Stupid question about my Cornwalls...

synthfreek

I just decided to rope caulk my Cornwall's squawkers and noticed something strange. I was examining my Type B xovers when I noticed that the negative(black) wire was attached to the positive(there's a red dab of paint on the side it's connected to AND the actual push-in terminal is painted red) post on the squawker. I followed the black wire back to the xover and it did indeed connect to the negative terminal there. I opened up my other speaker and everything seemed normal. Red to red and black to "blank". I just refuse to believe I wouldn't have noticed an out-of-phase mid after this long. They ARE supposed to be the same aren't they. PLEASE respond asap cuz I'm not screwing the backs back on until I hear from someone.

Yes, they are supposed to be the same. Someone must have hooked it up wrong.

Some people do play around with putting one woofer out of phase to change the sound of the system, but I doubt that you'd ever hear the difference with one of the squawkers out of phase.

Let us know if you hear a difference with the rope caulking.

Greg

I would look at the red (+) and re hook it up. Hate to say it, but accidents happen, especially if the + is to the - on the x over as well. Fix it. Turn it up slow and let your ears be the judge. I think it is just a human mistake?

Imagine how good your Corns will sound now! You would have to laugh at yourself and at Klipsch, but hopefully appreciate them even more now!

The guy I bought these from was the original owner of these 1979 models and he NEVER opened them. They had to have been like this since the factory! I took the backs off when I first got them but just to take a quick peek. I switched the wires and will take a listen in just a few minutes.

Oh God, don't keep us waiting! This is killing me. The awkward part is that you obviously do an a/b comparison as it takes too long. I'm with you. Hard to believe they would get it wrong at factory. Count which terminals you are using, maybe they hooked up alright, but red 'dot' is on wrong terminal?? Just a thought.

I'm doing bunch of mods to my Corns this winter. Let me know how rope caulk sounds to you. Did you entirely wrap them like the K400 photo recently posted?

Michael