spiderman 2

Rsoxfan

I'm not a really big fan of home theater only because it's really hard if not impossible to recreate the sound you get in the theaters.But if one movie has made me a fan of home theater it is Spiderman 2.The sound I got out of the movie was the best ive ever heard on my system...Just my opinion

I have a modern stadium seating mega plex for movies near me...but I'm not convinced it sounds better than my home theater...with good subs I think HT does better in the impact department and with HT I find better sourround...as far as big screen goes with projection and the correct seating distance I'm struggling to determine what the real theater has to offer except getting out of the house...not to mention all the obvious benefits of HT like pause, comfy couch, no distractions, DVD extras like LOTRs is said to be much better on extended edition, etc.

I saw Spiderman 2 for the first time last night at home...never went to theater....

Oh yeah....the clear benefit of going to the theater is seeing the movies earlier and not waiting for DVD release.

Better in theaters, hah! You need to upgrade for sure, my area theaters don't even come close. Spiderman2 gave my 4 Khorn's and Velodyne subs a workout for sure it sounded tremendous! Very well mixed DVD, I should have got the Superbit one with the DTS soundtrack it would have been even better.

I wish it was DD EX though so my Cornwalls could play too!

----------------

On 12/8/2004 7:24:24 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I wish it was DD EX though so my Cornwalls could play too!

----------------

hey, frz

i know you have a t163

go into the advanced set up menu and select "on" in the dd/ex section, instead of "auto". do this also with the dts and then the 7.1 will play in dd mode as long as its a 5.1dd signal

in dts mode the 7.1 works all the time no matter what the signal

and sounds great.

ive got spidy2 in now and its in dd/ex!!

jay

I must have a higher level operating system on mine (2.03) as that feature is no longer listed in the menu. The only "auto" on/off feature on the menu is for DTS-ES. My unit has the upgrade in it for the DPL IIx, and Enhanced Bass and several extended stereo options as well.

I can upsample to DD-EX by simply toggling the surround mode button on the remote. Strangely enough though it seems like the overall signal level drops a little by doing so. I am just going to buy the Superbit version that has the DTS soundtrack since I prefer DTS anyhow.

Thanks for the tip though!

----------------

On 12/8/2004 5:31:49 PM gcoker wrote:

The only reason to see a movie in the theaters is to see

it now and not wait. With a slightly above average system

it will blow away ANY theater sound. Just remember in a theater

there is no sweet spot like at your home.

----------------

gcoker: Although I am inclined to agree with you, there is an exception to your statement. Although, I too feel my home theater provides a superior experience as compare with most of the commercial theaters in my vicinity, I would not agree with the word "ANY".

I've mentioned this particular theater numerous times in previous posts and I must bring it up here as the exception:

The Henry Ford IMAX Theater in Dearborn, Michigan (10 minutes from home) is what I consider to be the ultimate theater experience, whether we consider commercial theaters, home theaters or both. The perfection in how it is constructed, added to the level of technology and power they've provided is far beyond any other movie house I have seen. For certain, there must be even more impressive theaters out there, of which I am unaware, but for me, the Henry Ford IMAX is my current benchmark relative to what is "the best of theaters". Nearly any place you sit within this theater sounds like you are in the "sweet spot". It's that well designed!

About Henry Ford IMAX: http://www.hfmgv.org/imax/about.asp

• 2 weeks later...

An average Klipsch system in an average room will outdo 90% of theaters in my opinion.

Klipsch Horn technology clearly outdoes most out of the box HT stuff. Don't fall for the tiny Bose stuff etc. That stuff unless it is in a perfect room will send you back to the theater to get an immersive experience.

I have rarely been back to the movies since upgrading my home theater to Klipsch equipment.