Yet another Hong Kong Tube Amp Bargain?

Daddy Dee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5737100849&rd=1&tc=photo

A few weeks ago I was looking at a little PCB tube kit to build on a piece of plywood, and it was $159!

I don't know how these people produce these for the price. Admittedly, no one can guess the quality and what would actually show up when it is delivered. Service, if needed would be a longshot for sure. Still I find myself surprised to look at the price.

With the price gathered parts, and recently bought parts I'm into this about 70 bucks.

The knobs are gone because I ditched the VC and tone controls.

CLC PS, triode strapped, no feedback with russian .047 uF teflon caps. Ampex OPT's underneath.

(I need to go back to pentode connection with feedback.)

This pic is the best it will ever look.

Cornwalls%20and%20amp%20004.jpg

post-6643-13819259844138_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 12/11/2004 10:33:08 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Mike,

What are you into here. Is this all home brew? Looks interesting.

----------------

It's homebrew single-ended triode strapped EL-84 amp from scrounged parts.

The Chassis is a vintage DBX subharmonic synthesizer.

The output transformers are Ampex EL-84 SE units from a vintage tape recorder. They do have screen taps.

The power supply transformer is from a RCA SE EL-84 amp.

The little 1 henrie choke in the PS is hoarded from a RCA television.

The tone controls and VC were RCA, but they got ditched, too much hassle with noise.

The tube sockets and the shield are Eico and Heathkit. I hoarded the ceramic rectifier socket from somewhere...

The pretty PS multi-cap is from a bunch I scored from a Ham/Garage sale for cheap.

That pretty one started to leak, I now have a NOS Sprague in the spot.

Yeah, yeah, I know old NOS 'lytics are pretty much worthless, but I formed this one for a few days watching it.

It now seems to be getting more quiet as it settles in with the amp. Could live some time, maybe not, who knows.... I get almost 2 millivolts noise on the output, could be lower.

(But considering everything is jammed underneath it, and my layout, it's not too bad.....) If I could only find some nice big mic oil caps cheap.....

Russian teflon couplng caps, better than Sprague 716P, IMO.

The orange drops sounded ragged in comparision.

The PS Cap can is isolated from the chassis plate, (not easy) a 10 awg copper buss wire grounds from the can for the PS cap. CT for the PS xformer is connected there.

Then pretty much all grounds go to the buss. The buss is grounded to the plate at the input jacks.

Triode strapped 6BQ5 without feedback isn't too bad I suppose, realizing maybe a watt with OPT's with 5k or so primary impedance.

The amp does have a accentuated midrange that the teflon caps seemed to help, but not eliminate.

But it does have gobs of gain, and rather good damping.

It does wear on you after awhile, but it's not that bad either.

I have plenty of gain, so I'll connect pentode with a screen supply and try some plate to plate feedback.

That may smooth out the bandwidth.

I need a real scope........

Pecker? You must mean Rudolph.

post-6643-13819259844828_thumb.jpg

Lordy, that looked like Woody the Woodpecker. Hmm maybe a bit of a Rorshach thing there...

Anyhoo... I admire your tenacity with the project. I bet you're a PITA to argue with! Something about taking what you have and making what you can... God forbid your wife and mine compare notes!