interest VS understanding

oscarsear

Clearly their are a number of forum members who are accomplished techies...and many more, such as myself, who are not so capable. There's a tendency to assume that everyone can grasp the range of levels of tweeking being advanced in these posts. Also, there are a number of on-going tweeks and other projects that get updated but not summarily reviewed rendering those out of the loop as un-informed bystanders.

I have a great interest in many of these subjects but find myself unable to comprehend the vernacular...and guys I'm an engineer (albeit an old one).

Is it just a learning curve? Could someone recommend a "techy" primer?

It would be very helpful if y'all could just take the time to provide a less technical summary of what your doing, why your doing it and what you aim to accomplish. A little bit of a project road map for us neophyte,audio dummies. Oh, those on-going projects need an overview or they might just as well be communicated exclusively between the individuals involved.

Thanks 1.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Whenever I post, I attempt (maybe sometimes not very successfully) to reply at the same level as the original post. Remember, no one really has a dumb question. Go ahead and ask what something means. This is the way to learn.

And please remember that, sometimes, the discussion is already at a level that is complex enough that a full background is beyond the scope of the discussion. Sorta like finding yourself sitting in a machine design class without the benefit of having already taken statics and dynamics - a hopeless situation.

If I were in your shoes, I would concentrate on understanding the more basic posts with occasional reads of the more technical posts. As you build knowledge in the basic stuff, you are better able to understand the more complex stuff.

Our hobby can be INCREDIBLY complex whenever discussed on an engineering level. If you don't have a background in it right now it might take YEARS to obtain that background (It has taken me many years to get there and I still learn stuff everyday). A lot of posters on this forum have the benefit of many, many years of being immersed in the science of audio. Do not be put off by the level at which these guys discuss things!

Just remember the course or courses that busted your a** in engineering school and treat those discussions the same way - keep plugging away and you will win in the end.

By the way - what kind of engineer? I am a mechanical engineer.

Sorry, had to go and buy the Christmas tree. O.K. civil engineering but worked in biomedical: strange combination but true.

Granted...tis the burden of the un-intiated to make up ground. That's the drift of the inquiry. I'm suggesting that it would be much simpler/quicker if those "in the know" would be so kind as to offer a more explanation along with their topics. Maybe I'm asking too much but it don't hurt to ask now do it.

One of my mentors who taught me technical writing and publication said that "any illustration or table needs to stand alone". He meant that the nature/structure of the table/graph, etc... plus the nominal description allowed needed to provide a good enough explanation so that the reader did not need to refer back to the text to interpret the information. It worked wonderfully, especially when used for presentations later.

Tech topics presented here would be much more comprehensible if they added a short description or, if you will, an abstract about the project. Done once it could patch into any subsequent follow-ups and so on...

If the goal is to share and communicate then those of us thirsting to learn would be better served by not having to dig for the information.

I agree that asking questions hopefully while the thread is current is the way to go.

Some here (whose names shall not be revealed pending ongoing investigations) can get "into" explaining the background of technical issues in very concise and easily understood terms, as that seems to be their gift. Others of us are less able to be as clear, let alone be correct, or even stick to the subject at hand.

Lastly, there is always room for healthy scepticism, as acceptably provable facts may be short supply in said discussions regardless of the subject matter. Take it with a grain of salt, in other words...

DM2.gif

Oscar, You've got a very nicely tweaked out system yourself!3.gif

Oscar's system(from profile):

"2 channel..2004 Khorns: Cary SLI-80 integrated A/B push-pull triode amp: Jolida 100A CD as a transport: Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC: Balanced Power A/C conditioner: RS Cables silver interconnects and cabling

Audio/Visual..Magnavox SR 8000 5/1: Denon 2900 DVD: Fujitsu 50" Plasma: RF-7, RC-7, RS-7, RSW-15

Vintage 2 channel...JBL 4311s (1977), Adcom GFA-535II pre: Adcom GTP-400 amp: Sony CDP-CX53 CD"

But as you know there is always knowledge to be gleaned hereabouts. Some topics do get esoteric at times. Ask or challange, that is how we learn.1.gif

My education was in the technical end. Sometimes you engineers go over my head.14.gif

Rick

Welcome.

Sometimes IMHO some of us write in what WE consider easily understood terms and language as we have been doing certain things for quite a while.

The true genius can explain things in a way that is understood by the listener and is not causing them to feel talked down to.

Some of us do have a tendency to write long posts. I know one case in which the Posters first letter is "d" and the last letter is "r," kind of like a baseball team but really after a car.

If you do not feel comfortable asking a question that will be Posted on the Forum, click on the Poster's name and send a PM or email. But, chances are if YOU are questioning, there may be others.

The dumbest question is the one not asked.

dodger

Welcome to the nut house. Good company.

There may well be a bit of a learning curve.

Tweeking is particularly difficult subject. I, myself, do not believe in many of them. E.g. "wire" and fine tuning of amps. None the less, people have been kind to me and have not thrown rotten vegitables. A shortcoming of the BBS which is much to my benefit.

Many of us, though, are interested in improving by gross equipment updates and tweeking systems by any frugal means. The difficulty is that real measurements requires expensive test equipment and scientific rigor. A tall order.

Now, you may read someone say that they've applied Mortite to their K-500s and found an immediate increase in damping and inner voices. Huh? Mortite has inner voices? Smile.

On more scientific issues, I've been posting technical articles in "Technical Questions" for several months. The heading is usually "Article by PWK . . ." Click on the attachment.

You may like them.

Gil

----------------

On 12/9/2004 3:48:44 PM oscarsear wrote:

One of my mentors who taught me technical writing and publication said that "any illustration or table needs to stand alone". He meant that the nature/structure of the table/graph, etc... plus the nominal description allowed needed to provide a good enough explanation so that the reader did not need to refer back to the text to interpret the information.

----------------

Amen to that!

But it takes time and some iterations to come with such illustrations/tables. Or it takes a really gifted "scientific communicator".