RRRGH!!! RSW-15 just up and quits 2nd Sub to go out

bchild311

I would have used the sub as a soap box to deter customers from making purchases from their store. I am certain people would love to hear of your experiences before entering. That would have caught their attention I would think.

I would have not left the store that day with anything but a NEW subwoofer if I say that they had damaged it.

It's about time a moderator got around to responding to this thread, after all what is the point of purchasing from Klipsch's authorized dealer network if you are not going to get the support that you are rightly entitled to. Geeesh!

Threatening a call to the Better Business Bureau (or the equivalent in your state) always works wonders too...and if nothing happens, then actually calling them is even better. The BBB has a lot of power in these kind of cases and they keep a public record of all complaints which can lose them investors and also destroy thier credit rating (one official complaint can allow any vendor to cancel any special terms). A struggling company isn't going to want to put up with the hassle it'd give them.

Thanks to Steve Bailey. I just got off the phone with him at Klipsch and he was most helpful. He is getting me in touch with the Klipsch rep for Ultimate and hopefully we can rattle some skulls over there at the service depot.

I also called the manager of the Ultimate store here just before calling Steve at Klipsch. He told me there would be nothing he could do to resolve the problem. It's hard for me to believe that after being a customer for 10 years and dedicated klipsch audiophile that he would say something like that. Hopefully the Klipsch rep will be able to help.

Plan C will be to contact the BBB, setup a display in front of their store, and then hang up a printed copy of the email I sent to Matt Brown, the manager there so that his future customers can see how they may be treated.

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. I really appreciate it. And thanks to Steve and the good guys at Klipsch!

Have faith in Klipsch, they just got involved. I've a feeling things will go your way very soon. Big Daddy Klipsch shouldn't let good customers like you get treated the way 'Ultimate' did you. It's a travesty.

Their manager should be drawn and quartered and cut up into tiny bits and burnt at the stake, then stomped on some more just for good measure!

Michael

Certainly hope this get this resolved to your satisfaction and we all find out exactly what went wrong with your Klipsch sub.

I've put it off long enough, I'm itching to replace my little Yamaha sub and the RSW-15 is the one I'm aiming for...unless I think I'm going to have problems.

My question: What was the problem? What was done to fix it? Why did it fail?

Since you had two of them fail what is your voltage reading? Does your home have aluminum wiring? Are all of the plugs grounded? Was there a power failure or multiple power failures? Was there a lightning storm prior to the failure? Are you feeding the sub through a power strip with transient protection? Here is a fact: You can be away from home, a thunderstorm comes in with lightning and if lightning hits even 500 ft away I garuantee it will blow that amp. You will hear a "click" when the lightning strikes and it will blow that amp. It happened to me with a Denon amp. Insurance covered it. Since most of the subs use two pronged plugs you have to protect them with MOV's. However, if the lightning is severe enough nothing will protect it. When lightning strikes nearby it puts a huge transient on all or some of your electric feeds in your home. Anything that is plugged in is taking a trip to never-never land. Another problem is power failures. Sometimes the power failure will hit you with "bam---bam---bam" severe transients and frequency changes that fry motors. I know I had to replace them at work. If your sub mysteriously goes out again it's time to "checky-checky". I'd also be checking if your placement is near a metal sewer pipe or something that can interfere with the sub. Do you have a ham radio that might be slopping interference into the sub? Does your neighbor? Vacuum cleaner? Motor? Sump pump? Are you near a radar facility? military facility with zillion watt LF transmissions to atomic subs? Is your sub on a carpet or hardwood floor? My sub vibrates like hell on the carpet (RSW-12)Is it in a hot environment? Maybe your toasting it. Is there a floor heater blowing on it? Since its rated at 2200 watts I would be looking into these things. I run my RSW-12 with the volume all the way up for about an hour at a time and it's hanging tough. Throw a good osciliscope on your plug feed and see what is riding on the waveform. You might have to install a huge filter at your home feeds to filter out all kinds of stuff except 60 hz. What other kind of equipment do you use in your home? ON & ON & ON.

JJK

OK,

finally a resolution and someone took some initiative. After about 200 phone calls and some real frustration I think Ultimate is going to suck it up and do the right thing here. I've just received a phone call from the store manager at Ultimate and he is being very cooperative after a phone call from Joe Lee at Klipsch. They have ordered me a new sub and it should be here in about 2-3 weeks. At that time I will bring my old one in for the new one. That wasn't their first suggestion however, they wanted to exchange my old one for their current floor model. Ummm, I don't trust floor models. Who knows whats been done to that.

Anyway, the sub is a fantastic piece of hardware. I hope the new amp will be a little better and won't give out like the first one, but I think it was just some bad luck. I think this is the least they can do considering how frustrating and crappy the service has been. I have taken precautions to making sure it is protected against power surges. I've never had any other equipment suffer from anything like this.

Anyway ... I hope that they will go through with their committment to a new sub. Thank you Klipsch!

I appreciate the Klipsch mod, Steve Bailey, getting involved in this process but this should absolutely not have come to this. Ultimate Electronics damaged your sub and then failed to replace it in a timely fashion. What about the other guys who have had the same problem and know nothing of this forum? I'm not too sure what Klipsch can do about this but I KNOW what we can do about it. I would never, ever buy a product from a company like Ultimate based upon this alone. bchild did everything right-there is nothing else he could possibly have done to protect his equipment, etc etc etc and received absolutely horrible service in return. Maybe Steve can comment on any conversations Klipsch has formally had with Ultimate to ensure that more Klipsch customers are not treated in this fashion? Unbelievable.

Wow I cannot believe that this happened to you. I live in Arizona and I really ahve never had a problem with Ultimate electronics. I have spent over $3,000 at that store and I felt that the service was not that bad. After hearing this though, I will never shop there ever again in my life. These kind of stories really upset me. I mean us consumers will shop at retail stores instead of online stores so we can get the good customer service that goes along with it. There is this little hole in the wall place by me that is an authorized dealer of the Klipsch Reference line, and I will buy from them from now on. I am so sorry that this had to happen to you.

I'm so pleased with the moderators of this forum, in particular for Steve, in that he took a concern to a long-time and continued loyal Klipsch customer. I have never been disappointed by the care and integrity with which Klipsch stands behind their products and their consumers. Perhaps the Ultimate Electronics in my area is a single source of pain within their franchise, but I have sure seen their store go downhill over the years. Its unfortuneate that it had to get this ugly for them to just pony up and do the right thing, but perhaps times have changed.

In any event I feel justice is served and that I am getting back a product that will be in the same condition as it was when it left my home for service in the first place.

Thanks again to Klipsch and the guys behind the forum. Keep up the good work. 2.gif

Guess you'll be hanging around for a while then? I've found this to be a pretty good network of people for a variety of purposes, not simply hi-fi, but we do specialize in it. WINK!

Hope that NEW KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER finds its way to your door very soon. Sorry you had to go so nuts to get a good resolution, but now you know where the good guys are!

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm this SVS phenomenom is interesting. I love the RSW-15 though. Supposedly the new sub is still on its way. They're not in too big of a hurry to get it here looks like. Oh well. The damaged one they brought back from service at least works still.

I can play the waiting game.

Its nice to "hear" that you have a working sub at least and that your new one is still on the way.

I have not had the pleasure of listening to any of the RSW's but I'm sure they are very nice especially the 15.

One word of caution:

Even though I have not heard this sub before whatever you do do not let them deliver that sub directly to your home or let the service center let you take it home without returning the other.

I'm afraid if you had two of these subs at your home at the same time you may give in to their evil wishes and hook the two up together and that would be wonderful except to one thing and one thing only.

Your pocketbook