Too perfect?

maxg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well at least this thread makes a nice change from SET Vs PP!

Now if CD's and SACD's had a run off area - where they made that dub dub dub sound that wakes me up when I have been listening into the early hours I am sure it would be better.

As for the PRaT discussion:

1. We already covered that in another thread Paul - and it did not gain much interest.

2. We dont have to (big word coming up) Anthropomorphise a TT for it to have PRaT. A TT either has PRaT or it doesnt. The question is not how a TT achieves PRaT but rather why some don't. Why is it that a given turntable will play a piece of music and get your foot tapping whilst another will not - even with the same everything else (arm, cartridge, phono stage etc. etc.)

As it happens I do not think my own TT is all that good in this area. Classical music plays wonderfully but anything with a beat seems subdued somehow and very slightly slow.

The problem is not the speed of rotation of the platter - I have checked that many times. I have a sneaking suspicion however that if I increased the speed from 33.3 to 33.7 or something the problem might well solve itself - at the expense, no doubt of other forms of music.

I have heard that some TT manufacturers deliberately run their TT's slightly fast - could be for that reason.

Also, more confusingly, the problem appears worse with the EL34 tubes that I currently run than it did when I was experimenting with 6550's.

And as for the timing issues:

TT's may or may not produced a warbled tone when asked to play a continuous tone - I dont know - I have never tried it. I imagine that would be as a result of either power supply variations or stretching in the band that connects motor to TT. If the latter is the case does anyone happen to know if direct drive TT's suffer this problem less?

I also know that CD timing problems exist and are called Jitter. Many people - including Mark Deneen have explained this one to me many times - and I still aint got it.

Finally - the whole error correction system for CD has me somewhat foxed. I am not sure why you need it - errors on CD should be very small - I seem to remember something like 1 in, 10 to the power 12, bits. Cant help wondering what negative effects on the sound this error correction casues.

Anyone ever tried running a CD without it?

Max:

I'm already on the late side for work, but I wanted to put down for the record that my earlier response to this was not really directed to anyone in particular. It had to do with what seemed to be the increasingly defensive tone of contributions concerning the differences between vinyl and digital.

I went through a period about a year ago, where I got out my old but still in near-mint-condition Technics (not the best TT in the world, but it works well!), and was honestly pleasantly surprised and reminded of how good a clean record can sound! Pops and ticks drive me crazy, but I still think that good vinyl can sound more 3-dimensional and holographic than average CDs. I even had a middle school student who once told me how great he thought records were. This was about 4 years ago, and he told me he spent the weekend listening to his dad's 'very good' stereo system. I remember what he said: "You know, Mr. Mandaville? I think CDs sound flat, like a piece of cardboard, but records sound kind of like the 2-pt. perspective drawing we just did (this was one of my lessons). Records sound like there is space in the music!"

What an amazing description from a 7th grader!

CDs seem to be getting better and better all the time, but as Wolfram, you, and a couple of others have indicated, it might be nice to one day have both. I just have to figure out how to get my TT up and out of the way of 4 wagging dog tails.

Erik

well put Mr. Mandaville and excellent perspective from your student. Please remember class, this is youngster with clear hearing, no reason to prefer one over the other (presumably no $$$$ invested yet), and probably not huge experiences with either. I like it!

Sorry about missing the/sarcasm back there, guess I look brilliant in my response, huh?

Can't we all just get along? How bout some positive advice?

On the TT side, I'd like some advice on modern cartridges to buy. Just have a couple of old Technics SL1700 Direct Drive units. Always liked Stanton 681EEE, think it was, with the little 1g weighted ball/brush out front to kill static and even the rumble from slight warps. Anyone?

Michael

----------------

On 11/30/2004 4:27:03 PM paulparrot wrote:

I knew a guy who loved Coca-Cola and hated Pepsi. He heard about taste tests and thought anyone who couldn't tell the difference had to be an idiot. As you may have guessed, he took a taste test and, wouldn't you know it, he couldn't tell which was which by a number better than chance. He also got very emotional about it, practically to tears, but what could he do except hope that after a while people would forget what a donkey he had made of himself.

There've also been tests on cigarette smokers who are adamant about liking only one particular brand, but it turns out they also can't tell what cigarette they're smoking when they can't see it.

A lot of people are adamant that they can hear the superiority of some subtle thing, as long as they know what it is, over something else, provided they can see what it is, too.

Nevertheless, I don't know why anyone would have to choose absolutely whether to have LPs or CDs. It's not that tough to have both.

----------------

yeah dude, it's like i've got crack in this pile and heroin in this pile. They're both really pretty white crystals, and I'm so F#@$&$ I can hardly tell the difference. Guess I'll take a big hit of each and MO(*$)#(@!*&FU*#_!#$& OOOHHHNOOOO.....

I own HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of CDs. I listen to CDs almost every day. My CD player cost me more than my amps, preamp and Cornwalls all together (BAT VK-D5 tube CD player).

But tell you what--records sound better to me. I have not heard SACD in my system but I see very little reason to make the jump due to the almost total lack of software for what I listen to.

----------------

On 12/1/2004 8:08:22 AM Allan Songer wrote:

I own HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of CDs. I listen to CDs almost every day. My CD player cost me more than my amps, preamp and Cornwalls all together (BAT VK-D5 tube CD player).

But tell you what--records sound better to me. I have not heard SACD in my system but I see very little reason to make the jump due to the almost total lack of software for what I listen to.

----------------

Assuming you are talking about Jazz I think you might be surprised to discover that there are some 566 titles that I found at this site - Jazz titles that is - no idea if they are your cup of tea though:

http://www.sa-cd.net/titles/0/0/date/100/1

Hardly a competitor to vinyl I know - but probably better than you thought!!

----------------

On 12/1/2004 8:08:22 AM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

I'm not sure if you are aware of the telarc jazz SACD selections...... here is the jazz artist list from the telarc website - all have SACD selections available on the telarc label...

http://www.telarc.com/Jazz/artists.asp?mscssid=SM01S3BNGHCQ8JM0SRN1NSWBWJB08NU9

A

Monty Alexander

Geri Allen

B

Count Basie Orchestra

Louie Bellson

Cheryl Bentyne

Bluezeum

Ray Brown

Dave Brubeck

Jeanie Bryson

C

Michel Camilo

Freddy Cole

George Coleman

Hank Crawford

D

Tony Darren

Jeremy Davenport

Al Di Meola

The Dizzy Gillespie Alumni All-Star Big Band

G

Erroll Garner

Dizzy Gillespie

Stephane Grappelli

Benny Green

Al Grey

H

Jim Hall

Ed Hamilton

Lionel Hampton

Slide Hampton

Jon Hendricks

Hiromi

J

Ahmad Jamal

K

Geoffrey Keezer

Kristin Korb

Mark Kramer

L

La Vienta

Ivan Lins

Jacques Loussier

M

Kevin Mahogany

Manchester Craftsmen's Guild

The Manhattan Transfer

Jimmy McGriff

Metalwood

Jason Miles

Marcus Miller

Liza Minnelli

James Moody

Frank Morgan

Gerry Mulligan

P

Joe Pass

Oscar Peterson

Pieces of a Dream

Courtney Pine

John Pizzarelli

Andre Previn

R

Ernest Ranglin

Steve Reid

Thom Rotella

Vanessa Rubin

Hilton Ruiz

S

Saxophone Summit

John Serry

George Shearing

Bobby Short

Janis Siegel

Spyro Gyra

Tierney Sutton

T

Mel Torme

Travelin' Light

Steve Turre

McCoy Tyner

V

Roseanna Vitro

W

Joe Williams

Nancy Wilson

and if you are into blues - here is their list of blues artist on SACD....

http://www.telarc.com/blues/artists.asp?mscssid=SM01S3BNGHCQ8JM0SRN1NSWBWJB08NU9

B

Tab Benoit

Lady Bianca

Eric Bibb

Rory Block

Junior Brown

C

Tommy Castro

Deborah Coleman

James Cotton

E

Ronnie Earl

Tinsley Ellis

Terry Evans

G

Marty Grebb

H

Hoodoo Kings

J

Luther "Guitar Junior" Johnson

Lloyd Jones

K

Eddie Kirkland

L

Sam Lay

Robert Lockwood Jr.

M

Bob Margolin

Mighty Sam McClain

Memphis Horns

Muddy Waters Tribute Band

Maria Muldaur

Charlie Musselwhite

N

Kenny Neal

P

Pinetop Perkins

John Primer

S

Son Seals

T

Otis Taylor

Jimmy Thackery

Troy Turner

W

Joe Louis Walker

Junior Wells

I read an interview several years ago with the chief of the Philips CD program. He said the entire time they were developing the Compact Disc they assumed they were working on a replacement for the CASSETTE TAPE! They never in a million years thought they were devolping a product that would replace the LP because they KNEW that the CD had some pretty serious limitations when compared with the LP. What they failed to grasp is the 99% of the music buying public listens to their music on CRAP systems . . .

Regarding PRaT, especially in regard to what Tim said, someone can get into the music and tap his foot to a boombox, or a cheap clock radio CD player from China like Allan uses. Does the boombox or clock radio then have PRaT? Two people can listen to the same audiophile system at the same time in the same room, and one is moved, the other is not. Does the system have PRaT or not? Does it have 50% PRaT? Or is PRaT essentially meaningless when it comes to describing equipment, and it really refers to the emotional involvement of the individual listener? My main complaint about PRaT is the completely misleading terminology involved. Pace, rhythm, and timing are conductor/musician qualities, not the equipment's. It'd be better to talk about emotional involvement, breath of life, transparency of the playback equipment, etc., than to muddy the waters by redefining what the words pace, rhythm, and timing mean.

Yes, Max, if you sped up your turntable, your foot would tap a little faster. So does that mean the turntable would have more PRaT?

It's fairly obvious that one's personal emotional connection to his favorite music also extends backwards to the delivery system of this music. For numerous reasons, some people are bothered more by the flaws of one medium as opposed to another. If you like the music enough, though, it will come through no matter what, even to the extreme case of Allan's $39 player.

I have a lot more LPs than CDs or SACDs, and I'm happy playing any of them.

Thanks Mark,

I almost missed your reply.

Do hard disks have something similar then - to CD error correction - or are they better made and therefore dont need it?

If the latter is true - would a better made CD player therefore not need error correction.

Sorry for the digital storage 101 questions.

----------------

On 12/1/2004 10:08:32 AM paulparrot wrote:

Regarding PRaT, especially in regard to what Tim said, someone can get into the music and tap his foot to a boombox, or a cheap clock radio CD player from China like Allan uses. Does the boombox or clock radio then have PRaT? Two people can listen to the same audiophile system at the same time in the same room, and one is moved, the other is not. Does the system have PRaT or not? Does it have 50% PRaT? Or is PRaT essentially meaningless when it comes to describing equipment, and it really refers to the emotional involvement of the individual listener? My main complaint about PRaT is the completely misleading terminology involved. Pace, rhythm, and timing are conductor/musician qualities, not the equipment's. It'd be better to talk about emotional involvement, breath of life, transparency of the playback equipment, etc., than to muddy the waters by redefining what the words pace, rhythm, and timing mean.

Yes, Max, if you sped up your turntable, your foot would tap a little faster. So does that mean the turntable would have more PRaT?

It's fairly obvious that one's personal emotional connection to his favorite music also extends backwards to the delivery system of this music. For numerous reasons, some people are bothered more by the flaws of one medium as opposed to another. If you like the music enough, though, it will come through no matter what, even to the extreme case of Allan's $39 player.

I have a lot more LPs than CDs or SACDs, and I'm happy playing any of them.

----------------

If my foot does not tap at all now - and it does when the TT is speeded up a little then yes - I guess it would have more PRaT.

Can we decide what equipment we are talking about? - I thought we were covering PRaT as it applied to TT's and not as it applied to boomboxes and the like.

I agree that the source of PRaT is the music (conductor/musician qualities as you put it) but what we are talking about here is the ability of the equipment (in this case a TT) to convey exactly that. Some do it better than others IME.

I still dont know why this one irritates you so much.

For example Linn turntables are supposed to be very good at PRaT, whilst some high mass designs are not considered as good. I do not know why this should be, but it is a very common report amongst reviewers.

Max,

In case Mark doesn't get back to you, yes, the Solomon-Reed algorithms are used on computer hard drives too.

There are many many many thousands of "errors" that occur in reading a CD. You could theoretically have 3/4 of a million on one CD and still be within spec. But these are not "errors" that result in, say, the wrong note being played, or the wrong word being sung. And they are made proper on the fly and are undetectable to the human brain.

Human qualities are sometimes assigned to players, and thus someone will claim his disc with fewer errors sounds better when played because the CD player "doesn't have to work as hard" fixing them. That's silly talk.

PRaT: I personally wouldn't use the term at all. But I've seen it used to describe just about anything, including patch cords and power cords. If all that is really meant is that the equipment in question resolves better, why not say that it resolves better, instead of making up new audio buzzwords that are not accurately describing the observed phenomenon.

Steve,

Dont knock mno till you have sampled it on a decent Turntble. I wont go into long audiophile speak volmes over the joys - just get yourself in front of a TT front ended system and try it - you might be surprised!!!

Much of my favorite listening is to mono recordings.

I have done that a few times. IT is easy for me as I have a dual mono Pre-amp with separate left right volume conrols.

It is just a pain dragging the speaker into the middle of the room. Next time I build a speaker I am gonna take a leaf out of B&W's book and put the damn things on wheels!!

If I dont bother to move the speaker it generally sounds better with 2 speakers than either one on its own.

Also - a friend who listenes to many mono recordings tells me that when I get a new TT I should get one with 2 arms and run a mono cartrdige on one of them. Apparently it makes a big difference.

Course if I were going to do that then I may as well go the whole hog and get a player that does 78's as well - which will mean a new phono stage too.

On the other hand - what a PITA - it sounds fine to me through 2 speakers via the Shelter.

My $39 Chinese CD player (or so Parrot the Poodle claims):

VK-D5medium.jpg

If you stuff this Chinese $39 CD player (which is made in the USA and costs $5000) with some nice old British tubes it just might be the best sounding CD player you have ever heard!!! LPs still sound better to me, but since buying this $39 Chinese CD player I have enjoyed Compact Discs quite a lot and quite often---nearly every day!!!

I can't reccomend this $39 Chinese CD player highly enough!!