DVI VS COMPONENT VIDEO

toomanyspeakers

They are very close, however you have to make sure your DVI input is

rated at 1080i as some are only 720p. There is a large difference between the 720p and 1080i , the 720p being a bit choppy like film "judder". You may want to check the "COW HDV" forum or "SONY VEGAS" Forum as the heavy hitters kind of reside there.

JJK

----------------

On 12/14/2004 7:37:05 PM JJKIZAK wrote:

They are very close, however you have to make sure your DVI input is

rated at 1080i as some are only 720p. There is a large difference between the 720p and 1080i , the 720p being a bit choppy like film "judder". You may want to check the "COW HDV" forum or "SONY VEGAS" Forum as the heavy hitters kind of reside there.

JJK

----------------

Unless your progressive scan player uses bad algorythms, 720p should actually look better than 1080i, if only because the motion should be smoother, and artifact-free. So essentially you should be getting the opposite effect.

I would say DVI should be a far superior technology, which allows you to preserve the digital signal throughout the path, without ever converting it to analog until the display itself.

I use the DVI of the Samsung DVD player straight to my Samsung DLP HDTV. It looks almost or "just as" good as, or extreemly hard to tell any difference to the HD channels, which is the point. If your DVD player "up converts it" to the highest 1080i (?) you get an incredible picture.

Digital to digital = great results, picture wise.

I am very pleased with mine.

YMMV

Dan:

To add to above wisdom, when I compare DVI to Component signal I find the DVI images to be sharper but less colorful or a bit washed out in comparison to the same material viewed using the Component output. It is one man's opinion but I believe this condition is due to DVI signal viewed in pure digital format such as DLP projectors, one is seeing the master source material as close as possible. The component signal is converted from digital original to analog then through the cable (with all the analog cable variables) into analog input of the display that converts back to digital before throwing the image. Thus, it's not as pure as the DVI.

Currently I have Samsung DVD-HD841 DVD player and Bravo D2 both with DVI and component outputs driving an Infocus 7200 DLP front projector with 110" Stewart Filmscreens's Firehawk. I use Toshiba HDTV/Direct TV tuner but it only has 1081i component output. I should be getting an LG HDTV tuner + hardisk recorder with DVI output with 720p like all the other boys in this forum soon.

As far as the peformance difference between 1081i vs 720p, I believe it depends on your display's native horizontal resolution. I do like the 1081i but the image is not as good when fast moving scenes are displayed and from my viewing distance, I hardly miss the increased lines when viewing native 720P image - my default setting.

Ki

I just today got a HDMI cable (online from dvigear $40, forget getting jobbed for $120 by Monster) to hook my new Sony 975 player to my new 55" Sony RLCD.

Simply watching movies I could see no differnce between HDMI (set on either 720P or 1080I) and component. However a difference shows on resolution test patterns, the HDMI is certainly passing better fine resolution.

Both hookups show VERY low noise, an outcome of the basic excellence of both player and TV.

Looking at plain solid fields there is no evidence at all of the so-called "macroblocking" which is said to affect the Denon and Panasonic upscalers. Nor is there any evidance of the slight green depression the 975 is said to show with some TVs when running HDMI.

I am pleased.

If you have a analog display device (like a CRT rear projection HDTV) then using DVI will probably not get you anything and it might even look worse than component or RGB. If you have a digital display device (like a DLP or LCD) then using DVI might very well yield a better picture.