OH WOW! Just built my first DIY speakers!

kenratboy

Totally getto.

I bought 20 of the 90 cent 4" full range drivers Parts Express had about a month ago.

Yesterday and today, I built v.1.0

Got a 12" wide, 5' long piece of particle board shelf from Home Depot and had them cut in in half (so 2, 12X30" pieces). I then took my 4" hole saw and cut a array of 4 holes on each piece in a:

o

o

o

o

Pattern at the top (only takes up the top half of each board.

They are 8 ohm drivers, 2 sets of 2 wired as so I get 8 ohms (2, 16 ohm pairs bridged to 8 ohms)

Because I don't have the tools, they are open baffels - just a board. This is good because I am using a little 8" Jamo sub (the speakers are probably good down to 120 Hz. or so, not bad, this is a lot of cone area, 8, 4" drivers total)

I propped them up against my stands, aiming up at about 15-degrees.

WOW!!!

Seriously, they sound a lot better than they should be. $8 worth of drivers, $2.50 piece of wood, $1 worth os screws and $.25 worth of wire. About $15 for everything!

They have some mid-bass (not a TON, but they are fine)

Mids and highs are very good. They seriously sound like they have a tweeter (speakers are rated to 15KHz.)

They go LOUD, not Klipschorn with a 1000 watt McIntosh amp loud, but well above what most people listen to music at.

Bad things:

No bass, but a proper box might fix this (I have a dirty, dirty idea for 6 front facing, 3 rear facing drivers in a sealed box)

Not at all sensetive (but my POS Sony receiver has plenty of power, so it is fine)

Lacks the last bit of detail real speakers have, but danm, they are REALLY good, and remember the price!!!

I'll post some pics later.

----------------

On 12/16/2004 4:06:32 PM kenratboy wrote:

Seriously, they sound a lot better than they should be. $8 worth of drivers, $2.50 piece of wood, $1 worth os screws and $.25 worth of wire. About $15 for everything!

----------------

And how much does Bose want for those 901s? 6.gif

----------------

On 12/16/2004 4:12:19 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 12/16/2004 4:06:32 PM kenratboy wrote:

----------------

And how much does Bose want for those 901s?
6.gif

----------------

Certainly not as much as Bose - but good ol' Dr. Amar is a BILLIONAIRE. Thats with a B.

----------------

On 12/16/2004 5:03:29 PM m00n wrote:

U gonna close them into a cabinent?
----------------

Not this.

The purpose of this was to see if they even sounded good! They do. I don't have any interest in making a normal speaker with a woofer and tweeter, I want to play with this sort of stuff. I am also thinking about making a large line array of some sort. Something fun and different.

Also, having the open back throws some sound to the wall and opens up the soundstage. Not good audio math/physics, but it works ;)

I have 20 of these drivers and I plan on making something with 9 drivers per box (3 sets of 3 drivers gives me 8 ohms and a TON of cone area)

no

The baffle acts as a pressure boundary between the sound in front of and behind the driver. Without a baffle, the out of phase sound coming from the back cancels all output from the front of the driver. Note that this doesn't happen at higher frequencies because the driver itself is large enough to act as the barrier.

Right now, I've got me a 15" JBL pro driver sitting on the floor plugged into my amp. I've got an 80Hz tone blasting away, but I can barely hear it. My amp is probably putting out 150watts and the driver has a sensitivity of 97dB. I am confident that the driver is playing the tone accurately because I can see the driver moving and I can hear it when I put my ear down close to it. I'm sure that once I get it into a cabinet (another type of pressure boundary) then I will be hearing tons of bass.