I just ordered a VPI Scout - what's the best interconnet ???

john4618

Hello,

I'm told that I want the lowest possible capacitance cable I can find, is this true ???

I need a pair of RCAs between my Scout and phono preamp -and- a pair of RCAs between my phono preamp and preamp.

Can/should these two pairs be the same type cables ???

What do you recommend for between my Scout and phono preamp ???

What do you recommend for between phono preamp and preamp ???

What about the VPI JMW 1M PHONO CABLE SERIES 2 W/SHIELD RCA TO RCA -- Im told they are a decent cable but not great cable ??? Does anyone have any experience with these ???

Thanks for any help.

I'm told that I want the lowest possible capacitance cable I can find, is this true ???

Yes.

I need a pair of RCAs between my Scout and phono preamp -and- a pair of RCAs between my phono preamp and preamp.

Can/should these two pairs be the same type cables ???

Not necessarily.

What do you recommend for between my Scout and phono preamp ???

What do you recommend for between phono preamp and preamp ???

You can read about some options here:

Kimber and VDH also manufacture low capacitance cables that are worth auditioning.

I can reccommend the VPI IC. Both Edmond Long (Jazman) and myself both use this cable and it works quite well with the Scout. It's made of the same wire as used in the tonearm.

I don't feel that there is anything missing from this cable at all. It certainly is not a weak link in my system.

good luck

Tim

----------------

On 11/11/2004 11:40:23 PM tbabb wrote:

I can reccommend the VPI IC. Both Edmond Long (Jazman) and myself both use this cable and it works quite well with the Scout. It's made of the same wire as used in the tonearm.

I don't feel that there is anything missing from this cable at all. It certainly is not a weak link in my system.

good luck

Tim

----------------

Ditto!

Tom

< Where did you find the best deal on it ? >

I got everything at elusivedisc.com from Jason

They're having a special right now for the VPI SCOUT W/ JMW 9 TONEARM & NEW DYNAVECTOR 10X5 CARTRIDGE for $1799.99 (normally $1950.00) and since I was a first time buyer the shipping was free.

I also got the VPI cable from them for $199

John,

I've never heard the Parasound, but for an entry level Phono stage should do you good. Bit of advice, down the line get yourself a phono stage comparable to the rest of your system, as this is your weekest link. Do justice to that new front end you won't regret it. There are some good finds on the used market (Audiogon), so new is not your only option. Have fun with it.

Tom

First off I'd consider something tubed as it will warm the sound up a bit. When I first put together my set up I was in a similiar situation regarding a entry level phono stage. I picked up the Anthem which new listed for $1200.00 at a considerable discount on Audiogon and now have no desire to upgrade. In this case price determines performance, You have some well made good quality gear there, it will perform its best with the best in line. Do some research on different phono's, sampling would be difficult so you may just have to jump in and get your feet wet.

Tom

Jazman just bought a very nice Wright 100C tube phono stage for a reasonable price. You may want to send him a PM (I hope he doesn't mind me offering his services12.gif). He's extremely knowledgable in this area and always seems willing to help. He also does a lot of research before making any purchases. If you do a search for my "New TT Pics" thread, look for his post regarding the Wright.

I don't see any reason not to mix tube & SS components, they can compliment each other nicely. In the case of having a SS amp adding a nice tube pre can really add some warmth to your sound. That phono I pointed out is a good buy at a third of new, it's more in line with the quality of components you are currently using and a very respectable company to boot.

Tom

----------------

On 11/13/2004 3:34:18 AM john4618 wrote:

Tom,

What would you recommend as a "phono stage comparable to the rest of my system" ???

John
----------------

John,

Congratulation on adding the Scout to your system. Before recommending a phono stage, what are the components you plan to use with this "2" channel system for the present? What and where do you plan to take your system? Your Scout purchase surely indicates more than a pedestrian interest in vinyl. There are phono preamp options that can surely out perform the Parasound unit for not many additional dollars. What are your budget parameters? Please feel free to send me an email via the PM. When is your Scout due to arrive? Maybe I could loan you my former tube phono pre to give you an idea of what is possible for a few dollars more.(I'm not looking for a sale.)

Klipsch out.