WHO HAS THE HERESY'S IN THE CEILING?

iwillwalk

I posted this last night, but apparently the forum was hungry and ate it. Trying again.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=53644&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={52DF6019-C443-4EED-831C-B7763DC929FB}

Should get you started, the one post has a link to the drawings and install instructions.

----------------

On 11/18/2004 9:53:49 AM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I posted this last night, but apparently the forum was hungry and ate it. Trying again.

Should get you started, the one post has a link to the drawings and install instructions.
----------------

Sorry to be so late to the thread - That link and the picture above cover the gamut. These speakers are in their third or fourth year in the ceiling and I have been extremely pleased with the look and sound. Anyone is welcome to private message me for more details.

It is a very simple, secure approach that can be made attractive - kind of the best of all worlds. It takes no significantly fine carpentry except for the outside trim. The cost is less than $20 (which included the trim in my case).

Thanks to all for their nice comments.

That really is a slick setup. All the better that it was cheap and easy. Anybody have any thoughts on how to pull something similar to that off if you don't have access from above? I don't have the ability to go into the attic and drop them down from above because right above my HT (HT is in basement) is my 1st. floor foyer...don't think my wife would be keen on my cutting large holes there to drop them in.

I was looking into how I might do it last night. The joists run the right direction to put the speaker between them (16" centers parallel to projection screen) and deep enough to house the speaker in the cavity between joists and below flooring above. The problem I see is that the speaker would have to be mounted before the drywall was put up. In turn the drywall would have to be cut and finished to fit sort of like you do with the installation of a recessed light except the speaker would be hanging down past the drywall. Not impossible, but messy and potential for damage would be there. Also this would make for a more permanent installation with little future access.

I was kicking around the idea of some sort of larger face plate if that makes sense. Maybe 6 inches wider then the speakers and spanning an additional joist in front and back. You would install the drywall to the ceiling except in the area of this "face plate" when finished with construction mount the speaker, then put the face plate over the speaker to cover the larger hole having just the speaker pop through. A lot more work, but hopefully the same result. Any other ideas out there on how to pull this off? What are the thoughts on getting MDF or other material to match up nicely with the drywall?

----------------

On 11/19/2004 1:40:53 PM htxpert wrote:

Yikes!! If you are going to do something like that

you must have pretty understanding better half's

Why not do a pair of KPT-1201's surface mounted with SB-6 bracket and be done with it

----------------

IMO the ceiling mount pictured looks better than a black KPT. If it were me, and I was mixing Heritage and pro, I would use the KPT250 instead of the 1201.

JM