Best sub UNDER $1000

Seismic_Pulse

If you look hard enough you might be able to find an RSW-12 at around $1000. If not then you could go for an RSW-10. Or you could rather go for an SVS 16-46PC-plus for $875 or a PB12-ISD/2 for $899. Depends what you're gonna use the sub mainly for and your preference. I think an SVS would give you the best bang for the buck. Good Luck!

Well,

I would use this sub along with my ksw-15 in my main system or simply replace my ksw-15. I use my ksw for movies and music as I would my new addition.

To be honest I'm not sure technically what I would say I am looking for, some say my current sub is "boomy", I suppose I would agree with that. I like strong bass but maybe something to complement my current system or to add in a little better response.

I'm not sure that what I just said makes any sense to anyone else but it is the best way for me to describe it.

A side note would be: I love bass, I probably couldn't ever get enough.

I'm selling this Subwoofer which i've got as a gift last week.

It is brand new, never been used, In original box.

I only opened the box to check contents.

This Sub is sold for 1,000$+tax at the stores.

I'm asking about 700-800$+shipping.

The price is negotiable.

I live in the bay area in case you want to pick it up.

----------------

On 12/5/2004 6:22:49 PM yaniva1 wrote:

I'm selling this Subwoofer which i've got as a gift last week.

It is brand new, never been used, In original box.

I only opened the box to check contents.

This Sub is sold for 1,000$+tax at the stores.

I'm asking about 700-800$+shipping.

The price is negotiable.

I live in the bay area in case you want to pick it up.

----------------

does this magical 800 dollar subwoofer have a name?

If you examine the shake value ratings versus the price in the excellent article http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html (Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001 by Brian Weatherhead), you quickly see that, as the Stones rock classic says, you cant always get what you want.

Weatherheads shake value shows how much subwoofer output you get at 20Hz. Twenty Hertz is the bottom of the human audible, but not sensory, frequency range, at loud sound pressure levels. His shake values start at the 70dB level at 20Hz. Each additional 10dB (doubling of SPL) of output at 20Hz is another shake value point.

The lowly KSW-15 sub is a modest 1.7 shake points. The mighty Klipsch RSW-15 is 2.4, the grand daddy Velodyne HGS-18 is 3.1, while the SVS CS-Ultra tubes are incredible 3.9 shake points. The $28,000 Krell Master Reference subwoofer delivers an amazing 120dB at 20Hz, so its shake value is a fantastic 6 points.

Dividing the sub price by its shake value points however, reveals quite an different story. Here, you see the other verse of the song; if you try sometimes, you get want you need. The subs retail price, divided by Weatherheads shake value, shows the price/performance ratio for subwoofers. It shows how much 20Hz bang you get for your buck.

The lowly KSW-15 sub is a bargain $440 for each shake point. You get a lot of output, at 20Hz - though most of its output is higher, 60Hz - for relatively less money than any other sub in this comparison. This upper output however intrudes on the deep end of many big ole horns: the Cornwalls and the classic Klipsch corner Khorns.

The SVS CS-Ultra tubes are the next best price/performers, at $588 per point of performance. A glance at the frequency response chart shows that you get more low bass output from these models than any other sub compared here. These big bottom-dwellers are particularly well suited to big ole horns. Their low end does NOT intrude on the middle-bass.

The mighty Klipsch RSW-15 is third: $750 for their price/shake value ratio. Their chart shows that you get more punchy mid-bass than the others.

While the Klipsch KSW is the most ECONOMICAL value in his sample, with the most 20Hz bang measured for the buck, the mighty RSW is the ONLY sub with high output in BOTH the 100Hz upper bass and the 30Hz deep bass regions.

Though the grand daddy Velodyne HGS-18 is $866 for each 10dB of output at 20Hz, it is cheap compared to the ridiculous expansive and yet awesome Krell monster Reference chest. The Velodynes chart shows that it is a very good performer across a wide frequency.

2.gif

Thanks for your input Meuge and Colin

Any other opinions on the svs subs mentioned earlier by Omega3002 ( SVS 16-46PC-plus PB12-ISD/2 ) & the PB12+/2 by pinipig523

Meuge answered questions 3 & 4

Can anyone answer questions 1 & 2 and are there any other opinions for 3 & 4?

As posted above:

1. What do you guys think I could get for my ksw-15?

2. Would a rsw-10 be a much better sub for my system?

3. Would the amount of bass it produces be more than my ksw-15 and

sound better?

4. If I were to keep my ksw would the two subs sound well together?

4a. is there a sub that would complement my system with the ksw?

Seismic_Pulse,

I have a SVS PC-Plus 20-39 for sale. It's a great sub. The only reason that I am selling it is that I just bought a more expensive SVS. I am the original owner. It's in like new condition. It's been in a smoke-free, child-free environment. I asking $675 plus shipping for it. Let me know if you are interested.

Mark

Iv had my svs for a week.And for music it's nice and tight and blends well with my sf3's and just for kicks i put it to my old kg 2.5's and with little tweaking it sounded well BUT!!!!!!movies it blows the ksw 15 away Iv never had a sub that you could fill the effects with out hearing it (tuned to 16 hrz spiderman 2 dococt climbing)guns shots have great realism I wish I could let you here it. Look for a friend near you with svs and im not trying to say its the best you can get but for the price you will not go wrong

hard for Me to explain I would say that svs blows it away in movies and just better(and not by much) for music its not booming and mono sounding like my sub i had before the ksw15 (sound dynamics 15 250 rms)and I like a a range of dif styles of music and if you are a Metallica fan you will get a feeling the Lars Ulrich was made to play the drums with svs lol