Switches to power on/off

Coytee

I put this in this forum because it's not necessarily a HT type question, though I'll have a HT system hooked up also.

I'm starting the thinking process on how I'm going to finish out my vacent basement.

I'm open to any practical ideas

One I just thought of, is there any merit in having the circuit the electronics reside on routed through the wall switch rather than using the devices own power switch?

What I mean is, I think it might be nice to be able to walk into the room and on the wall, have an (extra) bank of light switches that upon switching, will turn the outlets on that control the tv/preamps/amps/subs... you get the idea.

This way, you don't have to go to each location and turn everything on piece by piece, nor use a power strip. Also, upong leaving room, you can just flip flip flip and turn them off.

Any good/bad/indifferent thoughts on the above? My thinking is using up to (thinking as I'm typing now) 5 perhaps 7 circuits for this. Each (2) power amp, subs (2) (if and when I obtain)and a couple other goodies.

I can then teach the wife how to flip the switches rather than her be concerned about how complicated I have everything, though that might be a benefit I'd not thought of 11.gif

Why not plug them all into a 10 outlet line conditioner/surge suppressor and use 1 switch to turn them all on? Geez aren't we complicating things here?

My 3 year old girl can turn on and run the main HT, how hard can it be? It involves turning on the TV, the NAD preamp triggers the Panamax 5300 unit that in turns on all the gear (in sequence), she knows to wait until the amps turn on then turns on the Sat Dish Rcvr. Voilah! Done.

Coytee,

People spend rediculous sums on plugs, cables and outlets in an attempt to get "clean power" to their audio gear. One way that I can think of to ruin that is to put a 99 cent wall switch in the circuit. You are building a room for A/V pleasure and satisfaction. My advice is to run your A/V from one circuit and your lighting and other outlets on another. Do it right, do it once.2.gif

Rick

Problem with this...is most A/V components cannot be left in the on positions.....and when power is disconnected...most do not come back on with power...do this for surge protection I guess....

But unplug something you have while ON and with volume muted.......and then plug it back in 9 times out of ten for new stuff....it will not come back on...

Just get a fancy programmable remote control...and have it so one press turns everything on...you know them ones with the little LCD screen....really expensive ones...

Some interesting comments. One reason I thought about this was so I'd not (potentially) overload some kind of power strip. I just get an uneasy feeling seeing (pre/power/power/cd/dvd/ht/sub/sub/eq?/dbx?/dbx?) perhaps 11 or so things plugged onto same circut or worse, same power strip.

I'd not thought of having to hit the on button after the power is disconnected... that would seem to complicate this issue even more.

coytee!

One thing i would really concider is to have seperate

neutral for each circuit. you really should'nt need more than two 20amp/25 with #10wire and a common ground. if you have to use switch/switches a heavy duty motor rated switch should work.i don't like to turn off my EQPT. 1.gif