Would this work together ok?

cdsang

I am planing out a system idea for a friend who only listens in 2 channel. Useally its just music. Not to offend, but I only want an SS pre-amp and amp. I bet tubes sound good, but I feel it may either be to expensive or not enought power. The system I am thinking of putting together is

Klipsch RB-35s which my friend has heard and likes them alot.

Onkyo M282 amp

Parasound PHP-850 pre-amp.

Trying to come up with a good 2 channel system without spending alot. With what I have come up with, the system may come out to be about $950. I don't want to go over 1000 USD. She doesn't listen to the radio, so my other idea was a nice 2 channal intergrated amp. The RB-35s are to stay in the plan but other ideas about the electronics are welcome. And just for pricing sake so you know whats left over, I can get the RB-35s for 450 leaving about 550 including shipping. Thank you in advance.

CD

CD,

That is nice of you to put a system together for your friend.

I'm not familiar with the particular components you mention, but would think that an integrated amp would provide a more resonable economy than seperates. A huge winner in the bang for the buck category would be to drive the Klipsh speakers with a vintage Harman Kardon receiver 430, 630, etc. The vintage H/K also has a very high cool factor, IMO.

CD, you devil you. A woman you say. Since it's gear you don't want to show your romantic side with a fashion statemnt like an old receiver. Woman are much more parctical then we are so go for a good mid-fi SS with the ability to last a long time and upgrade her to 5.1 should she ever decide to go that way. I'd say a good Denon or Onkyo, a fine wine and some smooth jazz should do the trick.

Maybe Cluless will weigh in and nail it down for you.

Thank you for your answers. This friend of mine actually likes this audio hobby. She loves my RF-7s but think they are to big. I should of said this in my first post but for refernce(no pun intended)sake the RB-35s were powered by a Pioneer Elite reciver and an Onkyo 6 DVD player. I can useally get at least 10% off of Pioneer Elite, Denon, Onkyo,and Kenwood. The only place I can get Yamaha is at Best Buy. The Harman Kardon stuff off the internet or a long drive to CuircutCity. Creek I think from Audio Advisor. So far trying to look at your suggestions. I work 7 days a week so I am pretty busy and I haven't had much time to look latly.

CD