How good is your local movie theater? Mine is GREAT.

kenratboy

The theater I go to is about 15 minuites from my house. It is a 14-plex and is operated by Century Theaters. I have not once been let down by them. The soda's have syrup, the bathrooms are clean, the theaters are clean and comforatable, the movies always sound great and the screen is focused, etc. They just do it right. A matinee (sp?) is now $5.75 and a medium coke is $3.50 (I smuggle candy, but they don't care even if they see it) and I really do enjoy getting out of the house.

I know a lot of you have $h!thole theaters, but anyone else have one they go to that is always as good as the one near me?

Sure, The Arclight, The Kodak Theater (where they hold the Oscars and Emmy's), The Grove Cineplex, The Bridge (all seats are leather)...

No home theater, even in the 6-digit range, heck, not even in the 7-digit range (well, maybe...), could hope to come close to the picture and sound of these true high-end Hollywood megaplexes. But of course, entry doesn't come without a price. About $15 to $20 a ticket. BUT...you get to choose your exact seat via touchscreen panel. It's all stadium seating. Tons of legroom. About a 30-40 speaker system. Talk about surround, eh?? AND the "concession stand" that ranges from mix-and-match your own candy bags to full out bars. Yes, bars. Nothing like sipping on a martini while the bass blows you out of your seat.

How's that for pretty dope?

two theaters 15 minutes away- a 12 and 8 Plex...........Keasote theaters which is owned by the Lowes chain, But they DON't hve Klipsch speakers, like the Indy Lowes do.

8.gif

A Matinee is now 5.50 and the Main show is 6.00 . 2 Medium cokes, and Popcorn are now 11.50..................8.gif

I (WE) do not go often. We just wait until it comes out on DVD and rent it so we can watch it at home. Or during the summer we wait until it is showing at the drive-in, can't beat the 9 bucks for a car load (usually take the pickup and put the blowup mattress in the back and take our own popcorn and ice chest filled with all the kids favorites.

The theatre that is the best is stadium seating but your shoes usually stick to the floor.

----------------

On 11/14/2004 1:25:37 PM Q-Man wrote:

I havn't been to one in years, and I will most likely will never go to one again.

----------------

Me either. Heck, most of them around here have closed up. There is a great big one about 5 minutes away but I hear it's hard to park because it's so jammed all the time. Not alot of competition around here for them anymore.

The Theatres where I am here in Australia are Crap!

Crappy seats, Big pictures, But not bright enough I don't know if the projector is to small or they just keep the brightness down to save on replacements, Only one of the Theatres has DTS sound, Most are struggling even to get Dolby Digital!

They are amazingly overpriced! One company runs all 3 cinemas in my town (18 screens in total) and they know they can charge whatever they want and give bad service, And you have no choice.

I refuse to go to them, My GF was a cinema junkie, But since I took her to a cinema in the next city, She could see the difference and now also refuses to support the local cinemas

Best part is she can now see the logic in a dedicated home theatre and we now have double the budget for the new Cinema in our new house when it gets built in the next couple of months 3.gif

Here in downtown Chicago there are lots of choices. All are a bus ride away.

I think the owners got it right with the new cineplex with stadium seating. Ticket prices are high, hitting $10. You get what you pay for. I've also visited the $5 theaters and concluded that the savings is not worth it.

In days past I saw the first run of Star Wars in the big palaces. They looked magnificent but were 1940's seating and the sound was not that good in comparison to what we have now.

There are some old gems. The Music Box shows classics and art films. They have an organ player, the relatively small theater has been restored. It is worth a visit once a year.

The bottom line for me is that "progress" is indeed better.

One secret pleasure was to smuggle a Big Mac into a theater. Better than the overpriced concession stand. Right now I scope out a local Chinese restaurant and eat before going in. It turns out to be cheaper and more healthy.

I'm not quite to full HD at home. A few months ago I purchased wide screen laptop. Compaq X-1000. I was on the road and it was a floor model, on sale, at the Office Depot. Then I found some "in your ear" Sony headphones. Very impressive. So let's not forget this sort of alternative to HT, and going out to a cineplex.

Best,

Gil

----------------

On 11/14/2004 12:17:52 AM nicholtl wrote:

No home theater, even in the 6-digit range, heck, not even in the 7-digit range (well, maybe...), could hope to come close to the picture and sound of these true high-end Hollywood megaplexes.

----------------

Yes, we have a couple of those high end mexaplexes here in South Florida also. Comfortable seating, great sound, eye popping PQ. Unfortunatly, they also come with rude people who won't stop talking, cell phones ringing every few minuits, teenagers horsing around, babies crying, etc etc etc. Be it ever so humble, THERE"S NO PLACE LIKE HOME when it comes to theater IMHO.

Jerry Rappaport

I've always been a fan of nova cinemas...

$5.50 gets you your ticket, drink and popcorn. The sound is good enough that it doesn't distract from the movie. (I tend to get distracted by crappy sound easily)

There's an AMC30 nearby that everyone in the area raves about with the stadium seating and all that. I can't stand the place though because it's always too loud (both the sound system and the crowd), the bass has that crappy boomy-hollow JBL sound and it costs a fricken $7.50 just to get in...popcorn and drink is an additional $4.50.

Multiply by two and that's $24 versus $11 to take out the woman 2.gif For $6 more than amc I can get dinner too.

Most of the average theaters near our house are dreadful. But, the Henry Ford IMAX nearby, on the other hand, is state-of-the-art. It is showing 'The Polar Express in 3D' right now. This theater gives viewers the absolute ultimate experience in site and sound. There is an MJR 20 within 20 minutes of home that isn't too bad. All of the screens have stadium seating and surround and they charge about $8.50. But the sound is marginal at best and rarely is the screen focus very sharp. I prefer paying the $12.50 to go to the IMAX or to just stay home and watch in our own theater.

nicholtl: With all due respect to you, my friend, if I had to pay $15 to 20 to see a movie at a theater, I think I'd prefer to buy the DVD for less and watch it at home. The drinks are cheaper, too. 2.gif

----------------

On 11/14/2004 6:24:42 PM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

----------------

On 11/14/2004 12:17:52 AM nicholtl wrote:

No home theater, even in the 6-digit range, heck, not even in the 7-digit range (well, maybe...), could hope to come close to the picture and sound of these true high-end Hollywood megaplexes.

----------------

Yes, we have a couple of those high end mexaplexes here in South Florida also. Comfortable seating, great sound, eye popping PQ. Unfortunatly, they also come with rude people who won't stop talking, cell phones ringing every few minuits, teenagers horsing around, babies crying, etc etc etc. Be it ever so humble, THERE"S NO PLACE LIKE HOME when it comes to theater IMHO.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

Amen on that. I have been spoiled by the convenience of sitting at home in my easy chair without having to worry about someone passing over me to go to the bathroom or by some jerk making comments just to get a few laughs. I have learned to appreciate the sound and picture quality that I have invested so much into.

Glenn, GlennG, yeah, you guys are right. It is more enjoyable to watch a movie at home at times, since there's nobody to bother you, you can sprawl out on the couch however you please, drinks and food are free, you can pause to go to the bathroom, etc. But still, assuming there are no cellphone gossipers or crying babies in the theater (and that's a BIG assumption, I realize), there is still nothing quite like the experience of watching a movie in a spectacular theater with astonishing sight and sound with several hundred other strangers with whom you laugh, cry, grow angry, feel sad, and share every spectrum of the emotional rainbow with.

It has been a very long time (years) since I have been to a theatre. A lot of it has to do with them playing movies that don't interest me but still a significant part of it is that its cheaper and more enjoyable to me to sit a home and enjoy the movie on my system. We supposedly have a Klipsch equipped theatre nearby I just have not been to it. I agree the big screen does have its affect on you and can be very enjoyable, but there is the aforementioned rude patrons who seem to drag down the experience. Will I go again probably but dont ask when as the spirit would have to make a significant move to push me in that direction mainly because I am getting my system into the finishing stages now.

I got a new dickenson theater about 3 mins from my house. Its got smaller theaters but its very nice. There are 15 rooms and I am very happy its there. The closest one prior to that was 15-20min away. They also have 50cent popcorn and drinks. The drinks are about 32oz too so its very nice.

They have very good sound quality too. Sometimes you can hear the rumbling of the theater next to you if something big is going on.

In many ways, I agree with the home theater thing. I thoroughly enjoy my system at home and there's nothing like plopping down into my plush sofa and crankin up the movie to whatever level I want....

However....there's nothing that matches the excitement of going to the local theater(if you've got a good one) and watching the a great "new release" movie with everyone else who is just as excited about the new release as you are. Besides...I could never sit around for another 8 months or so to wait for the "Incredibles" to come out on DVD! The theater was a buzz of excitement when I went to see it last weekend!!!! The same holds true for all the other blockbuster movies. (Lord of the Rings HAS to be seen on the big screen as well as Star Wars, Gladiator, etc)

We've got an awesome state of the art CinemaWorld stadium seating DLP theater right around the corner from my house and it's great for $7.50 a pop. If you go to the later movies, the kids and the noises just aren't there (they've got other things to do that late at night).