Heritage edgebanding: iron-on or glue-on?

fini

Does anyone know if mid-80's Heresys (not IIs), as well as other Heritage speakers from that time, have iron-on or glue-on edgebading? I have a repair to do, and am thinking of just going ahead and removing the existing banding, rather than patching. I'm guessing the iron-on would be easier to remove, by simply using an iron and a putty knife...

I really don't know and would hesitate to give you any bad advice.

That said.

I've read about wood workers using yellow or white glue as a type of iron-on glue.

The yellow or white stuff which we get from Home Depot is created so that it goes on as a liquid. The chemistry is such that exposure to air causes the liquid to polyimimize. That is to say, the little "mers" link up to become "poly - mers." (This may be an overstatement of the technology. Mers are small organic molicules like ethylines and not the large molecules in glue.)

However, the final result of yellow or white glue is a solid which is also a thermo plastic. This is just to say, it gets soft with heat, regardless of what reaction got it solid in the first place.

So the woodworkers will paint on some yellow or white glue to the veneer and the wood, let it dry, and then use a clothes iron to melt them together.

Looking at the iron on stuff from HD, it looks like a film of yellow glue.

In another vein, many glues, paints, resins, etc. are susepatble to softening by heat.

The bottom line is that whatever is holding the veneer to the wood probably will become plastic (flowable, soft) and gooey with the application of a clothes iron. So I'd expect you can use a putty knife to get under the stuff and it will peel off.

I've had the unfortuate situation of having to use this technique with contact cement and veneer. It works. But you wind up with a messy surface.

One thing I'm not sure of is what to do when you want to apply the new edging. My guess is that the hot iron will force a melting of the new onto the old. But this is terra incognito.

Naturally, I suggest you mask off the big surfaces which the edging is attached to.

Gil

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 11/25/2004 8:40:28 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

Home this evening thru Saturday morning, then back to duty. I should be heading to sandbox within a month or so. There hasn't really been much chance for me to get online the past three weeks...may be the same for the next few weeks.

----------------

Andy, take care of you out there. Good to see you on the forum.