Is Home Theater Necessary???

SilverSport

I am confused right now, possibly just feelin' the burn of my ebay rip but...my "old" system was a Nakamichi TA/2A 55wpc X 2 stereo...hooked up to Klipsch Heresys and KG2s...(1 or the other, I had never listened with both at once) listening to movies like "the matrix" was nice with decent punch but I thought, Why not more???

I am currently auditioning Outlaw Audio 950 Processor with a 7100 100wpc X 7...currently only listening in stereo as I am waiting to completly re-arrange everything and go 5.1...

Listening in 2 channel, through the Heresys which will remain the mains I have thought..."This doesn't sound significantly better than my older Nak."

Since I can still return under the 30day no questions asked guarantee, I plan to only listen to music in 2 channel and movies and what not in 5.1

I guess I am asking:

Will I enjoy movies a LOT more with 5.1 over "stereo" even if I upped the mains to Cornwalls?

I already know the music isn't $2,000 better...should I just stick with "2.0" for movies or keep what I have started and get going on my 5.1?

Any help you can give me would be REALLY appreciated...

Thanks,

Bill

5.1 is much better for movies. The .1 really matters too; a sub is essential. But I don't really know that you need such expensive separates to get there. A much cheaper receiver would likely get you 90% there and you can better put the difference on those Cornwalls.

I tend to put my money on speakers before amplification myself. There's more impact on sound, and you'll want to keep them longer than electronics too.

My two cents. I know that others swear by separates, but with Heresy's?

Hey Bill. If I were you I'd do nothing before I thought back to the point in time that you first thought about upgrading. What did/do YOU want, a home theatre setup or a 2-channel setup?

In my opinion ( I have one like everyone else) if you want a home theatre setup I would either sell the Heresy's, or keep them for separate 2-channel use, and buy whatever speakers you can audition/choose for home theatre use.

The problem you face on your current path is finding speakers that will give you a satisfying matching sound when used for HT. Should you buy Cornwalls or any other quasi-Heritage speaker you are going to have more problems finding a matching center. In that situation you could either use another Cornwall for center or if you use the Heresy's for L/R front then another Heresy. The matching center for many of the mid size quasi-Heritage speakers is the Academy, another hard to find speaker and one that is in high demand, in other words > costly, if you can find one. Also, figure placement problems you might have in your room with the required matching speakers.

You can buy new or used. That's up to you and your budget. Anytime you buy used buy local, or from someone you can trust if you can't see/hear them first. Personally, I'm not going to buy anything again that I can't see and hear before buying.

What about the surround speakers. What matching speakers can you use that will sound like the intended fronts that you will use? Will you have room for the required surrounds? How about the required matching center? These are questions only you/you room can answer.

Right now I have a pair of Chorus II's, a pair of Chorus I's, and 3 KT-LCR's. They would probably make a decent HT setup, I've never tried them all together though. I personally prefer my KSP HT setup for both HT use and for listening to older CD's in 2-channel and the newer multi-channel recordings. But that's me. You should decide using your ears what you prefer.

You'll need a good subwoofer. And investigate the sound of the amplification that you will use for compatibility with the speakers you intend to buy. Amps sound different. Ask here what others use with like speakers when you decide what speakers you are going to use.

To get where you want to go you have to have direction. You need to know what you want before you spend money, else you'll end up with lots more invested that necessary.

I sincerely hope this helps you. If there is anything I can do to help you just ask. And good luck!

Keith

This thread makes it sound a little like an either/or situation (2 channel music or 5.1 channel movies). Personally, I really enjoy using one system for both. Voice matched Klipsch speakers all the way around offer excellent surround or multi-channel opportunities for music listening as well as great audio for movies. With most good AV Recievers (or surround processers) you can always choose just 2 channels if you want... although I find myself doing this less and less.

It takes a little more care (or variety of options) when selecting your electronics but offers an opportunity to have your cake and eat it too.

If I was starting out with a pair of Heresy's, I'd give serious consideration to the suggestion of getting 3 more plus a sub-woofer... then put my time/effort into finding a decent receiver to meet my needs (and upgrade the electronics over time).

I ran a Klipsch Forte 2 channel set up for a long time. The biggest change and improvement for movies comes with the center channel. Don't skimp on this! The Center channel takes all of the dialogue out of the left and right speakers and puts it in its own dedicated speaker. The dedicated sub for the LFE signal is nice, but the dedicated dialogue speaker really is what made home theater worth it for me.