eBay beauties .

Painful Reality

Wow! Right down the road from me! You think my wife would go for it (line of credit...) because I'd save on shipping?

Alternately, If someone buys them, they could have me store them (!) and accurately report how they sound with any music they wish...

What will these go for?

----------------

On 12/15/2004 4:24:15 PM fini wrote:

What will these go for?

----------------

Not a clue but a little higher than 150 USD a pair...

The preamps should get a little less though.

But I'have never seen such beautiful Brook amps.

The design of the Brook 12A is really interesting. This was a cost no object amp in its time with choke loaded drivers.

----------------

On 12/15/2004 6:34:59 PM NOSValves wrote:

One thing anyone thinking of buying these Brooks amps should be aware of is that they do not match each other under the chassis.

----------------

Yeah, I noticed that too. What do you make of those coupled coupling caps on the one Brook?

I assume you mean $1500 a pair?

Do you admire these only from a design standpoint or have you listened to these before as well?

Curious what they sound like compared to a current 2A3 deisgn?

No Disc

----------------

On 12/15/2004 4:35:26 PM Painful Reality wrote:

----------------

On 12/15/2004 4:24:15 PM fini wrote:

What will these go for?

----------------

Not a clue but a little higher than 150 USD a pair...

The preamps should get a little less though.

But I'have never seen such beautiful Brook amps.

The design of the Brook 12A is really interesting. This was a cost no object amp in its time with choke loaded drivers.

----------------

----------------

On 12/15/2004 8:17:13 PM No Disc wrote:

I assume you mean $1500 a pair?

Do you admire these only from a design standpoint or have you listened to these before as well?

Curious what they sound like compared to a current 2A3 deisgn?

No Disc

----------------

Actualy I was refering to the 150 USD a pair Fini paid for his Dynaco MKIV.

I never heard the Brook but looking at the design, it must be quite good. I like what choke loading the plate of a tube does to the sound of an amp personally.

thanks coda, I have corresponded with kerry before, he is a great guy and very knowledgable about brook amps, he must really be suffering financially if he is selling these babies.

re: the differences between amps, whatever kerry did and whatever small differences there are I am sure the amps function flawlessly and are dead quiet. he is a horn devotee so hiss and hum will be LOW on these amps.

He also raves about the preamps, preferring them to model ones and 7Cs (both of which he knows well). I really wish I had the money for these, they are holy grail setups IMHO.

tony

fini; lost both auction for the pilots I liked, went a little too high for me.

----------------

On 12/16/2004 8:44:09 AM sunnysal wrote:

re: the differences between amps, whatever kerry did and whatever small differences there are I am sure the amps function flawlessly and are dead quiet. he is a horn devotee so hiss and hum will be LOW on these amps.
----------------

I myself could never put up with having such differences in the signal path of a pair of amps. This seller maybe a great guy but he obviously isn't a stickler for details running 2 caps in parallel in the signal path in one amplifier is definitely going to have some effect on the voicing of the amp. Mind you this is no reason not to buy the pair ! I was just letting any potential buyer know that he will need to replace some components to make the amps match each other.

Craig