Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Oct.25

thebes

Some very interesting suggestions lst week. Looks like I have another visit to the music store in the near future.

Last week of the month so I'll be giving away another t-shirt next week.

So what do you have to share this week?

Format is simple. Name of artists/group, style of music as best you can (jazz, blues etc.), whether its's a cd or lp and any comments you wish to share.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Buddy Guy "Feels Like Rain", cd, blues

One of the last of the great Blues artist's , I actually saw him once at his very own club in Chicago. Racous, pounding blues and a must for everyone's blues collection.

Hello:

This week, another legend. Not a new CD but if you like John Lennon, I would recommend this.

"Imagine" by John Lennon.

It is a compilation of all of John's well known songs.

The title suggests why I reommend this.

But the new influence of John Lennon on music cannot be eliminated. His comeback album showed the ability to inspire that few have.

"Watching the Wheels" refers to his career, but it can be applied to all of us. Think about taking the day off and doing nothing but strolling, whether the park, the street or the mall.

It's refreshing to able to sit and watch life.

"Imagine" has always had deep meanings. Just imagine one day where no-one arged, no-one resorted to physical violence.

"Jealous Guy" is something that most of us went through when feeling insecure, no-one arged about Religion.

The recording varies a bit as it is a compilation. But John 's message of Peace, Love and Harmony are timeless. As is the song "Stand By Me." At times we all need to know that someone actually thinks about us and will help us Stand.

Yoko has a couple of songs, but the John Lennon strength overcomes that.

If you don't have any John Lennon, this is the starting point. Give it at least a listen, then just sit back for a while and watch the wheels in your own life. Then if you have a wife or S.O., take her out to dinner and play "Woman" when you return.

You may learn something about yourself or your mate.

It's so sad he was cut down just as he was coming back.

Just "Imagine."

dodger

Great review, dodger. It raises the question about the Paul and John thing. There is a groundswell of opinion, maybe promoted by Paul, to denigrate John's musical input into the Beatles. But one listen to this great album refutes any suggestion that John was not every bit the equal of Paul in writing and producing great music. Along with Elvis Presley, John Fogerty (still alive thank goodness), Bobby Darrin and Rick Nelson, John had one of the all time great 'Pop' voices.

In my player(s) this week:

Vienna Teng - "Warm Strangers" CD...Vienna is a wonderful female singer, spare and amazingly beautiful music Genre - Female singer

Billy Cobham - "Spectrum" DVD-A what was an amazing cd is even better in hi-rez and surround... Genre - Jazz Fusion

Willie Nelson - "Spirit" CD This disc haunts me, from beginning to end it is prolific... Genre - Willie is his own genre

Larry Carlton - "Deep Into It" CD One of the best at his best Genre - Jazz Guitar

Dean Peer - "UCROSS" CD - One man, one bass, an astounding disc... Genre - Virtuoso basssists

Got some new cans and a headphone amp this weekend so I'm putting some hours on them, so much to listen to....

Would like to add 'AMEN' to Arthurs review listing of Billy Cobham 'Spectrum', although I'd like to know more about the new super release on CD.

Performance-wise, this was a loosly thrown together group of musicians, including Tommy Bolin (ex-James Gang, ex-Deep Purple, soon-ex-of-this-world as he would die at 25), and Jan Hammer on keys (ex Jeff Beck group +++). Written and recorded in THREE days, this CD cooks.

Most of the songs also available on 'The Best of Billy Cobham) Atlantic 19238-2 and live versions of the awesome 'Spectrum' available on Tommy Bolin Archives releases TBACD-1 live at Ebbetts Field 1974 with friend Bobby Berge on drums, and TBACD-3 jam at Ebbetts Field Nov 1974 with Carmine Appice on Drums. Both are amazing. Check out Tbolin.com for more archives info.

Hey, it's a DVD, does that count Thebes?

Anyway, Led Zeppelin 'No QUarter' that fantastic voyage of THE VOICE and THE GUITAR reworking Zep classics with the aid of Egyptian Orchestra is finally available on DVD this week. Check it out- I'll give review after watching a couple times.

Michael

----------------

On 10/25/2004 5:13:43 PM dodger wrote:

Hello:

This week, another legend. Not a new CD but if you like John Lennon, I would recommend this.

"Imagine" by John Lennon.

It is a compilation of all of John's well known songs.

dodger

----------------

Hey Dodger,

Imagine is not a compilation. But it is so good one could make that mistake. Definitely John`s best album. In my top 20 of all time by anyone. No question.

Great recommendation.

thebes, I second the opinion for "Feels Like Rain" by Buddy Guy. I was also fortunate enough to see him in a club in Newark,DE many moons ago. Now I know where Clapton and Hendrix got some of their licks. It's a very good CD, with some guest artists on it. I believe my favorite track was "Change In The Weather" which is originally from John Fogerty's CD "Eye Of The Zombie".

This week at BB I purchased my first Dual Disc (one side CD and one side DVD). It was The Donnas "Gold Medal". I saw them on one of the late night shows recently and was impressed with their style and energy. The CD was very enjoyable over all and the guitar work reminded me alot of the style from the 1969-1970 era with the sustain on the notes. My DVD player would not read the DVD side (however my player has been rather finicky lately about which DVDs it wants to read - may be time to replace it), but my PC did read it and I was able to view the video as well as the making of the video. I still wish my DVD player had read it as all of the songs on the DVD side are in 5.1 surround sound.