I need a pair of 300Bs

3dzapper

I've had a brand new Auricap fail too. Anything made by man can fail at any time. It's called "mean average time between failure" to engineers and beancounters.

I can't count the number of PIO condensers I had to change out DOA back when cars used points. Tune up a car, won't start? Put the old condenser back in VROOM!!! Yell at the NAPA guy!14.gif

Rick

Thanx for the offer fini.1.gif I have it under control with new film and foil caps. I'm OK if I want to listen to single channel stereo.2.gif

Luckily I have a few amps in for back-up. This one will go on the injured reserve list and be doubtfull for the Stupor Bowl.

Rick

"Does anybody have a line on a high quality pair like Sophia or TJ Meshplates, etc. for not a lot of money? Or should I just get a set of EH Gold Grids for $120?"

I priced a pair of TJ 2.5 volt 300B solid plates a couple months back, a good $200 or better for a pair.

The gold pin ceramic mesh plate TJ 2A3's run about $400 a pair. The 5 volt 300B's are probably close to the same price.

My TJ's are still holding up, though one is a little quirky in circuit monitoring voltage.

I'm in the same dilemma pretty much, except I'm 2.5 volts filament voltage. I'm about ready to change that PS tranny out and convert back to 2A3. The loudness factor isn't enough to justify 300B, IME.

I can then try different types of 2A3's, instead of being stuck with a 2.5 volt 300B.

And the PS xformer I used before had a copper strap, which I think may be why the amp is just a bit more noisy now, not too sure on that.

I have these Lowery Organ amplifiers, 6550 PP's.

The PS transformers have 940 volts on the secondary for some odd reason, the amp uses a 6V6 pass tube to drop the voltage. It's a weird circuit.

The thought of going El-34 PP went across, and using choke input to get the voltage down to that 400 volt area.

But those PS xformers have just pretty much the right voltage for a pair of SV 811-10 mono amps.

And have the James 6123 20 watt OPT's.

The 6.3 volts at around 4 amps may be a challenge.

And the driver circuit will have to be some low impedance.

I'll still have OPT's with around a 3550 ohm secondary for another project.

It's easy to ponder.....

Thanks for the heads up jazman.

I have already ordered a pair of new EH 300B Gold Grids for $119.99. I was really wanting Sophias or TJs but I have already spent my allowance plus this month.8.gif

I waited for the new billing month on my Cabella's Card before ordering.9.gif

Rick