Running Khorn woofer without coil?

jorjen

Did I read somewhere, in a past thread maybe, someone suggesting to run the K33 in a Khorn without a coil letting it simply cutoff on its own? Or, did I imagine this or simply misunderstand? I could swear I read that someone was recommending this for an increase in performance.

It was probably me.

Now you're going to ask where I read it. Grr. It was from something by PWK. Probably a Dope from Hope. He said it was good for a couple of dB in the response curve. I'll look around the collection at the office and post it.

- - - -

I most likely made the comment in the midst of a thread about crossovers, naturally. There was/is much debate over the relative merits of the various models. A, AA, AKx.

Apparently PWK favored the A and its very elementry single order (6 dB) roll off in the signal to all three horns. There are minimum number of components. With his also favored removal of the single inductor in the bass, it became (becomes) even more simple.

The parts count becomes:

Woofer: None.

Mid: A 13 uF cap and the autotransformer.

Tweeter: a 2 uF cap.

= = = =

It seems to me that PWK's personal experience and recommendations should count for something in the debate. The only fair reading is that he preferred just the above three components. Wow.

- - - -

Naturally there were more sophisticated designs used by him. Some of it was for protection. Maybe the most recent AK-4 give a better response in the numbers by tweeking things.

And I like ALK's for Al. K's scheme of making the mid adjustable. Also, maybe an A with the mid knocked down another 3 dB is a good idea too.

Gil

I had rewired the AA's in my 1982 Khorns to make them into type A. I also tried bypassing the inductor for the woofer and frankly felt the sound became a little tubby. I have left the networks configured as per type A but reintroduced the inductor for the woofer.

I just went through my "Dope from Hope" Gil and could not find it. But, I am missing a few. You could be onto something though, I think that may be where I read it. I was thinking of trying it, but I do not think I will go through the hassle without some positive feedback from someone that has actually tried it.