Too perfect?

maxg

I knew a guy who loved Coca-Cola and hated Pepsi. He heard about taste tests and thought anyone who couldn't tell the difference had to be an idiot. As you may have guessed, he took a taste test and, wouldn't you know it, he couldn't tell which was which by a number better than chance. He also got very emotional about it, practically to tears, but what could he do except hope that after a while people would forget what a donkey he had made of himself.

There've also been tests on cigarette smokers who are adamant about liking only one particular brand, but it turns out they also can't tell what cigarette they're smoking when they can't see it.

A lot of people are adamant that they can hear the superiority of some subtle thing, as long as they know what it is, over something else, provided they can see what it is, too.

Nevertheless, I don't know why anyone would have to choose absolutely whether to have LPs or CDs. It's not that tough to have both.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In talking vinyl, it's known that if you play the same song 3 or 4 times in a row - right after each other, no other time in between - there is more wear on the grooves.

No reason has ever been given that I know of. I have always wondered if in that repitive playing there is heating of the grooves.

Just a thought that's been on my mind for a while.

dodger

There are some things that are indisputable facts, for example, that the speed of a CD is true while the speed of an LP is not. All that needs to be done to demonstrate this is to have a recording of a steady tone, and play it on CD versus LP. The tone on the LP will waver.

But then along comes the mystical "Pace, Rhythm, and Timing" brigade who think the turntable senses the pace, rhythm, and timing of the musicians better, and can get them swingin' automatically somehow, I guess by magic. Weird that with these magical turntables with PRaT that they never seem to make a mistake and get the band's rhythm all off. Exactly what kind of magical parts are in these record players anyway, that they can do this? Is it added to a turntable by a spell, or is it engineered in?

----------------

On 11/30/2004 4:40:10 PM paulparrot wrote:

There are some things that are indisputable facts, for example, that the speed of a CD is true while the speed of an LP is not. All that needs to be done to demonstrate this is to have a recording of a steady tone, and play it on CD versus LP. The tone on the LP will waver. ......

----------------

you can't talk about a steady tone paul!!!...... don't you know that we're discussing MUSIC here????

or wait...... then someone will tell you that you haven't spent enough money on your vinyl setup because their's happens to play that steady tone perfectly!!!

off>(/sarcasm off)

2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/30/2004 4:40:10 PM paulparrot wrote:

There are some things that are indisputable facts, for example, that the speed of a CD is true while the speed of an LP is not. All that needs to be done to demonstrate this is to have a recording of a steady tone, and play it on CD versus LP. The tone on the LP will waver.

But then along comes the mystical "Pace, Rhythm, and Timing" brigade who think the turntable senses the pace, rhythm, and timing of the musicians better, and can get them swingin' automatically somehow, I guess by magic. Weird that with these magical turntables with PRaT that they never seem to make a mistake and get the band's rhythm all off. Exactly what kind of magical parts are in these record players anyway, that they can do this? Is it added to a turntable by a spell, or is it engineered in?

----------------

Paul, I am in agreement with you here buddy, I love my digital. Tim, has an attitude, along with guy. I havr no room for vinyl in my hime, but, I did try with a very respectable rega P3, with upgrades. These vinyl zealots are a unique bunch2.gif I am trying, buying, selling, returning digital at record pace, and these Vinyl guys are making a mockery out of my endeavors, and mission. It is truely a shame12.gif

I would judge that better than not spending enough money on your speakers to hear the flaws inherent in SACD and DVDA.9.gif

This thread is an interesting example of the flaws in humans. Just what is it that grates digital proponents so much they feel the need to bash analog? Or vice versa? To be fair, many of the posts haven't been bashes but honest attempts to explain a particular opinion; well done to those folks. I enjoyed the feelings I inferred from your enjoyment of your particular choice.

I choose both. Depends on my mood and the music I am interested in enjoying. In the end does it matter whether it is digital or analog, real or imagined? The whole argument of "true to the source" is a waste of time.

Well I cant say I have ever taken the tone test. I am glad however that MM and Paul have proved to me that I dont actually prefer vinyl over SACD - it is a huge relief!

This Bach Violin Concerto I am listening to now - pah - damn mint condition audiophile recordings on vinyl - what was I thinking? This isnt music - I have just been fooling myself all these years.

Now if I can just crowbar myself out of this chair remove this Licorice Pizza and put on a proper digital recording all will be well again.

Any if my ears try to tell me they dont like the new sound I will immediately point them to the steady tone test. Lets see the little buggers wriggle out of that one!

Sorry boys - the idea was to explain to me why I prefer the sound of vinyl over my new SACD player - not the other way around.

Win,

I never heard that one - the play it three or four times on the trot and you ruin the vinyl. If it is true I would gess heat to be the cause same as you.

I think I favour "old wives tale" however. If it is heat then I guess the length of the track would also play a part in how much damage you would do.

What sounds good to one...may not sound good to another....

I mean...you can measure sound etc etc etc...

but can one measure what are brains translates the sound into?

I mean...does peanut butter taste the same to you as to me?

Be happy there are several choices for music and sound reporduction...

Good news and bad Paul,

I think I have convinced my ears - but my hand didn't buy it so now there is the Dvorak Cello playing on vinyl.

During playback I will see if I can slip my socks off without my hands noticing and persuade my feet to help out.

I just dunno who is going to break it to my soul though - this (mono recording) is so goddammedgood it is frightening.

REminds me - I must find a Jacqueline Du Pre Elgar Cello - Friday I will have another hunt.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/30/2004 5:33:45 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Who really gives a flying f*ck?

Enjoy your records, Max. Let the others enjoy their CDs.

Jeeeeeesus!

----------------

Allan, well said2.gif9.gif

...and enjoy Caruso's voice recorded in....1902.....or Friedrich Schorr in 1935...Giovanni Martinelli in 1940...or Maria Callas in 1953 etc. LP or silver disc? Play those artists' performances and the question becomes almost academic (as usual IMHO) 9.gif .

Wolfram

To me there's something immeasurable about listening to analog (and no Gary, not a skinny little piece of tape traveling at less then 2 ips2.gif ). Scoff if you will, try to play devil's advocate, I don't really care. For those out there that are paying attention with genuine interest in others' opinions, I'll put it like this;

You know the feeling you get when you're driving down the road, and spring is just starting to green things up? It's really too cold to have the windows down, but they're down anyway. The color green is making itself apparent for the first time in months. The combination of elements makes you reach for the volume knob and drive just a little faster, though you're not in ahurry to get anywhere, in fact, you make a couple wrong turns down back roads, only cause it feels so good.

OK, now measure that. Is it just the right temperature? The exact color of green? The precise volume of Bob Marley in the car? I don't know, and frankly, I'm not about to ruin the whole thing by trying to measure exactly why it elicits such feelings, and why some other day it doesn't. Who knows, you may get off on driving through snow covered hills. Sometimes I do, too.

Well, there's something immeasurable about music reproduced in analog for some of us. Something to said for Gestalt.

Take your agendas elsewhere and let us enjoy the music. Myself, I'm going to go listen to the radio.