Adding LaScalas

sunprairie

Just looking for a little advice on my HT. Just purchased a set of '89 LaScalas. Right now I'm running RC-7 center, Chorus II's front, Quartet's surround. Have a set of KG-3.5's that I haven't incorporated yet, and I'm waiting for my LaScalas. What would be the best set up with what I have. I was thinking of selling one set when I get the LaScalas up and running. Was thinking about LaScala mains, Chorus surrounds, Quartet rears and RC-7 center. Running a McIntosh Sub-sorry. Will the RC-7 work ok? Give me your best advice. Really excited about my first LaScalas. 3 months ago I didn't own 1 Klipsch. Caught the fever bad! Denon 4802 A/V.

Thanks for the help--love the forum.

Sun

The LAS will have a lot more overall presence than the 3.5 or RC-7. Personally I would not run either since the crossover points and overall midrange horn sound are not even close to the LAS. Both will be dwarfed easily by the LAS and I would put money that you will be disappointed by each's performance.

Try to get another LAS. Stay with the Heritage or extended Heritage lines. If size is a problem and your room is on the small side, you could try a Heresy.

JM

OK this does not directly address what you currently have.

I run La Scala Mains. I have tried using a Ref center, Heresy II Center and a La Scala Center.

The obvious choice of the three is my current set up a three La Scala front array LCR. After that I would look at using a Heresy or other "Heritage" unit for a center. My final/last choice is to use a non-Heritage center; there is just too much timbre mismatch to go otherwise. The non-Heritage will tell you its there very easily and you just don't get a seamless match. At first you will think wow this is great, but as time goes on you will find it less and less desirable, at least I did. If you have to go with a non-Heritage center choose the one with the best sensitivity to keep up with your mains. I am sure over time you will notice the difference though.

The RC 7 is a very good speaker, but it is not designed to match your La Scalas. If you read the post on this board you will find an enumerable tally of folks who have gone down this road and finally selected the straight Heritage rig. This goes just as well the other way trying to match a Heritage center to a non-Heritage system the Heritage will show itself as a mismatch.

The best solution is to keep your lines matched

Sunprairie,

Although I have not heard the RC-7,

I would have to agree with J.4knee's post. I've been playing around with Khorns and LaScalas for front left and right, and have been experimenting with center channels (KLF-c7, Belle, LaScala).

Since my room is only 15' wide at the front, the Khorns were not spaced far enough to image properly, and so I went with LaScalas. The next problem was the center channel. I compared the LaScala versus the KLF-C7, and boy, it was a night and day difference, with the LaScala being much better. So now I have a KLF-C7 for sale. :-)

Unless you get a Hertigage center channel, and probably another LaScala, the left and right channels will simply overwhelm the center. 104dB/watt/meter efficiency is tought to compete with. I tried compensating with the output power from the pre-amp (Aragon at the time), but still was not able to match the results of the LaScala center channel.

For HT, the center channel is really important (perhaps the most important speaker?), since alot of information is passed through the center relative to other speakers.

Regards

Dave

Actually, what I was thinking is to stay with 5.1-La Scala Mains, Chorus surrounds, Quartet Center and rear, can the 3.5's and RC-7, and I think I will be pretty close to where I want to be until I can round up another La Scala or a single Cornwall for Center. What do you think?

I guess that would be 6.1

Room is 16' x 30'. Fair amount of room to work with. Right now I'm running from a corner, but thinking about setting up the front on the long wall. (30')

Well, my suggestion was just to try what he had.

I'll likely be looking for a pair of Heresy's next spring to act as my center (both of them). It would be about the same price to buy a single La Scala, but a single one is difficult to find, especially here in Quebec.

Peter

----------------

On 11/1/2004 11:33:35 PM psg wrote:

It would be about the same price to buy a single La Scala, but a single one is difficult to find, especially here in Quebec.

Peter

----------------

A single LS would be difficult to find anywhere I would expect2.gif

sunprairie, you're right on track. Select the centre configuration that is least offensive to you and stick with it until a suitable Heritage option becomes available. I suggest in your case a pair of Heresy's as your centre channel. Both speakers could be wired in parallel or series as the case may be, depending on the ability of your amplifier to drive low impedance loads.

Type in 'series and parallel' into the 'search' engine and check the threads out concerning this topic. Gilbert has written a very good synopsis on this very issue.

I used a KLF-C7 with my La Scalas for 2 or 3 years and was satisfied. It was not a goos match, but the C7 sounds darn good.

Now, I'm using a Heresy I with the same squawker and tweeter my La Scalas have. A Heresy is far too bright with the standard crossover to match La Scalas. It was worse than the C7.

After some research, I developed a crossover mod that makes the Heresy extremely close to La Scalas using the pink noise my Pre/Pro generates to set levels. Even then voices sometimes don't sound just right (sort of nasal). This may be because the Heresy is on a shelf above my TV and the back is 2' or so off of the wall. The response curves of the modified Heresy is flatter than the unmodified version; it no longer has the upward tilt as frequencies rise. Look for a thread in the last 2 days showing a bunch of response curves.

My crossover mods should be in the "Updating" Section when you search.

Your on the right track. Anything less than another La Scala, or Belle, will be a disappointment. The good thing is... you really won't know what your missing until you replace the center. As those above have indicated, when it comes to speakers, the center is the centerpiece of your HT.

My HT started with two Chorus IIs, an old yamaha center, and some infinity surrounds. I found a sweet pair of La Scalas, moved the Chorus' to surround, and picked up a C7. Big Improvement.

I picked up a second pair of La Scalas, and used a Chorus center. Big Improvement.

I bought a set of Belles, sold one, used the other for my center. Very big improvement. The front soundstage is by far the most important, with the center setting the stage. You may be able to get away with lesser surrounds, but you'll want a Belle or La Scala for your center. Don't worry, if you have to buy a pair, it will be easy to sell the other one. It is well worth it.

One note, with the La Scalas, I found two subs better than one. Its not so much about output, but because the La Scalas don't dig very deep, I could easily hear the location of my sub. Maybe it was just my room.