B o r n 2 r o c k u 's ...new audio center !

Born2RockU

Daddy Dee:

Yes, that was the Baldwin amp Erik Madaville heard when he came to

my house a few weeks ago. If anyone is interested in reading what ERIK

said about my "rig"...here is the thread.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58071

Thank You again ERIK, for all the kind words and assistance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Craig:

"It actually belonged to Erik Mandaville years ago, so I know it was well cared for."

Just have to make a small correction or addition. We had the La Scala for only about a year before the Klipschorns came up for adoption, but Kevin was the one who really put the work into the LSs. He went as far as having paint matched, did lots of sanding and cleaning, and made all new cable sets from crossovers to the drivers. He also loaned me his SUV to drive the monters to their new homes -- one to Craig Born2s, and the other here for us to borrow.

And then Craig and his wife (very talented engineer!) designed and fabricated a perfectly matched grille with Klipsch grille cloth for the La Scala, and it now matches his black Klipschorns beautifully. The fabric for the grille was also supplied by Kevin, the former La Scala owner.

The only thing I did with the La Scalas was move them upstairs and into the system!

Just wanted to give Kudos to you all, who did all the work on those things.

jdm56:

Thank You for the kind words. The system has exceeded all my expectations...on a daily basis. Every day that magical moment shows up and I just grin and smile knowing that I got to this sonic euphoria, with just a few adjustments w/ timbre matching.

An other Klipsch forum member, marksdad helped me identify what needed attention in my "rig". I used to have a RC-7 Reference series center-channel and never understood what timbe matching would do to my system. After I sold my RC-7 and replaced it with this LaScala, the system came to life !

So,...the obvious thing to do was redesigned the whole look of my equipment setup and focus everything around the La Scala. Obviously having the T.V. above the LaScala was a task.

...which leads me to comment and thank edwinr...

edwinr:

Yes, my new entertainment center is "rock-solid". The T.V. must weigh at least 85 pounds. This is a 36" tube and it is bulky. I instantly loved this Salamander entertainment center design that HAUCK constructed, ...for the reason that a DLP or LCD would fit on the top shelf in the future, ....that is, as soon as the LCD and DLP retail prices start dropping.

Once I elevated the T.V. to this 44" height, the T.V. picture seemed so much larger. I am incredibly satisfied w/ this set-up !

~ I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year wish

...and may all your New Years resolutions come true ! ~

ERIK:

Happy New Year !!!! I pray this years is just as good as 2004 was for me !

...I forgot about your audio-room being upstairs in your house, when it came to moving the LaScala up there. ~ How did you get that La Scala upstairs ???

I know Marie (your beautiful wife) is still recovering from her operation.

How did you do it ? ....don't say, by yourself .

That is nice I was actually looking at audio advisor saw a salamandar rack and thought it would be cheaper to build. Very nice work btw. I was thinking about making my own vibration isolation system for mine but instead I am going to mount a shelf directly to the wall for all my gear. I didn't realize how much vibration my system was getting through the wood floors until I spun some vinyl. I set a record for needle jumping I am sure.....

arfandbark:

That "wall" clock has fallen off that wall many times.

The Klipsch RSW-15 is a "mother", as you may have seen in the pictures above.

That clock is plastic and I laugh every time it hits the ground.

It is an on-going joke between me and my "better-half".

I think we will finally get sick of it hitting the ground, soon enough, then

will retire it to a different part of the house.

Thank you arfandbark (beware of the cat) and seti for the complement on

my new Audio/video center !!!

PICKY:

Thank you for the complement !

I have no problem what-so-ever w/ the tiled floor. The ceiling is 10 feet tall.

PERFECT ambience for my taste. !!

If you would like to read a review that Erik Mandaville did on my system, hit the link below.

He complemented the system and even spoke of the room.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58071

arfandbark:

Yes, it is a Harmon Kardon 330c that I use as a

pre-amp ONLY for my Bang and Olufsen turntable.

I moved the turntable to the position where I had the Baldwin Tube amp,

placed below the top shelve.

{ I had to move the tube amp to the top shelve, because of the heat output. }

By the way, that Harmon Kardon is a great amp for any Klipsch speakers.

I got it on EBay for $32 !!!!

Thanks for noticing !

Attached is a picture of the moved tube amp and the turntable placed in

that tubes original position.

post-15746-13819260107888_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 1/1/2005 10:27:34 PM Born2RockU wrote:

J.4knee:

Are you considering using the
Salamander Design
w/ your future setup ?

----------------

Yes Hauck actually sent me info on them back when he posted his beautiful set up but somehow I deleted the URL. I have a rough idea of what I want but that rough idea is kind of fluid too as it evolves. I have a 52" Mitsubishi DLP to support and a La Scala bass horn will be below the TV and the HF section above it. All will be flanked by La Scala mains and Heresy II front effects. I have Heresy II surrounds on the rear sides of the seating position and need one Heresy II for rear center. I need to have storage for CDs, DVDs, LDs and LPs. I am going to refinish my Mains and side surrounds in oak veneer, and my Center and front effects in Black lacquer. (Although I am toying with doing the front effects in oak veneer as well) When I get it my rear center it will be mounted in my rear wall kind of like a safe. I need to a have a rough frame in done in time for my super bowl party (In HD of course!). I am leaning on going for a sort of 1930sish main street look for the room over all. There is a lot of work to be done and I am not foolish enough to think it is going to be completed any time soon. When I get it done Ill post pics (dont hold your breath though).

On a side not does anyone know of a decent AC-3 to digital audio adapter or even if such a device exists?

J.4knee:

Awesome...sounds like a major design to incorporate,

...since you will probably be adding a shelve above your tv for the HF of the LaScala.

Good luck w/ everything. I can't wait to see it.

Don't forget...to get it right, do it right the first time and don't rush it.

~ I can't wait to see the pics...please email me when you post...so i don't miss ! ~

----------------

On 1/4/2005 5:27:50 PM Born2RockU wrote:

arfandbark:

Would you recommend a
H/K 730
over a
tube amp
, since you own a 730 ?
----------------

Born2RockU,

I really like the HK 730 for the money. I'm guessing I paid about the same for this unit as you did for your clock eating cat..

It's an inexpensive way to get "tubelike" sound.

Would it recommend it over a tube amp? Nope.

.....I really like the HK 730 for the money.

I'm guessing I paid about the same for this unit as you did for your clock eating cat..

ARF n Bark :

The "ticking" cat was a gift from my better half !

So , how much $$$ did ya get your HK 730 for ?

After being a Klipsch forum member since August 2004...

I finally figured how to paste pictures, instead of just attachments.

Talk about slow learner !!!!

I take the "cake" for that one.

I would like to thank minn_male42 , for he made it truly easy to learn.

----------------

On 1/5/2005 2:46:51 PM Born2RockU wrote:

I really like the HK 730 for the money.

I'm guessing I paid about the same for this unit as you did for your clock eating cat..

ARF n Bark :

The "
ticking
" cat was a
gift
from my
better half
!

So , how much $$$ did ya get your HK 730 for ?
----------------

$81.00 + shipping, Born2RockU..