Check out these 1980s spec sheets

heresy2guy

----------------

On 10/30/2004 1:06:22 AM heresy2guy wrote:

The graph for the La Scala indicates the data was gathered at a range of one meter; the graph for the Cornwall II says it was gathered at a range of three meters. This might skew a direct graph-to-graph comparison between the La Scala and the Cornwall II.

But they are all official Klipsch figures, nonetheless.
----------------

Should of known to read the fine print ! Why the heck would they measure all but one set of speakers at 1 meter Hmmmmmmm

----------------

On 11/1/2004 8:53:00 AM NOSValves wrote:
Should of known to read the fine print ! Why the heck would they measure all but one set of speakers at 1 meter Hmmmmmmm

----------------

Look again... Heresy 2 is measured at 3 meters also

I'm guessing the greater distance might be responsible for the much, much steeper roll-off for these speakers below 40-50 hz compared to some others? I guess the only way to know for certain would be to test the same speaker at various distances.

----------------

On 10/31/2004 12:06:54 PM mikebse2a3 wrote:

this one is from the owners manual that came with some lascalas

the belle klipsch is on this one.

mike
1.gif

----------------

Wow! The frequency graphs for the Belle and LaScala look strikingly dissimilar!, especially the strong rise in the Belle between 100-300 hz compared to the LaScala. This despite the fact that the first brochure posted at the top claims the Belle and LaScala sound "virtually identical" I find THAT hard to believe. LOL I'd love to give all these speakers my own audition, and see how they stack up.

Mike,

Chances are those frequency response graphs were generated with an X-Y plotter. PWK had a Hewlett-Packard plotter in the Hope lab in the '70s. The Y-axis was fed via his Logarator (sp?) which was an RMS-to-DC converter.

If the integration time of the Logarator was set for "slow", any fast changes in the frequency response would be smoothed over. Also if the sweep time of the 20-20kHz X-axis was set to a fast sweep time and the pen speed was set to "slow", you'd get the same smoothing effect.

I doubt PWK had any malice in mind publishing these smoothed curves--he probably wanted the potential customer to see an "average" of how the loudspeaker would perform in a home environment.

Lee

Wow, first off I'd like to thank Mike for contributing his additional spec sheet postings - Thanks Mike!! 9.gif

That's one of the features I truly love of this website - the ability to share information.

Jack, the website I found the psec sheets on has the following address: http://www.hnet.net/~annas/klipsch/klipsch.html

I hope this helps.

From what I've seen of Mike's new spec sheets, I was REALLY surprised at the owner's brochure illustrating the differences in frequency response between the La Scala nad the Belle Klipsch. Cleve pointed this one out too. For speakers that have been touted by Klipsch as sounding identical, they sure don't seem that way on paper.

Anybody ever directly compared a LS to a Belle with the same amp? Could make for an interesting addendum to this post.

thanks heresy2guy and firefighter

Arkytype thanks for the info.

I'm going to try to post a sales brochure from I believe from 8/83 for those who like to see these things.

for some reason I get a time out message when I try to upload some of the files so I've reduced the resolution and hope its still readable.

mike 1.gif

EDIT: SKIP THIS FILE TO BIG

post-14473-13819259114222_thumb.jpg

hope this is better

front of brochure

This brochure's comments show how all klipsch models were based on the khorn and the compromises that each had so to give us the most sound of the khorn for the design goal PWK had for each model.

khorn- full range and least distortion

lascala- less bass extension but low distortion of khorn within its range

cornwall- bass extension second only to khorn but will have higher distortion(compared to Horn loaded bass) due to direct radiating woofer

Life and Compromises!

PWK really took care of us: All these speakers are great and PWK gave us these different models to fit our needs while still trying to provide as much of the khorn performance as possible.

Thanks PWK!!!

mike1.gif

post-14473-13819259116282_thumb.jpg