Is it normal?

Jennifer1

Hi

When I listen movies, the voices (from my RC-25) doesn't seem as loud as the special effects, so I have to increase the volume for the voices but when there's a lot of effects, it's too loud so I put the volume down a bit, I do it back and forth..so maybe there's something wrong, or I forgot to do something...?

thanks

I run into that all the time, alot of it is dependent on how the DVD soundtrack was mixed. Even with two centers sometimes the dialogue is weak so I turn it up to compensate and then whammo a special effects scene so I have to scramble for the remote to back it down.

You need to set all your channel levels and distances correctly for the best performance, using an SPL meter and HT set up disc can go along way to correcting the problem or at least making it better.

A number of folks also reported the the RC-25 or RC-35 was kind of hollow sounding not sure if that is an issue for you or not.

when I got my rc-25 it was making a humming noise when I turned the tv on (it sits on my tv) and I din't know a lot about speakers so I went back to the store and they replaced my unit, I got another one. It was doing the same thing so I called Klipsch and they said that my speaker was picking something from the t.v , pretty rare because my tv is not old, 1 year old. They said it was not dangerous for the speaker so it is still doing the noise but we can't hear it when we are not near the speaker.

I didn't listen to the RC-35, but I think the rc-25 sounds muffled a little bit, not as clear as my towers...when I think about it...but I guess it's normal ? How can I know if there is something wrong with the speaker or if it's made that way...?

I found that the E-Z Set did not work very well for me. I used it and listened to som movies and it didn't sound quite right. Using the Avia set up disc and and an SPL meter (Radio Shack) I re-calibrated the system. BIG difference. I would imagine that E-Z Set has your center channel set too low. You can go in manually and bump it a few Db's until you set it up with a meter.

The condition that you are suffering from is actually normal. It is called dynamic range. ( the difference between the softest sound and the loudest ) Sometimes, the dynamic range on a dvd is very wide, with power requirements from 300 milliwatts to 100 watts.

You may increase the level of the center channel in the receiver, this may help to increase the level of the voices. The amount of background noise should also be reduced if this is a possibility, this will help you hear the softer passages.

how many times have you run the EZSET feature? I'd try it one more time just to see if that works..... an SPL meter I believe will do the same sort of procedure as the EZset feature.....you play test tones, measure the signal with SPL and perform the adjustments manually to balance all the speakers.....

Jennifer:

I have the H/K AVR430 - may I kindly suggest you do NOT run the EZset, and go out and buy a Radio Shack SPL meter and do it manually. You will be FAR happier with the results, it is quite easy, and far more reliable. While EZset is a nice idea, it simply is not sensitive or accurate enough.

Popbumper

You may also look in your receiver's settings to see if it has a "night" mode. My HK does. It will slightly suppress the loud passages and you can turn the overall volume up. The difference between the quiet passages and loud passages will not be so drastic.

You may also look in your receiver's settings to see if it has a "night" mode. My HK does. It will slightly suppress the loud passages and you can turn the overall volume up. The difference between the quiet passages and loud passages will not be so drastic.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Agree on the night mode for offensively mastered DVDs.

I adjust mine by ear with no remote.

I need the excersize jumping off the couch.HEHE

Given the INCONSISTENCY of the EZset function (I am not saying it does not work, I just found the manual method to be more reliable/predictable), I would suggest the meter.

Yes, use the test tones from the receiver. Put the meter on "A" weighting, and place it where your ears would be when you are seated. Adjust each channel to get the same dB value; it is BEST to set them all in the 70-80dB range, since "reference" is set in the 80's (though it may be too loud for you to listen to, which is why I suggested 70's).

Finally, bump up your center channel a few dB; this is a common practice, and OFTEN helps "deficient" soundtracks to be more balanced. Besides, the most important info comes from the center, and nothing else should appreciably mask it.

One final note; the RS meter, while available in two flavors, is more difficult to find in the analog version. I bought a digital meter as a result, and while some have suggested the analog is "better", the digital does just fine for this purpose. Enjoy!

Popbumper