RF series 7 speakers in a small room??

kera3

This is my first post and I am in need of help!!

We are currently building a house and will have a dedicated home theatre room.

I wanted to buy the RF7's, RS7's and RC7, but the problem is our room will only be

5.2 metres in length x 3.6 metres in width.

I was wondering if this is overkill for such a small room??

Also will an Onkyo 701 receiver be adequate to drive these babies??

As much as I love the RF-7's in a small (12'x17')home theater

dedicated room, you can get by with smaller speakers. The front

of the RF's will be at least 3' from the back wall. Personally

if I was building a dedicated HT room with your dimensions I

would look at RCW-5 as the mains and get a good (RSW-12 or 15)

subfoofer.

----------------

On 11/4/2004 9:59:11 AM caveboy wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forum
10.gif
Although i posted this before, but my room was 3m x 3.5m.. The people here advised me to get the rf-5 , rf-35 or rb-75 for my setup.. But if ur room is treated properly, u might be able to get the flagship rf-7.

Hope this helps..

----------------

3mx3,5m!?!?!? iunderstand your name cave boy now9.gif

you re right, if your room is treated you can have these big speakers.

but a speaker cannot be resized and i guess that your room too.so if you have RF7, with some space behind and on the side, it may not remain a lot of space to place a sofa. and if your room is small i think you don t need a such powerfull speaker, i m sure there are some speakers that will match your room in a better way.

i think some RB will be enought, what about 5 identical RB and a sub?

PS:don t forget that if your room is too small, your neighbor will heard the bass more then you

That's about 17 x 12 feet. I use a pair of La Scala's in a 30 x 11' room, only using up about 15 feet of the room for the HT part. The La Scala's are along the 11' wall, but they can go into the corners since they are not rear-ported. It would be better in a larger room, but it works well for me.

i agree...

what i would mean is that sometimes you don t have to spent too much money if you can have the same sound for less money.

there is another point of view:

you can buy big speakers now in tour small room and the day you will change of house they will may be have a larger room2.gif

----------------

On 11/4/2004 8:36:44 AM kera3 wrote:

I wanted to buy the RF7's, RS7's and RC7, but the problem is our room will only be 5.2 metres in length x 3.6 metres in width.

----------------

I have the full Reference 7 package (as well as a pair of RF-5s) in a room about 14 x 15 feet myself (approximatly 4 x 5 meters). These are powered by a pretty darn powerful B&K Ref 200.7 amp. The speakers actually fit quite well into this room, with plenty of space for the TV, couch, loveseat and coffee table.

If you are getting these through a dealer with a good return policy, I'd say go for it and try them out. At the very least if you find they are just "to much", then it is easier to "downgrade" to something that'll fit better, than it is to sit there thinking, "I wish I at least tried the bigger speakers and see if they worked".

any way if you love these speakers they will probably sound good anywhere.

and i cannot say don t buy them:

my SF1 system was first in a little flat of only one room of 25m².

i listened to music sat on the floor between my bed and the cooking place9.gif

now i live in a bigger flat and they sound better.

so even if them don t give their best today...may be in a futur house your RF7 will be perfect.

kera3: Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you here.

Your room's dimensions are greater than those of mine 10.5 feet x 19 feet (roughly) and I use much the same compliment of speakers in my room, except that we have two additonal channels in the rear for 7.1 made up of two RCW-5 in-wall speakers. We also have an RSW-15 subwoofer.

The results in my room are simply remarkable and not even close to what I would call "overkill". Please review our home theater site below. If I had to judge the resultant sound in our small room, I'd have to said it is outstanding! Never overpowering.

As for your receiver. I see that it is rated for 100 watts per channel x 6. That should do a decent job with the 7's and it should be a good starting point. But, I might suggest in the future going for a bit more power if you can afford to. Natrually, that all depends on how loud you wish to play your system and what you want to do with it. Best of luck!

I've got a full 7 series plus the RSW-15 in a smallish (15 X 17) room. The plasma is wall mounted. I recessed the RC-7, hung the RS-7s from the ceiling and put all the electronics in an adjaecent space (controlled by a universal MX-600 unit). So the room has just seating, the RF-7s and sub on the floor. Sounds great and looks good too.9.gif

Gosh, make me feel bad. I have 3 RF-7s 2 RF-3IIs and 2 RS3-IIs in a 11 by 12 foot room. I may be a foot off here, but I also have my bed and a night stand in there to. But it does help that I have shelvs from my walls and a small 14 inch screen which I am thinking of changing out. But I do plan on having a larger room in the future, so thats why I didn't mind buying all this. Anyway, it sounds great to me.

CD

----------------

On 11/4/2004 10:14:17 AM doudou wrote:

----------------

On 11/4/2004 9:59:11 AM caveboy wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forum
10.gif
Although i posted this before, but my room was 3m x 3.5m.. The people here advised me to get the rf-5 , rf-35 or rb-75 for my setup.. But if ur room is treated properly, u might be able to get the flagship rf-7.

Hope this helps..

----------------

3mx3,5m!?!?!? iunderstand your name cave boy now
9.gif

you re right, if your room is treated you can have these big speakers.

but a speaker cannot be resized and i guess that your room too.so if you have RF7, with some space behind and on the side, it may not remain a lot of space to place a sofa. and if your room is small i think you don t need a such powerfull speaker, i m sure there are some speakers that will match your room in a better way.

i think some RB will be enought, what about 5 identical RB and a sub?

PS:don t forget that if your room is too small, your neighbor will heard the bass more then you

----------------

Haha5.gif I live in a apartment..

I don't care what anyone says, there ain't no such thing as a speaker too big for a room. The RF-7's are more sensitive, so have less distortion at any give volume level compared to any of the other Reference speakers. There's no experience as thrilling as a literal "wall of sound" leaping into your lap. Stack'em and rack'em baby.