Tung-Sol 6550 re-issue

Harry

Just finish AB testing The Tung-sol 6550 with a group of friends, if anybody are interested the following are the result

Test equipment:

Image 6550 (a China made power amp 2x50watt, modify with Jesen capacitor inplace of solent)

tube used

Mullard CV4004 x 2

Mullard Cv4003 x 2

6550 x 4

pre-amp: Conrad Johnson PV10al

Tube used CV4003 x 2

CD: copland

Speakers: Forte

Tested Tube:

Tung-sol 6550 re-issue

EH 6550

SED 6550

SED KT88

The result:

The EH sound thin in compair with the other

SED 6550 has more bass and mid are full

SED KT88 has Full bass but less on the high end

The Tung-sol 6550 are the best, Sound very musical , the top and bottom are very mush extended and mid are warm

I will consider thess the best current production 6550 in the market.

Mark,

The 6550 tubes he is talking about here are the Russian made reissue. New Sensor purchased the rights to many old tube manufacturers names. Some of the tubes they are releasing are actual copies and other are not. The 6550's are actual copies of the original Tungsol 6550. They also released a copy of the Mullard EL34 that is nothing more then a Svetlana EL34 with a new badge. I'll be picking up a set of these Tungsols when the price goes down and comparing them to the originals. But IMHO they will have a hard time comparing the the Valve Art KT88 because it sounds very much like the original Tungsol 6550 and cost a good measure less then this reissue.

Craig

We have not the chance to test it with NOS Tung-sol but we did test it with NOS GE Jan 6550A and Tung-sol are just a little bit below GE but considering that we only have less than 50 hours on the new Tung-sol and the GE are will run in already.

One more point to consider is that we have problem to pust the GE to higher bias point as require by some current Amp, the best we can do is set it at .5V but amp like ARC will require set must higher (.68V).

The re-issue are Russian made and the price are so what 50% more than other Russian tube. I purchase mine from TubeDepot and they offer different Bias point for selection.

Colin,

2A3 is all about price....

I love the sovtek 2A3, IMHO for low buck 2A3 they cannot be beaten...

I think the other solid choice is NOS black plate RCA from the late 40's early 50's more expensive but they sound great!...

There are a lot of boutique tubes out there which I am sure sound great but I find myself happy with my Sovteks...

regards, tony