the demo room, but when I got mine home and set up (I had both), they were easily $500 better than the RF-3, no contest. I can't say much for the forte's b/c I'm a new age klipsch'er (would love to hear some oldschool klipsch(Chapel Hill, NC, anyone?), but I would set a pair of 5's up in your room, and see what you thought. If you didn't like them, return them. I own 7's now, but still consider outsanding klipsch sound to start at the rf-5's. I would not hesitate to own another pair.

Also, to confirm, both the rf-5 and rf-7 are shielded, very well in fact.

----------------

Tell me about it! I've got to hear some of those older Klipsch, namely the Cornwalls, the Klipschorn, LaScala, and Belle. I personally have both the RF-5s and the RF-7s at home. To be honost, after hearing some of those systems, mostly during the summertime "Klipsch Pilgramage", it made me appreciate my own system all that more. Yes, the Cornwalls do sound awesome, and I would not mind eventually getting a pair, but I won't trade my RF-7s in for them, though. The only speaker that I would consider move up to would be the Klipschorn, but right now, I don't really have the space to take advantage of them. I do have a room down in the basement that I could probably make them work in, though. Of course, would be interesting to hear the new Reference Premier line that is supposed to be coming out in another year or two. Wonder if they really will be that much better than the current Reference line to even think about trading up. Probably will hang on to my RF-7s for quite a long time, unless some truly awesome deal comes up that I could not pass up (i.e., I find a pair of Klipschorns at a local estate sale for like $300).

Despite some of the razzing that I've seen on here, I think the Reference line is excellent, especially once you get up to the RF-5s and RF-7s. There are going to be a few old-school types that think that the only "real" Klipsch were the Heritage line. I honostly think the current Reference line are just as much Klipsch.

That all being said, my comments to the original question. Yes, the RF-5s are magnetically shielded, as is all the rest of the Reference series. You could get yourself a pair of RF-5s and sell off the Fortes on eBay, but I would highly suggest listening to them first. The Fortes are an excellent speaker in thier own right, and you may find in the end you'd rather hang on to them and get them to work with your system instead of moving to the Reference line.

----------------

On 10/29/2004 12:09:36 AM skonopa wrote:

Despite some of the razzing that I've seen on here, I think the Reference line is excellent, especially once you get up to the RF-5s and RF-7s. There are going to be a few old-school types that think that the only "real" Klipsch were the Heritage line. I honostly think the current Reference line are just as much Klipsch.

----------------

MAJOR bump to that.

Fortes or RF-5's? If you wanted to go Reference, I'd suggest the RF-7's would be a better bet. Different sound, but the RF-7's have some great attributes and are a true high end speaker. You'd have to move up to the LaScala's and Klipschorns to improve on the RF-7's. But then it's really hard to compare true horn speakers with even a 'hybrid' like the RF-7's.