Do you own VRD's?

anarchist

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own them but people keep telling me I do!6.gif

Actually, I've heard them and they're fantastic. Also, my MkIIIs were sort of the prototype although the front-end board has been completely changed. I'm told the VRDs sound better then my MkIIIs which is saying a lot. I've haven't had the chance to a/b them in MY system. I've never heard anyone who owns them say anything negative.

I'm not technically proficient enough to give you precise answers, C&S. I believe they are close or equal to the original MkIIIs (the boards that is) while the VRDs have their own signature. Only the original designer can give you that information. I'd just screw it up. 15.gif

Gary,

I know that the VRD has a signature board that was specially designed. But when your MkIIIs were upgraded, did you pay for new driver boards or were the original boards left in place? This would be a big difference in the price of the upgrade. I just wondered if your comparison between your MkIIIs and the VRD was essentially a comparison of the stock board with the VRD driver board, or a comparison of an upgraded board with the VRD driver board. For example, I just upgraded my own MkIIIs and installed upgraded driver boards.

Let me ask this, how many miniature tubes are on your MkIIIs? The stock board had only one, the upgraded boards can have two or more. You should be able to answer that one, (if you see one miniature tube on the driver board stomp down with one of your front legs just one time, if you see two tubes stomp down twice). 1.gif

You might have to spy into one of the holes in the cage if they are installed.

C&S

OK, I see. Looks like your upgrade was to Triode Electronics driver boards, some new caps, and leaving the original bias control system. So your comparison is pretty much a comparison of the VRD boards with the Triode boards.

Now that I think of it, it would not have been much of an upgrade if the original boards were left in, to do so would have been mostly be a repair rather than an upgrade....

C&S

C&S,

The Bias circuit was completely replaced. In fact nothing in that amplifier is original except the chassis and transformers. I believe your using Ned's cap board which equals about 200 or 240uF in the power supply. Gary's Mark III's has 450 Uf in the power supply. Also there were some tweaks I did to the front end board itself (don't ask because I can not remember them now) I had no reason to remember since the board has not been available for over a year now.

Let me know if you need some help I'll give you a jingle.

Craig

Hey where the heck are all the VRD owners around here ??? Oh they're systems sound so good they don't waste time here no more 9.gif2.gif

---------------

Hey where the heck are all the VRD owners around here ??? Oh they're systems sound so good they don't waste time here no more
9.gif2.gif

----------------

Have you no shame Craig?2.gif Craig helped me install the Triode mod in my MK-II's over the phone. As with Gary's the only parts left stock are the transformers and sheet metal, pic in next post. Alot of patience with no benefit to himself. Thanks again Craig.

Switch them in and out with some MC-60's. I can't decide which I like best. The MK'II's are cleaner sounding but the Mac has more warmth. OH the pain. (DR. Taylor in Lost in Space)EDIT:DR.Smith, duh

Hope to get together with some of the members here one of these days and listen to some different gear. The VFD's come to mind. Who wants to get together around Cincinnati? I can host a small get together.

Randy

Sorry it toook me so long to respond to this. I was enjoying my system. 9.gif

----------------

On 1/18/2005 10:59:08 AM Anarchist wrote:

Any buyer's remorse?

Absolutely none what so ever.

Are you willing to sell them?

I have never even considered the thought. Nor would I.

Why? Why not?

They are without a doubt the best sound that I have ever heard at an equivalent price point. When I hear something that equals or exceeds their preformance, I may consider purchasing a second system. Realistically speaking, I do not see that occuring in the very near future.

Detailed responses welcomed and appreciated.

If you or anyone else has any other questions about them, please feel free to email me.

----------------

Randy, Your Marks look marvelous!

I couldn't make up my mind which boards to get for my Mark III project. Finally I decided to go with Tubesforhifi.com boards mainly for the individual bias adjustments. I'm just going to K-ball the trannies and build new chassis for them.

Craig, Do you remember if you upped the coupling cap values?

Rick

Yes I sure have. They are primarily what I listen to them on. Unbelievable jaw dropping sound.

If you're ever anywhere near Burton, MI drop Craig of NOSValves.com an email. I know he'd be more than happy to audition them for you.

Even if you're not close to Burton, it would be worth the drive. You'd surely be glad you had made the trip. Just ask Audio Flynn.