Need DVD Player That Doesn't Skip

MBM135

Hey everyone,

I am not a big-time movie enthusiast and don't need recommendations for the worlds best players. I watch maybe 6-7 movies a month. I would like a unit that will play scratched disks. We rent from Netflix.com and my $85 Sony DVD player has trouble playing disks unless they are in 100% pristine condition.

Any suggestions in the under $250 range--can a high quality DVD player be found at this price? I like Sony just for remote control compatibility--but am flexible.

Thanks!

Mike

• Like 1

My $450 Sony DVP-5500S (purchased a few years ago) got to the point that it wouldn't play some of the newer DVD's... Don't know if it was having problems dealing with the amount of data on the newer discs or what, but about 50% of the time it wouldn't even load them. So it was relegated to CD only duties in the bedroom.

Went out and bought the Pioneer DV-563A (think it's DV-567A now) DVD/DVD-A/SACD combo player for $139 and haven't looked back. It hasn't had any problems recognizing DVD's, or anything else for that matter.

See, on a CD, a red laser has a great deal more margin for error on its read track, because the data isn't nearly as dense. On a DVD, with the much denser data path, there is no room for error. Tolerable variances in laser alignment on a CD player become catastrophic failures on a DVD player.

That's why the average lifespan of an inexpensive DVD player is about two years.

----------------

On 12/14/2004 4:42:38 AM myriadcorp wrote:

Go buy the Philipps 642 Player from walmart for $68. It will play everything your sony wont. I have a sony and it plays nothing but dvd movies. Nothing extra like dvd mp3's, divx, svcd, or other good things that you can burn.

----------------

And if you need Region Free, there is a very good "hack" that can make this player region free in seconds.

Chinoloco