Manchurian Candidate

Tom Adams

If you guys haven't ever seen the original then you should. One of my all-time faves. The remake was pretty good but Angela Lansbury is pure evil and won several awards for her role. Most likely Frank Sinatra's high point as an actor. This movie must've made some heads roll in 1962.

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 1/4/2005 7:40:00 PM synthfreek wrote:

If you guys haven't ever seen the original then you should. One of my all-time faves. The remake was pretty good but Angela Lansbury is pure evil and won several awards for her role. Most likely Frank Sinatra's high point as an actor. This movie must've made some heads roll in 1962.

----------------

The 1962 original had a huge impact as I recall (I was 12) and was one of the most chilling movies I remember from my childhood. The MC premise is plausible but "the Blob" and "the Fly" are not!

This is a rare case where both the original and the remake are excellent movies. I own both. In the remake's commentary, everyone involved had the greatest respect for the 1962 movie and were wisely careful to do nothing to diminish it. I thought Denzel's and Meryl's performances reached the bar Frank and Angela set.

Incidentally, I live in Korea now and the whole population seems to be brainwashed....

I loved the original....(seen it for $10 at best buys etc.... what a deal)

but am worried about this new version....would hate for it to ruin the original....but thanks sarge...for putting some of my fears to rest...

Finally watched it last night....

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....It was good....but the original story is so much better....IMO

Yeah this one was color...why original is BW...but I dunno...I was watching this one and trying not to compare...but it was hard not to when certain points of story changed....

SPOILER ON

I mean the implanted chip things....argggg....I prefered the old fashioned cold war brain washing....

Also the Manchurian company....what kinda crap is that....what good is a spy type thriller with out some other country involved...but in this you have the big evil corporation...

Why did they have to update these things...kinda ruined it for me....

SPOILER OFF

All in all very entertaining...Meryl streep did a good job...but not as well as Angela Lansbury in original.....

Liev was pretty good as Raymond...

Denzel was good...but nothing compared to Frank Sinatra....

Also did ya notice Sinatra's Daughter was the producer