O.T..... How dangerous are propane fumes?

m00n

DO you have animals that could not it over? like Cat, Dog, Large RATS?

If so I would say no....

Don't be cheap...buy a real home heater....too many home firs are caused by space heaters...and these type heaters which can tip over when not being watched.....

Good luck

I have not pursed this thread completely so if I am repeating anothers info r sorry....

Moon one thing you have to be careful with when using unventilated heating systems and fuels like Propane or Kerosene is carbon monoxide build up. Typically it (CO) will hover about 6 to 8 inches off of your floor since it is heavier than air for all intents and purposes but I can build up. I lived in Japan for about 7 ½ years and we had to heat with unventilated Kerosene. None of the older dwellings over there are insulated. And that is a good thing with that type of heating systems as it does allow for some gas exchange. If you keep a window cracked you should be OK.

A guy goes skydiving and jumps out the airplane. He pulls his main chute and it doesn't open - just streamers. He cuts it loose and pulls his emergency chute. It too fails.

About this time he sees a guy rising up towards him. So he says to the guy, "Hey - you know anything about parachutes?"

The guy answers back, "No. Do you know anything about propane stoves?"

9.gif

Tom

Moon, DON"T DO IT! I've read entire thread and have had expereinces with this type of heat. To stay warm, first thing to do is 'tighten' up the space. Then if you use a heater of this type, you will get a killer headache similar to the readers camping experience. Not recommended.

What I use for auxiliary heat and for my shop are those little roll-around electric heaters that look like small radiators. The electricity runs a small heating element like a water heater, the thermal oil in the heater circulates and the fins give off event, gentle SAFE heat. You can put a kleenex on top of the unit, crank it on HIGH and NO FIRE. Also for HT use, these units have no fan to make noise and give off not the slightest fume. Not the most efficient, but the most safe units around. Remember that they have a good mass of heat, so even when the thermostat switches off, you don't lose heat output immediately like with most electric or fuel-driven heaters.

Good luck and good listening.

Michael

Sure you can go with an electric heater or a vented propane home heater and take the wuss way out, I say

INSTALL 150 WPC OF OTL AMPS PER CHANNEL AND YOU WILL BE PLENTY WARM, WHILE YOU ARE LISTENING TO SOME GREAT SOUNDS 3.gif3.gif9.gif

Seriously, only use nonvented heaters in a well vented space, the CO will sneek up and bite you on the back side when you are least expecting it.

m00n: The type of propane burner you show in the photo is to be used for heating open areas with lots of ventilation to the outdoors. If used in an enclosed area the carbon monoxide levels will be quite high and may lead to asphyxiation. I suggest that if you insist using that device, or any propane heater for that matter, invest in a plug-in carbon monoxide detector.

Those heaters are sold by the thousands here in Minnesota and Wisconsin. People use em in fish-houses all winter long. You literally can't pull into Walmart/Target/Mills parking lot without seeing 10 or 20 pickups with 5 gallon pails in the back with ice fishing poles sticking up and one or two of these heaters. I have two myself, and use them in portable fish-houses. Yes, you hear a story or two every winter about how someone had a tightly sealed fish-house and was using one of these, fell asleep, the oxygen level dropped from being consumed by the heater and the carbon monoxide level rose from the exhaust, next thing you know he's not waking up again. They aren't designed for a tightly sealed room, but for small areas, say 6x8 or so, fish house size, that get a lot of air exchange due to opening and closing doors, windows or leaks in the walls. Any of you that visit the archatectural forum are aware of how much leakage can occur through a small opening. Imagine if the opening were large enough to cause a noticable draft in such a small room. I, personally, feel these units are safe if used as they are intended.

That being said, they just ain't what you're looking for. They heat the objects in the room, not the air itself. Unless your room is incredibly small, like an average walk in closet size, it just ain't gonna cut the mustard. Sure, if you sat one 2 feet in front of you, you'd stay warm, but they are also pretty noisy, hard to describe the noise, but believe me, on high, you can hear one roaring away from 10-15 feet. Not exactly condusive to listening or watching movies.

p.s. That's a 30 lb tank, not a 5 gallon one.

Yes, it's true people volunteer in vast numbers to do something they shouldn't do. Just look how many people have used a match to check a gas line for leaks. There's not too many of them around any more......go figure.

The Mr. Heater Buddy is the only portable propane heater I have found thus far that is actually rated safe enough to be use in tents and indoors. The heater has a ceramic cataylist that is supposed to burn propane more completely, thereby eliminating the carbon monoxide. It also has an oxygen sensor that shuts the thing off if the oxygen level is too low and there is a tip-over switch. The heater's design allows it to be set beside a wall without danger and it comes in two sizes. One is about $85 and the other about $120. I use the smaller one in my tent for deer hunting and it works just fine. The heaters are made to run one either the small screw-in canisters, oryou can buy two different size hoses and hook it up to a 20 pound canister or larger if you want. I use a 12-foot hose and a 20 pound propane tank. The thing will run that way for 100 hours on low.

I agreee, there are much better heaters out there than the sunflowers, the Mr Heater Buddy being one of the best that I've seen. I like the low oxygen shut-off, it should probably be mandatory on all of these type heaters.

Still doesn't get Mr Moon any warmer. 15.gif Maybe he needs to investigate movies that would warm the Misses; I've had "whoppie" in the snow before, just once, after a bit the cold doesn't much matter. 6.gif

When I worked in the R.V. industry, the only safe heater to install without venting was a catalitic heater. It did not BURN propane but rather it was a chemical reaction to the metals in the heating "pad" You might be able to find one at an R.V. supplier near you. I have forgot the brand name of the units we sold but they did put out a lot of heat. I would still locate the tank outside though, nothing like an LP leak to spoil your day14.gif