My New Cornwalls

Pure Corn

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw, I never saw that motion picture. But I'm sure it was Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565...For whatever reason, it seemed this piece was chosen by Hollywood filmakers right from the get-go because of its minor key progression at the toccata's beginning, forming to a low D minor pedal note with single notes added one by one, slowly building a minor chord that sounds sinister and foreboding to the musically challenged (this is a secular show-piece written around 1705 by a young J.S. Bach to show off his compositional and performance techniques, and not meant to scare the bizjeses out of or put the fear of damnation to the listener)!

Sorry for hijacking this thread...carry on with these "new" Cornwalls.1.gif

Cool!10.gif

One of my favorite BWV 565 performances is from "Virgil Fox" (1990 LaserLight Digital, 15 313), digitally recorded live direct-to-disc and on digital tape in August 1977 at Garden Grove Community Church (now the Crystal Cathedral) in Garden Grove, CA. This live recording (also known as the very first digital tape recording made in the United States) is absolutely stunning through my Cornwalls; they're more than capable of capturing the live event in your listening room IMO. Sure, a subwoofer to capture the true 16Hz of low CCCC of the bass pedal's 32' Contra Bassoon would benefit the total experience (to hear and feel), but the Cornwall's 15" woofers do the organ justice all the same.

Gives me chills every time I listen to it...5.gif

Indy;

That is only because you are visuallizing her Kralling acrross you kitchen floor, barking like a puppy, covered in ....

-------------------------------------

Does she have to be covered?

I say a can a whipped cream will go a long way! Besides, it's a lot more fun cleaning it up!

I am def game!! Who knows, maybe she can sing to me too... like Marilyn Monroe below!

http://www.marilynmonroe.com/community/audio/real/wannabe.rm

----------------

On 12/19/2004 11:08:47 AM jt1stcav wrote:

Cool!
10.gif

One of my favorite BWV 565 performances is from "Virgil Fox" (1990 LaserLight Digital, 15 313), digitally recorded live direct-to-disc and on digital tape in August 1977 at Garden Grove Community Church (now the Crystal Cathedral) in Garden Grove, CA. This live recording (also known as the very first digital tape recording made in the United States) is absolutely stunning through my Cornwalls; they're more than capable of capturing the live event in your listening room IMO. Sure, a subwoofer to capture the true 16Hz of low CCCC of the bass pedal's 32' Contra Bassoon would benefit the total experience (to hear and feel), but the Cornwall's 15" woofers do the organ justice all the same.

Gives me chills every time I listen to it...
5.gif
----------------

Hey, speaking of the Crystal Cathedral, did you hear about this? I was at Disneyland on Friday night with my kids. It is very close to this. I wondered why all the helicopters were flying around as I was leaving at 12AM.

----------------

On 12/19/2004 5:50:39 PM middlecreekguy wrote:

Those are very nice for the price. Congrats.

And I`m assuming you did not have to pay for shipping. I notice both you and the seller live in Arizona.

----------------

NO SHIPPING! This was the clincher. 200 miles round-trip, that's it.

I've been listening every spare minute since noon yesterday; more impressed with each hour.

----------------

On 12/19/2004 8:23:23 PM Pure Corn wrote:

I've been listening every spare minute since noon yesterday; more impressed with each hour.

----------------

I understand that! when I got my first pair of cornwalls I put them in my church to use as a PA system, and I kept going back there each night just to listen to my music collection. That led me to get rid of my Bose 901's and get another pair of Corns for home. Now that a pair of Khorns literally landed in my lap (a 6 mile round trip) I took my other pair of Cornwalls to the church without ever thinking of selling them. Absolutely stunning sound!

You will never regret this purchase. My first pair of Cornwalls was the most satisfying purchase I ever made. I bought them without ever hearing them based on what I read here and the belgium audio site. From the first sound pouring forth I was hooked.

Enjoy!

Forrest

p.s. those are real beauties too!

As a fellow Cornwall owner, may I say welcome! I have one pair and am hoping to get a 2nd after the busy-ness of the holidays is over.

Another album I'd recommend is Eva Cassidy's "Songbird", she has a great voice, well recorded, beautiful music. Some songs are just her and her guitar, others have the band, blues, gospel, folk. Once you hear it you'll be hooked.

-Jon