Best option shipping US to Canada?

psg

If I were to have a Heresy shipped from California to Quebec Canada, which should I use for the approx 40 lbs package?

USPS Airmail Parcel Post (4 - 10 Days) US$55.25

FedEx International ground (9 days) US$48.65

Is one better with customs and collecting taxes?

Is one more gentle with packages?

Thanks!

USPS offers no means of tracking the package, I sent a DBX10/20 Eq to Canada once via USPS it took 55 days to reach him. I did this because he wanted to avoid all the broker/customs fees that UPS hit him up with on a DBX amp and preamp that I had sent him. The USPS was useless in trying to help locate it and could offer no assistance until at least 30 days had transpired.

I would go Fedex if it were me.

----------------

On 11/18/2004 1:45:26 PM Frzninvt wrote:

USPS offers no means of tracking the package, I sent a DBX10/20 Eq to Canada once via USPS it took 55 days to reach him. I did this because he wanted to avoid all the broker/customs fees that UPS hit him up with on a DBX amp and preamp that I had sent him. The USPS was useless in trying to help locate it and could offer no assistance until at least 30 days had transpired.

I would go Fedex if it were me.

----------------

So FedEx don't charge an arm and a leg for brokerage fees (like UPS does)?

I'd get only a C$5 handling fee to collect the 15% combined federal and provincial taxes using USPS.

I've been doing a bit of searching with google, and it appears that all packages that go through FedEx go through a custom broker and the rate varies depending on the broker that handled your package, with no way to know in advance. The $7 price difference might cover it, or it might not. I don't know if they charge a flat rate or a percentage.

USPS Parcel Post will be likely less expensive overall. The delivery times quoted are optimistic to say the least but FedEx will probably be the fastest.

FWIW I generally find shipping from the US to Canada to be very slow. I bought a quad set of tubes from a fellow in Hong Kong and they arrived 10 days earlier than a tube I bought from a fellow in LA.

I checked the postmarks and learned that the LA tube had been mailed 2 weeks before the tubes from Hong Kong.

FedEx air would be very fast and very expensive.

Well, I listed the prices in my initial post if you look again:

USPS Airmail Parcel Post (4 - 10 Days) US$55.25

FedEx International ground (9 days) US$48.65

With USPS, I'll be charged 15% tax on the value of the goods plus a C$5 handling fee.

With FedEx, I'll likely be charged the same 15% tax and an unknown and variable brokerage fee.

I may go FedEx to get tracking; the difference in price will likely end up being similar unless FedEx has really outrageous brokerage fees.

I sent a 70 pound box of albums to a forum member in Canada using FedEx ground and while they made it safe and sound, I got a $209 charge on my CC from FedEx. I have an online account and usually don't know the cost until my bill comes. I called customer service and they reduced it to about $50. They said they had no idea why it was so high and revalued the transaction and gave me a credit on my CC. I don't know if it had anything to do with taxes or declared value which I put down as $10. I think it took about 3 weeks to get there.

The option that I use shipping from the U.S. to Canada is: USPS to a store on the other side of the border, and drive down to pick it up. Of course, I am only 40 minutes from the Pigeon River border crossing, so this is an option that works well for me.

Shipping across the border always has it's downfalls. Brokerage can make the item cost more than if you were to purchase a comparable product here.