Best Holiday Movie

Amy

We had an iron bridge near where I grew up and I was dared to put my tongue on the darn thing one cold nasty day. I did and it stuck but not so bad we had to call the fire department. Scared the heck out of me for a few seconds though.

Kids are back form school and I think tonight is the night for Home Alone. Instead of just our two, I think we have 8 coming over. The holidays are here!9.gif

I think "It's a Wonderful Life" has definitely taken the lead as all time best Holiday Movie of the Klipsch Forum. Who has NEVER seen this masterpiece?

Indy, I'm not sure that this movie has ever been colorized. If it has it was heresy (no Klipsch pun intended).

Michael

Yeah, I heard that someone forgot to renew the copyright.

As a result, it got played very, very often because no fees were owned. The overplaying was more as result of greed than artistic appreciation.

Someone got the idea that a colorized version would be more acceptable and thus that got done. This version would be art under the copyright law and thus protected itself -- though not interfering with the black and white, then in the public domain.

(The colorized version is not bad, but like The Twilight Zone, IAWL lives best in a black and white world. Consider one George Bailey consigned to the dustbin of Bedford Falls, a back water town on a river whose only redemption is a fall . . into . . . Mommy, make him stop. Slap. Okay, I got carried away. Sorry.)

Then the copyright on the original was renewed in time to save it. And the colorized version would be an infringement on the black and white.

So we're back to the original.

Gil

I absolutely agree with many of the sentiments here that "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol" are great classics. And I also agree that many of the others mentioned here are a great watch too.

However, I came across a little gem that has a great twist that I would HIGHLY recommend you guys rent/buy. It's called "Mary Christmas". And no, I didn't mispell "merry". My local vido store has it and it's in the 5 buck bin at Wally World. Not saying it's better than others mentioned, just a very good story with a great ending.

Tom

• Moderators

I saw The Ref over the weekend....very funny, in a dark, disfunctional holiday family sort of way. Not a huge Dennis Leary fan, but he was good in this. Not so "in your face."

Good "alternative" holiday movie.