Outdoor speakers?

hwatkins

I am shopping for pool side/ eave mounted stereo and would like to hear folks opinions. I am looking at various options, but have been most interested in:

SA-2

SA-3

HS-1

CA-5T

I am least sure of the HS and wonder about the bypass on the 5T for 8 ohm operation (what does that do, if anything, to the efficiency rating?). Any and all opinions appreciated. Other options will be gladly reviewed....

Thanks in advance.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 9:20:53 AM hwatkins wrote:

I am shopping for pool side/ eave mounted stereo and would like to hear folks opinions. I am looking at various options, but have been most interested in:

SA-2

SA-3

HS-1

CA-5T

I am least sure of the HS and wonder about the bypass on the 5T for 8 ohm operation (what does that do, if anything, to the efficiency rating?). Any and all opinions appreciated. Other options will be gladly reviewed....

Thanks in advance.

----------------

The bypass does not affect the efficiency rating at all on this speaker. All it does is take the 70 volt transformer out of the circuit.

On commercial sound systems, the line impedance is about 500 ohms (or 70 volts). This allows many speakers to be hooked up to one line without having the impedance drop so low that it will damage the amplifier.

But most speakers are rated for 8 ohms. The transformer drops the impedance from the 500 ohms down to 8 ohms. If your speaker line is at 8 ohms already (like almost all home systems) then you can just bypass the transformer and you're set!

I have SA-2s and while they are nice sounding efficient speakers they do not sound anything like my klipschorns or my RB-3s...they are somewhat strident in the highs and don't go too deep. however I have not heard many other patio speakers so they may be the best out there...sorry if that is not too much help but I do find myself from time to time wondering if there are any better outdoor speakers on the market...what is your budget? warm regards, tony

I use some old beat up Pro lascala fiberglass covered cabnets for out side use in my back yard they are set up with stock drivers and crossovers.

I just cover them at night and when it rains with a cover. been working fine for 3 years now.

I just picked up a pair of the Pro hereys with the fiberglass covering think I'll use them as my camping set up.

Thanks everyone for their comments.

Thanks Minn - I figured as much on the 8 ohm, but needed a knowledgable person to help.

Thanks Sunny for your experience. I am looking for a more pleasing sound for the backyard/porch/pool/deck. Aesthetics and smaller size was part of what I am after with s touch of higher efficiency to possibly get away from that darn hiss I have when trying t get a bit of volume out of the wireless (cheap) speakers. I have listened to the Niles stuff and was quite unimpressed - I would go with Yamaha that was less than half the price and I am quite sure that a bad Klipsch product would beat either one. No real budget for this - I can always be talked into over spending...

Khorn - LOL - thanks for getting this thread toward Fini's suggestion of turning the Khorn into an indoor/outdoor speaker. Was DMan or Qman that turned it on its side for a center - I am starting to visualize now - hung from the porch rafters. I am sure the lovely wife will see the beauty of it.... Now I do like the Lascala concept but probably a bit large and I have had Heresy out doors - their sealed design really makes them bass shallow without the assistance of walls (small ported speakers will project better or add a ported bass bin somewhere). That old professional ported heresy might do the trick though.

Thanks to all for your help.

I am also looking. My faithful Klipsch dealer is a 3hr drive so havn't heard the SA's compared to any I own. I made up my mind if they sound at least as good as my plastic cabinet $120/pr on Ebay KSB 1.1's, I will buy.

Maybe you are right about outdoor speakers not sounding the best.

I listened to Paradigm's outdoor approx $360/pr. compared to their smallest bookshelf, $200 Atom (i think). The outdoor not near as good.

good luck

gib

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:26:59 PM khorn58 wrote:

I use some old beat up Pro lascala fiberglass covered cabnets for out side use in my back yard they are set up with stock drivers and crossovers.

I just cover them at night and when it rains with a cover. been working fine for 3 years now.

I just picked up a pair of the Pro hereys with the fiberglass covering think I'll use them as my camping set up.

----------------

Daaaaamn! I thought I was the only weirdo, but you "Khorn58" take the cake.

Man! When we going camping.