B o r n 2 r o c k u 's ...new audio center !

Born2RockU

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jtkinney:

I was informed immediately of the Black Belles on EBayfrom many forum members.

Just my luck.. they are 2.5 miles drive from my house.

I want to thank everyone for all the personal emails

from Klipsch forum members, informing me of these Black Belles.

If I hadn't just built this custom Salamander Design A/V Rack focused around my LaScala,

that Erik Mandaville hand delivered,

I would jump on these Black Belles in a heart-beat.

I know it is safe to say that I am incredibly happy w/ my LaScala.

I have just aquired an AK-3 crossover (Thanx TOM) to timbre match my '95 AK-3 K-Horns.

Guess I pulled a "Doh!" Homer Simpson moment...must have been behind on my Forum reading over the holidays. Thanks, Tom! Nice looking rig, Craig!

Best in horns,

triceratops

triceratops:

I do appreciate you thinking about me.

I would jump on those EBay Black Belles in a heart-beat, if i hadn't just built my new rack !!

But, as you may see in the pictures above,

I have committed to the La Scala for a center channel, instead of waiting for a Black Belle.

I had no idea it would ONLY be three weeks until a Black Belle

showed up on EBay....and a close 2 .5 hour drive away !!!

Obviously, I must pass on these Belles,

for I am extremely content w/ my La Scala and new Salamander Design A/V rack !!

Alos, thank you so much for the complement on my rig !

DeanG:

Thank you for the complement.

If you blow up the pictures you will see that the E.Q.'s are set extremely flat.

As you may have noticed, my room is tiled and extremely alive. In my business, we use these expensive DBX E.Q.'s to tune the P.A.'s to the room. The same approach was applied to my listening room ...but, there were only a few frequency area's that needed attention.

I have a complete surround setup...there-fore all the E.Q.'s.

I would love to have some of you PURIST over to my house to have a listen to my rig.

I just don't understand why you guys always mention the E.Q.'s in a joking manner .

1.gif2.gif You obviously haven't a clue why they are used....do ya ? 1.gif2.gif

LOL. Well, not the first time I've been accused of being dense.:)

Looks like a DBX 1215 on top and two 1231's.

I did notice you don't have any carpet in there, so yeah, I figured you were using them to beat back a live room. It was something I didn't realize until I saw your pictures. It also helps me to understand some of your emails better too. However, from what you are saying, it sounds like you are pretty happy with what you're hearing -- so the question I have is why you are asking about attenuation for the Heresy's via the networks? Did putting L-pads on the Klipschorn networks upset the tonal balance between the front and rear?

I understand what EQ's are used for, and what they're supposed to do -- but my experience with them back in the late 70's led me to believe they couldn't tackle every problem, and when they did manage to solve one problem, they usually brought in another. We would flatten things out, and it just sounded "unnatural".

With that live room, I'm guessing it sounds much better at some volumes than others. When you turn it up, you probably have a lot of reflected energy loading that room up. I mean, you can attenuate certain frequencies -- but what do you do about the reverb effect from all the reflections? You need something like a throw down Oriental rug and some nice absorbtion panels next to the Klipschorns. Something directly behind the LaScala would help too. The rug you have to buy, but the panels can built, and made to look very nice if you frame them in wood.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-acoustic-treatment-methods-and-materials-12-2004.html

DeanG:

Yes...I know what you mean by the E.Q.'s can usually be effect at certain volumes.

I love a comfortable 90-100dB listening range...so I E.Q.'d everything accordingly.

The tile you see is the ONLY tile visable in the whole room.

(which is not pictured.)

The rest of the room has a nice rug and 4 leather couches w/ soft pillows on them.

(barely seen in a photo)

The whole back wall has a drawn curtain for NO reflections.

I sit 5 feet from that back wall...which is about 15 feet from the LaScala center.

The room actually sounds incredible to me !

why you are asking about attenuation for the Heresy's via the networks? Did putting L-pads on the

Klipschorn networks upset the tonal balance between the front and rear?

First of all...I only use the REARs for surround movies.

I love 3-way 2 channel !!!

But, I still feel that the Heresy's need attention...

for the squawkers in all the Heresy's are still too dominate, in my opinion.

The tonal balance between the fronts and rears have been corrected to my best ability thru the EQ's.

After all, they are only Heresy's trying to keep up w/ the monster K-Horns

Have you read the review Erik Mandaville has given my system ?

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58071

O.K., cool.

Don't know what the answer for you is with the Heresy II's. I just did a set of those networks, and the taps on the autotransformer aren't adjustable. I suppose you could use BEC's 3636 UT autotransformer, and use the #1 tap which would give 12db of attenuation (as opposed to the 10db of the 3504 stock autotransformer). I think you would then have to reduce the primary cap value from 1.5uF to .81uF. You could parallel a .47 and .33 together. I would have to email John W and Al K to find out if this would work. It would cost you about $40 in parts to do it to one Heresy just to see. Shoot, get Erik over there and just go L-pad crazy.

Erik's reviews are worthless -- he's as bad as I am (everything sounds good:).

....I have had so much trouble posting pics these last few days, that I gave up.

Finally it worked.

Here is a picture of the rear surround area of my room.

Plenty of absorbtion w/ the back-wall curtain ...definitely cuts down on the reflections !!

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=34662&

post-15746-13819260112108_thumb.jpg

OK, fellow Forum members

whom have asked me many times to

sell them my Baldwin "sleeper" tube amp....

...here are two for sale...cheap ! ....and much more powerful !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73371&item=5744475369&rd=1

arfandbark:

Connection on Baldwin Tube Amps...?

Nope, I just keep an eagle eye out for them on EBay.

These EBay amps are still at $ 276 !!!

That is what I paid for one of mine on Audiogon.

If anyone is interested on reading what Erik Mandaville said about my Baldwin,

check out this link !

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58071