Closest ones yet

swells

I read a few older post last night, one HBDRbuilder mentioned the cost diff between building and picking up a used pair. I can see where je is coming from and believe that it would be in my best interest to pick up a used pair if I could find a pair relatively close.

Well, their getting closer. I may be able to find a local pair before I get a chance to build mine. Lol These ones are almost make able in a weekend, as long a I dont stop for sleep, food or rest stops. 43 hours and two min. round trip. Any idea how much it would cost to ship a pair of khorns?

post-11311-1381925928405_thumb.jpg

That's a hell of a long drive, not to mention the trip across the border. Exhausting to say the least.

I don't know if I would trust shipping Khorns. Packing them alone could be several hundred dollars. I would use a furnture moving company like United Van Lines. Here in California United has a specialty division that moves electronics and trade show exibits. I would suspect there are companies that do this type of work in your area.

From looking at the few plans available on the web, building a set of K-horns would be difficult even with a setup jig. I would guess many of the angled parts would have to be hand fit on the fly during construction. Personally, I like the challenge of DIY and enjoy building cabinets as a hobby. I might try to DIY a set of Klipschorns someday.

I used Navis Pack and Ship to ship me a pair of Khorns from Chicago to Ohio about 400 miles one way. They picked them up at the prvious owners house, took them back to their warehouse, built a crate and shipped them via common carrier. Total cost $700.00

They arrived safe and sound, not a scractch on them. I would have perferred trying a moving company but Navis came through with quick price and guarantee so I went with it.

http://www.navispackandship.com/

A long drive, I guess. Thats why I started toying with the idea of building my own. That and a number of people are saying how difficult construction is. That made it sound even more fun. But I did some costing, found parts on ebay, and I believe the cost is going to be $2,000 give or take a $200. It would be fun to build, but for the same money, I would like to have a serial number and tag. I am going to check the local authorized service store for the parts cost too, just havent had time to go yet. I also started toying with the idea of scaling down my plans and stuffing the guts out of my heresy in to;

1. see if I can build the cabinet.

2. Give me something to work for a couple of months without spending $1,000 on drivers.

3. see how the heresy would sound aa a fully loaded horn.

4. be able to scale the cabinets to fit my room.

I started scaling my khorn drawing last night, but I am wondering how much to scale the plans to make them suitable for the k-22. or how much performance would be effect by scaling.

I will keep my eyes open in Main, NH etc The only problem with ebay is, you got to be ready to jump when something comes along. I normally have to think and ponder about things before acting and then I will be too late.

PSG, yeah, I don't think I could part with the Heresy. They are part of the family. Even if I do experiment with them in a full horn cab and sound like heaven it's self, they will go back to being heresy. I'll just have to find a beat-up pair on ebay and part them for the job. They would have to be beat though, I would hate to have a perfectly good cabinet laying around.

I am in Burlington, VT near the Canadian border and I got a pair in Maine two years ago for $1250, the same guy had a pair of '67's that I hooked another forum member up with that he got for $1000. He had La Scala's for $400 that I made a return trip for and he also had a pair of Velodyne subs of which I bought one. I will watch the newspapers and flyers in this area, do Google and Yahoo searches for Klipschorn's I have had some luck with them steering me to websites that have them for sale.

I placed a WTB Audiogon ad and that is how I got the first pair of Khorns that I have. Get this the guy originally offered me the 2 pairs of Khorns and the La Scala's for $2100. I had no way to get them or any place to store them, but I ended up with most of them anyway. I will keep an eye out for you guys.

Thanks Frzninvt, Ill start search Google and yahoo too. I wonder if any of the newspapers publish want adds to the web, my local one does. i.e. CAN (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa) US (Bangor, Portland etc)

Im curious, I wonder how many people here live in Eastern Canada. I felt kind of alone until PSG popped up. Im sure there must be a few. Its been a few years since we had a decent display locally, (that I saw anyway). I was in Southern Nova Scotia a couple of years ago, they at least had a pair of RF-5 on display. OH, I am not saying this to put down the dealers etc. I know there is a small number of sale in hi fidelity equipment here in comparison to , well nearly every where else. Lol just kidding. Most of the display items here are B&W, Energy & Paradigm I tend to walk past most of the others. For the longest time, if I mentioned Klipsch I got a sideways sort of blank look. Thats change since Klipsch hit the market with the ProMedia stuff a few years ago though.

No, there are no KHorns around here that I have ever seen for sale. There was a Klipsch dealer in Quebec City in the 80's with a pair of each model in the show room, so there must be some Heritage in Quebec City.

--

Thanks Frzninv! That would be fantastic! My La Scala's are black, so I'd like to match them with black Heresy's, but I'm not commited to that contraint.

Peter

Be patient It took me over a year and a 700 mile round trip to get my Khorns for C$2000.00 ( They were in very poor cosmetic condition but worked fine. )They look fairly decent now and sound lovely.

The thought of a 3000 mile +\- rounder makes me shudder.

----------------

On 11/8/2004 3:15:45 PM swells wrote:

I also started toying with the idea of scaling down my plans and stuffing the guts out of my heresy in to;

1. see if I can build the cabinet.

2. Give me something to work for a couple of months without spending $1,000 on drivers.

3. see how the heresy would sound aa a fully loaded horn.

4. be able to scale the cabinets to fit my room.

I started scaling my khorn drawing last night, but I am wondering how much to scale the plans to make them suitable for the k-22. or how much performance would be effect by scaling.

----------------

Since you are using cad, try a re-scale of the drawing to 80% of the original. That should get you very close. As the K-horn uses the joining walls as part of the design...

Perhaps someone on the Klipsch Forum could calculate an expected curve if given the new horn measurements and your listening room info.

Just finished rescaling by 81.25%, only took three hours. lol Why 81.25%, right now I'm not sure. Really there was some thought into it, but I think 80% would have been a nice round number. First I measured my listening height and figured I would have to scale 80% to 82% to get the mid at my ear height. then for some reason I started figuring I may use 16mm (5/8") material in a full size model, so scaled at 81.25% would give me 13mm (1/2"). so that's what I did, ended up with some wiered dimendions though. The room is 14'x12' and I'll rearange to use the length if I get/build a corner horn.

----------------

On 11/8/2004 3:02:32 PM psg wrote:

We're practically neighbours! (Rimouski, Quebec)

Will you be needing those Heresy's when you get your KHorns?

----------------

Hey peter... I've been hunting Heritage klipsch in the Montreal region for quite some time... and saw your "want ad" on the Quebec audio site. I'm the guy looking for Khorns on the same site.

I just sent you some info on a pair of black Klipsch KG4 not far from me... I know they aren't exactly what you are looking for, but they are inexpensive and worth the effort in my opinion.

Now, if i could only find that illusive set of Klipschorns ...

Rob

----------------

On 11/9/2004 1:51:45 AM formica wrote:

I just sent you some info on a pair of black Klipsch KG4 not far from me... I know they aren't exactly what you are looking for, but they are inexpensive and worth the effort in my opinion.

----------------

hmmm... just looked at eBay, and the KG4 are quite a bit cheaper than heritage... price turns out to be more average than i thought.

I'll keep my eyes open for another pair of Heresys...