Room treatment experiment, try not to laugh.

timbley

I stayed home from work sick yesterday. My sick mind decided to see if I could effectively provide some room diffusion with a bunch of paper cut into curved shapes and pinned to the walls and ceiling.

Sure, it looks like a party gone wrong. But Guess what? It works! It may not be as effective as good commercial room diffusors, but paper does what it does. I was really excited last night upon hearing the effect, but I waited until tonight to make sure I wasn't just in a euphoric mood.

Tonight I've listened again for a while, and the improvements are definitely real. Stereo imaging is improved, although still not as good as I've heard in better rooms. More importantly, a harshness I was hearing has been smoothed out nicely. The result is a sense of better detail, openness, and more extended highs. For some reason, even the bass seems tighter and with better punch. I don't know why that would be, but it gives me that impression. I can't find any aspect of the sound that's been degraded. This really works!

In the picture you can see some bass traps in the corners behind the speakers, These are actually broadband absorbers made of ridgid fiberglass covered with cloth. I bought them from modularacustics.com. And yes, they work.

Let me contrast this with earlier experiments where I covered the windows with heavy blankets and comforters, and leaned futon matresses against the walls. That experiment was a total flop. The absorption made the room sound uneven, sort of muffled in some frequencies and not others. Absorption is a dangerous tool, and you want to make sure you get a good broadband abosorber. It's amazing how many things don't work. But I don't think you can ever go wrong adding diffusion to a room.

To sum up, I highly recommend looking into diffusion and other room treatments if you haven't already. I'm sure going to. It can be much better looking, and I don't think you can realize it's benifits with any upgrade in electronics.

post-13895-13819258986588_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 10/23/2004 2:02:25 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

well, I think you've really missed the boat here. Obviously, what you need to do is cover the walls and ceiling completely with cowboy hats. Ideal solution, crying out to be implemented by a daring designer.

just as obviously, I'll never be fini.
:)

----------------

I think cowboy hats might be too absorptive. Plus, I don't have that kind of money. I only have 3 panama hats. After that, I must to resort to paper.

My girlfriend just left for South America, so I'll be able to leave this up for a few weeks.1.gif I'm telling you folks: cowboy hats, paper, whatever it takes, you need diffusion, especially in a small room!

Did you see the movie "A Simple Mind", please seek help.

Tom

Tom

That was the "Beautiful Mind" --great movie and was a ture story.

A buddy of mine used cardboard tubes that was cut into half lenghtwise, stuff them with old shirts or even paper-- and sticks them on the walls. Works perfectly fine.1.gif

----------------

On 10/23/2004 9:23:07 AM DeanG wrote:

Seek therapy.
9.gif

----------------

Ha! Maybe I just need to get some of your crossovers. They're much more stylish being inside the cabinet and all, and from what people have written, they seems to produce similar sonic results.

----------------

On 10/23/2004 11:18:06 AM bclarke421 wrote:

I hope you don't allow smoking in that room. Looks like a fire hazard. And think of the poor trees!

----------------

Yes, I agree, it's a fire hazard. For that reason, I'm going to pull it all down soon.There is absolutely no smoking, candles or inscence burning allowed in this room!

As for trees, the paper was already used. My girlfriend wrote a book, and created a great deal of scrap paper in the process. It's funny how computers generate so much paper!

----------------

On 10/23/2004 9:36:05 AM seti wrote:

Cuckoo for Coco Puffs

I think you should leave it up until the GF gets back and then post her reaction
16.gif

----------------

She saw it just before she left. She got a big smile on her face and asked me if I was decorating for Halloween! She's actually pretty tolerant of such things, at least for a while. Lynette's a creative type. When I told her what it was for, I could see she had ideas stirring in her mind. I have a feeling she's going to see this as an opportunity to do some serious decorating.1.gif

I'd love to get a bunch of large potted plants. They look great, and I've been to many an audio "salon" that uses them for diffusion. I just hope my thumb is green enough to keep them healthy.

She saw it just before she left. She got a big smile on her face and asked me if I was decorating for Halloween! She's actually pretty tolerant of such things, at least for a while. Lynette's a creative type. When I told her what it was for, I could see she had ideas stirring in her mind. I have a feeling she's going to see this as an opportunity to do some serious decorating.
1.gif

I'd love to get a bunch of large potted plants. They look great, and I've been to many an audio "salon" that uses them for diffusion. I just hope my thumb is green enough to keep them healthy.

----------------

1.Does she have a sister? 3.gif

2.Plants as diffusers what a great idea hadn't even thought of that bloody brilliant. 10.gif